Ikachan (preview 1)

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:51 PM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
What a coincidence, considering I had also released a Cave Story ported Ikachan map on my profile feed about two weeks ago. Weird, huh? (I hope this doesn't make you feel like I'm accusing you of plagiarism, because I sincerely am not doing so.) The solid yellow block that appears on shooting the breakable blocks is sort of hurting my eyes, I hope it's a placeholder. So, now to change sprites, hack NPC movements, do something useful with all those blue fish scattered all around, radically change the physics (perhaps), maybe use an English version, and change dialogues. Did I miss anything? That seems like a lot of work to do. Or were you just wanting to use the map, instead of a whole game change? If so, you're done already! But considering it's still called a preview, you probably have more in mind. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 19, 2015 at 3:36 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Screenshots..?

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:23 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
All you would really need to do is make it universe 1, add an invisible dog to every level, and change the sprite calls for the physics edit. Ass for the level up, try looking through Haunted House Story Revised for level up. You would have to make some heavy edits to the NPCs and the bullet physics, but it's entirely doable. I won't be much help, though. I just know how they could work, not how to make them. I could supply you with the hack that Randolf gave me that allows directions to change in <UNI0001, though. I'll try to see if there's anything else that needs work. I hope you have luck in making this!
Oh, also do <FON(Whatever number the dog will be) 0001 to every start of the level for it to work.

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:41 PM
Perpetually out of it
Why the japanese version?

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:56 AM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I was thinking of doing this some day... Also please fix the link, Firefox doesn't like anything and says "The connection was reset"

Mar 20, 2015 at 1:29 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
I hope the refusal to use a patched/prepatched version of CS doesn't turn into the status quo for new modders.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:33 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
IdioticBaka1824 said:
What a coincidence, considering I had also released a Cave Story ported Ikachan map on my profile feed about two weeks ago. Weird, huh? (I hope this doesn't make you feel like I'm accusing you of plagiarism, because I sincerely am not doing so.) The solid yellow block that appears on shooting the breakable blocks is sort of hurting my eyes, I hope it's a placeholder. So, now to change sprites, hack NPC movements, do something useful with all those blue fish scattered all around, radically change the physics (perhaps), maybe use an English version, and change dialogues. Did I miss anything? That seems like a lot of work to do. Or were you just wanting to use the map, instead of a whole game change? If so, you're done already! But considering it's still called a preview, you probably have more in mind. Good luck!
I hadn't seen your link, and it seems the link is broken anyway.. The solid yellow block is very much a placeholder. I plan to port most, if not all of Ikachan, possibly including the music. The initial version will be in Japanese.

Bionicobot said:
All you would really need to do is make it universe 1, add an invisible dog to every level, and change the sprite calls for the physics edit. Ass for the level up, try looking through Haunted House Story Revised for level up. You would have to make some heavy edits to the NPCs and the bullet physics, but it's entirely doable. I won't be much help, though. I just know how they could work, not how to make them. I could supply you with the hack that Randolf gave me that allows directions to change in <UNI0001, though. I'll try to see if there's anything else that needs work. I hope you have luck in making this!Oh, also do <FON(Whatever number the dog will be) 0001 to every start of the level for it to work.
I'm going to base my ASM modding upon Ikachan itself, but I haven't figured out how everything works yet.

Why the japanese version?
The initial version will be in Japanese.

I hope the refusal to use a patched/prepatched version of CS doesn't turn into the status quo for new modders.
Not sure what you mean?

Mar 20, 2015 at 4:07 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
q3hardcore said:
oh, that was intentional
q3hardcore said:
Not sure what you mean?
the guy who released that balrog mod used an untranslated cs which caused problems. you're the second in a row to not use a patched version

Mar 20, 2015 at 4:07 AM
Perpetually out of it
q3hardcore said:
Why would you release a mod to a forum which is mostly comprised of people who can only speak english in a language that almost no one here understands
Granted you might be going for authenticity or something but it really comes across as a bad decision any way you look at it, that is unless your native language is Japanese

Mar 20, 2015 at 4:17 AM
Yinga said:
Why would you release a mod to a forum which is mostly comprised of people who can only speak english in a language that almost no one here understands
Granted you might be going for authenticity or something but it really comes across as a bad decision any way you look at it, that is unless your native language is Japanese
Fair point. I plan to upload it to http://doukutsu.rdy.jp/ when it's more complete, so that's the main reason.

Mar 20, 2015 at 4:56 AM
Perpetually out of it
Could you maybe release a version in English for the forums then?
Since it's here and all and almost none of us speak Japanese, it's a bit discouraging for people to play through a game where they have no idea what they're reading

Mar 20, 2015 at 5:06 AM
Yinga said:
Could you maybe release a version in English for the forums then?
Since it's here and all and almost none of us speak Japanese, it's a bit discouraging for people to play through a game where they have no idea what they're reading
Once I start work on porting the script and add some of the entities. At present, there's not really anything to read.

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:03 AM
How are you going to manage to so completely rework the physics? It seems basically impossible.

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:11 AM
IdioticBaka1824 said:
How are you going to manage to so completely rework the physics? It seems basically impossible.
I could either re-write Ikachan's physics in C, and load it as a DLL, or do ASM hacking.
But physics isn't a major priority for me now. It doesn't need to be done for it to be playable.

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:18 PM
Oh right.
Also, you should probably change the breakable block sprite in NpcSym to sponge block. Also, for the yellow placeholder, here's my little chip-in:
p194766-0-9fgmcfw.png

Basically I deleted the darkest areas in the sponge block and shifted the color ramp one tone darker.
Also here is a post about Ikachan's theme Organya by GIRakaCHEEZER. I hope he gives permission to use it.