I'm re-doing my Cave Story low% speedrun.

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:35 PM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Dec 7, 2009 at 11:51 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Good luck

p.s over 4,500 posts and ive never noticed you before :rolleyes:

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:01 AM
Slacker
Heh thanks. I lurk alot here >_>

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:43 AM
"Huzzah!"
over 4,500? looks more like over 450, but I haven't seen him here either =D

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:36 AM
Slacker
After about an hour of trying to see if this would work I was beginning to think it wasn't possible... but..I finally got it right (once out of like 200 tries).

http://ia331333.us.archive.org/1/items/Cave_Story_Low_Percent_Speedrun/GrasstownTrick2.wmv

Doing this will cut the time down a lot, as you don't have to go through the fireplace AT ALL.

It's also ridiculously hard to do >_> It's way easier with more than 3 HP cause you can just take 2 or 3 hits and get up there but with 3 HP you have to depend on a lot of luck with getting the heart and the bats being in the right position..

But I think I'm getting slightly more consistent with performing it correctly once I get the heart to spawn :X

Back to practicing I goo..

Dec 8, 2009 at 3:13 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
That's crazy!

lol, I used that trick on my last playthrough... I hadn't ever tried it before then; but opening up the inventory window allows you to take another hit immediately; and if you're holding down the jump button you bounce high; so you can take as much damage/jump as much as you want :D

...but on a 3hp run? yikes... I'm not a fan of insta-death :rolleyes:
Looking forward to *watching* the speedrun :D

Dec 8, 2009 at 3:29 AM
Slacker
X-Calibar said:
That's crazy!

lol, I used that trick on my last playthrough... I hadn't ever tried it before then; but opening up the inventory window allows you to take another hit immediately; and if you're holding down the jump button you bounce high; so you can take as much damage/jump as much as you want :D

...but on a 3hp run? yikes... I'm not a fan of insta-death :D
Looking forward to *watching* the speedrun :D

Yeah hahah... I didn't think it was possible with 3HP at first, but I kept trying it...finally got it to work. It's really tricky >_>...

I'm finally being able to pull it off consistently after about 2 hours practice :x

Dec 8, 2009 at 3:39 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Go for gold?

Ah, another low percent, complete Cave Story run?
You, ser, have my sincerest wishes of good luck, as I'd never attempt something so frustrating :D;
{Let alone twice. :D}

Dec 8, 2009 at 3:46 AM
Slacker
Re: Go for gold?

VoidMage_Lowell said:
You, ser, have my sincerest wishes of good luck, as I'd never attempt something so frustrating :D;

Hahah yes. Speeddemosarchive just announced that freeware games are now acceptable to run so I'm re-doing it to make sure it's great enough to be accepted

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:51 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Freaking awesome dude. Dunno if you saw this thread but it might have some useful stuff in it too. I didn't know you could open the menu to reset invincibility :D Echoing the good luck sentiments, the finishing product will be most excellent methinks :D

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:05 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
Chaddykins said:
Pretty much covers what I want to say in the topic name :X

I'll post my segments and other developments as I go.

Developments to come soon.

1st Development- Figuring out that skipping Chaco's Fireplace is possible with only 3 HP (holy hellll)
http://ia331333.us.archive.org/1/items/Cave_Story_Low_Percent_Speedrun/GrasstownTrick2.wmv
Oh nice, look forward to seeing your progress!

VoidMage_Lowell said:

ive done a 3hp once (let alone a min %), and that was more then enough incentive to never wanna try it again ._.

Dec 8, 2009 at 5:57 PM
Slacker
First segment done :D

http://ia331332.us.archive.org/1/items/Cave_Story_Low_Percent_Speedrun/Seg1_CSLow.wmv

Goes all the way up to getting the charcoal from Santa's house.

Now to pray I have some decent luck and can get that trick to work >_>

DoubleThink said:
Freaking awesome dude. Dunno if you saw this thread but it might have some useful stuff in it too. I didn't know you could open the menu to reset invincibility :D Echoing the good luck sentiments, the finishing product will be most excellent methinks :D

Oh snapz, I didn't know there was someone else who was going to work on a speedrun :x every time I hear it though I kinda just pretend it's not true >_> cause it kinda never seems to happen.

Also :x I want criticism =o if you think a segment sucks, or something can be improved, don't hesitate to say something >_>

Dec 8, 2009 at 11:06 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Any chance that you will do commentary?

Dec 9, 2009 at 3:12 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Chaddykins said:
Oh snapz, I didn't know there was someone else who was going to work on a speedrun :x every time I hear it though I kinda just pretend it's not true >_> cause it kinda never seems to happen.
I somehow have a feeling that groobo might be doing an any% run, probably should have made that clearer, my bad. I'll update this post once I've watched the segments.

Seg 1 - Obviously a few hiccups with talking to people and mistiming jumps and stuff (nasty miss at around the 9.5 minute mark), but these segments are a lot longer than the old ones were. The Egg Corridor could be a few seconds faster if you only shoot what's fastest to get to Lv3 before Igor, but there's not much room for that since you skip the second half of it running along the bottom (nice, btw). The Igor fight was ideal. Quality-wise I'm getting a bit of vertical stretching along the middle of the video at times, I hope that doesn't turn out to be a problem because SDA is picky about quality :x Obviously this is already way faster than you were getting to this point last time, but I think an "optimal" run could pull another ~10 seconds out or so.

Seg 2 - Better run through Grasstown this time. Is it necessary to check the door after talking to Kazuma? I'm not sure it is... Excellent Balrog fight, and a good clean segment overall aside from the couple of bad jumps near the end.

I wouldn't mind a commentary either >_>

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:33 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
DoubleThink said:
Seg 2 - Better run through Grasstown this time. Is it necessary to check the door after talking to Kazuma? I'm not sure it is...
Looking at the scripting...
Code:
<PRI<MSGWhat?<NOD It's not the key to
this room?!<NOD
Well, that's just great...<NOD<CLR.....<NOD<FL+0223<EVE0235
That's the only one I saw with a flag in it, so it should be the only one that would be required. {Haven't watched the video yet, so not sure which comment you're talking about}
You also have to talk to him for the Gum Key, but I'm sure you already know that :o

But I'd still try it myself, if I had the time, just to make sure before attempting another speed run....
DoubleThink said:
I wouldn't mind a commentary either >_>
I third this, but it might actually slow you down, so maybe you could add in stuff after the original recording?

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:44 AM
"Huzzah!"
Re: Quick pop in

good luck!

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:24 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Code:
<PRI<FL+0216<MSGThere's no keyhole.<NOD
The door must be rusted shut.<NOD<END

Actually, you have to check the door so you know to tell malco the door's rusted shut. I know, because I try and skip it sometimes and get :o because I have to go back.

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:31 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator

VoidMage_Lowell said:
I third this, but it might actually slow you down, so maybe you could add in stuff after the original recording?
I think that was the idea :o

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:52 AM
Slacker

I could do commentary hahah...I think my voice sucks though hahaha but I can.

Thanks for the feedback DT :o as for the quality of the videos, I can re-encode them to different qualities I just chose the one right now because it's the only one that actually encodes at 50 fps (which cave story runs at) :x.

As for the segments themselves, do you think I should I should try re-doing them to get a better time? That question is the reason I haven't done more segments yet really, cause I don't want to do like 4 more segments and then have to start back at the beginning >_> at least I assume that's the case because of XP on weapons and HP and etc.

And yeah as others have said you do have to check that door for sure, otherwise Malco just leaves you at "ALL I KNOW HOW TO DO IS MAKE EXPLOSIVES..."

On segment two I had some mess-ups(missing jumping on Balrog's head and getting hit too. That whatchacallit scaring the jesus out of me because I didn't jump and almost just ran into him >_>) and some bad luck so if it is advised I would gladly re-do that one and since the 1st segment isn't too terribly difficult (since it requires little luck thank god) if you think I should re-do them then no prob.