In-game music volume issue

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Tpcool said:
OK, I have a question with OrgMaker. Kinda. So here's what happens: I make a song in Orgmaker, it sounds fine. When I use ResHacker and add it to the game, sometimes weird things happen with the volume levels. About every few songs I add, towards the end of the song, one or a few specific notes play really loud for some reason, even though I never told it to play that loud. If I delete the notes that don't work right, it plays fine. If I try adding them again, and sometimes even slightly change the the position of them, I still get the same troubling volume increase. I feel like I'm the only one who has had this problem, since I've never seen this asked before. That leads me to believe I'm either doing something wrong in Orgmaker, or perhaps I'm missing something in ResHacker or the game itself. If you're not understanding what I'm asking, please tell me, as I can post an example.
This is a question that I asked in the Quick Modding/Hacking Answers Thread. I figured that asking my question there wasn't the best place to do so, therefore I'm now asking here. This time around, I have both a video and the org itself to help you all identify the problem better than before.

Here is the same org I've been having trouble with. Maybe you can experiment with this by adding this to an unmodified version of Cave Story and tell me if you have the same volume issue that I've been experiencing.

In any case, tell me what you think. Any help / recommendations are appreciated.

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:08 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
There was a similar situation happening to me where I made a version of the Decisive Battle theme from FF6 in Orgmaker and when put in the game with ResHacker, the bass drum would play in place of the open hi-hat.

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:28 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
TLincoln said:
There was a similar situation happening to me where I made a version of the Decisive Battle theme from FF6 in Orgmaker and when put in the game with ResHacker, the bass drum would play in place of the open hi-hat.
Hmm... are you sure that wasn't because you didn't correctly set the percussion instruments? I don't know if you've read this thread or not, but you have to use those instruments in the correct order. I believe I tried putting a song in the game before with the correct instruments, but in the incorrect order. The percussion came out weird in-game. You have to make sure the percussion is set to those exact instruments in the exact order for it to play properly in-game.

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:25 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
EDIT: After testing, I don't think Resource Hacker is causing the issue. See my next post.

I don't make Cave Story mods, but I have modded things with resource editors once or twice. I remember Resource Hacker messing up something once, something like omitting a byte at the end of some binary data resource I was trying to insert. I don't remember the details, and I can't remember if upgrading to a newer version resolved that problem.

To check if your Resource Hacker might be messing something up, maybe test with another resouce editor like XN Resource Editor, or check if there's a new version of Resource Hacker.

Oct 3, 2013 at 5:08 AM
War criminal
Tpcool said:
Hmm... are you sure that wasn't because you didn't correctly set the percussion instruments? I don't know if you've read this thread or not, but you have to use those instruments in the correct order. I believe I tried putting a song in the game before with the correct instruments, but in the incorrect order. The percussion came out weird in-game. You have to make sure the percussion is set to those exact instruments in the exact order for it to play properly in-game.
Now, I have. I didn't realise that Resource Hacker can be so picky on which percussion instrument it wants to play.

Oct 3, 2013 at 5:19 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Actually, it's the game itself causing the problem. While orgmaker lets you change the percussion track sounds, the game's percussion track sounds are invariable.

Oct 3, 2013 at 5:22 AM
hi hi
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Hey, Tpcool.
I just post to tell you that you're not the only one.
My brother (Majk) once made a song in OrgMaker, then he inserted it into his mod. And the last long note in that song was extremely loud, even though he didn't even touch the volume panel.

So I'm joining the question. I want to know if that is something that we can fix in some way.

Edit: Dunc is a ninja

Oct 4, 2013 at 3:19 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I tested replacing the CURLY ORG resource (the title screen music) with various short ORG files. It seems Cave Story sometimes ignores the last volume event in each track and uses a loud value instead. I can't tell if it's a bug in Cave Story or in some other driver or system setting, but we both seem to have the problem.

You can work around the issue by putting an additional volume event after the last note ends in every track. It can even be after the ending repeat marker (the area that never gets reached). It seems just having an additional volume event means it's now the last one that gets ignored.

Oct 4, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Bavi_H said:
I tested replacing the CURLY ORG resource (the title screen music) with various short ORG files. It seems Cave Story sometimes ignores the last volume event in each track and uses a loud value instead. I can't tell if it's a bug in Cave Story or in some other driver or system setting, but we both seem to have the problem.

You can work around the issue by putting an additional volume event after the last note ends in every track. It can even be after the ending repeat marker (the area that never gets reached). It seems just having an additional volume event means it's now the last one that gets ignored.
Wonderful, that worked perfectly! Thank you very much for the help, I'm very glad that this issue has been solved.