I need help at hacking.

Jun 20, 2009 at 1:08 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hello, I've been trying to make a mod/hack in C.S. but I can't understand the commands, I need someone to help me with it :(

Also, I've tried to search for this Cave Story Hacking FAQ and I don't know where it is.
If it is the "Advanced Hacking FAQ" thread by RuneLancer, then I don't understand..

Please do help.. :(

Jun 20, 2009 at 3:01 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
What commands? You mean TSC commands? You can find a whole list of TSC commands in a text document located somewhere in some post in the Cave Story Hacking Forum section (called "Hacking/Modding")

And btw, if you do not know how to use them contextually, go study Pixel's original TSC commands by opening the original Cave Story.exe in Sue's Workshop. Sue's Workshop can be easily found using the search function.

Not gonna spoonfeed you :(

Jun 20, 2009 at 3:11 PM
Luls
Onule said:
TSC commands is this?
http://dragonboots.netfirms.com/tsc/TSC.htm
Also, it's easier using Sue's Workshop or Cave Editor?
I currently have Cave Editor.

Yep! Wow I'm surprised you didn't start kicking up a fuss xD (no offence) 'cause there have been so many cases where noobs make noise when we refuse to give them what they want without effort on their part :x

And.. well, diff people have diff opinions on that issue, 'cause Cave Editor has many more functions than Sue's Workshop, but I find it harder to write script in Cave Editor. I prefer Sue's Workshop, if you ask me xD I like writing out the script manually instead of dragging and dropping TSC commands lol.

Jun 20, 2009 at 3:15 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I prefer the term "newb".. <__<
Also, I'm trying to, for example, make my character fall from the top of a map, look up and talk. How do I try that? It's kind of complicated.. Just an example please. :(

Jun 20, 2009 at 6:13 PM
Luls
Onule said:
I prefer the term "newb".. <__<
Also, I'm trying to, for example, make my character fall from the top of a map, look up and talk. How do I try that? It's kind of complicated.. Just an example please. :(

-_-

Shall give you pseudo code...

1) Freeze player input
2) Transport person to top of map
3) Wait until person touches floor before continuing script
4) Crashing animation
5) Stand animation

:( Now you go figure out how to achieve this using the TSC commands.

Jun 20, 2009 at 6:27 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Metalogz said:
And.. well, diff people have diff opinions on that issue, 'cause Cave Editor has many more functions than Sue's Workshop, but I find it harder to write script in Cave Editor. I prefer Sue's Workshop, if you ask me xD I like writing out the script manually instead of dragging and dropping TSC commands lol.

What?

You don't drag and drop TSC commands in CaveEditor, wtfork are you smoking?

Have you even TRIED to script with CE before 0.o?????

You have to write it out, just like with SW. Know your programs before you comment on them.

Jun 20, 2009 at 7:52 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
What?

You have to write it out, just like with SW. Know your programs before you comment on them.

You can double click them..
Also, thanks Metalogz

Jun 20, 2009 at 8:58 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Onule said:
You can double click them..
Also, thanks Metalogz

Really? Learn something new every day... Still, that's not "dragging and dropping".

And you can type it in manually like with SW. I just use the sidebar in CE as a quick reference for what the commands mean. It's hard to keep them all memorized.

Jun 20, 2009 at 10:10 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ugh, this is more complicated than I though..
I keep getting a black screen the moment my character falls..

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:32 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
You have been using the Search Button, right?
I learned all of this myself O.o;

When you say "Black Screen", do you mean Cave Story crashed, or is it still running and you can still move around, and such?
If it's the latter, this is why you should be looking around the original script and reading all of the TSC commands before doing any actual scripting....
If the game's still running, you probably faded out {<FAO} and never faded back in {<FAI}, which leaves you with a black screen, while your character can still move.

If this isn't your problem, then I need more details o.o;
And you should read the TSC commands some more, so you'll be able to figure it out, yourself :D

Jun 21, 2009 at 7:46 AM
Luls
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
What?

Orly? I thought I heard someone talking about dragging and dropping TSC commands in some thread about CE >.>

I guess you have the choice of writing out the script manually or to insert them by clicking them or stuff in CE lol. :x

But I still prefer Sue's :D

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:18 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
VoidMage_Lowell said:
You have been using the Search Button, right?
I learned all of this myself O.o;

When you say "Black Screen", do you mean Cave Story crashed, or is it still running and you can still move around, and such?
If it's the latter, this is why you should be looking around the original script and reading all of the TSC commands before doing any actual scripting....
If the game's still running, you probably faded out {<FAO} and never faded back in {<FAI}, which leaves you with a black screen, while your character can still move.

If this isn't your problem, then I need more details o.o;
And you should read the TSC commands some more, so you'll be able to figure it out, yourself :D

Yes, I've been using the search button, not much success through.
Also, the game is still running, it's probably the <FAO.

EDIT: I've set {<FAI} but it's not working..

EDIT2: I fixed the problem now, but when I fall to water, I drown in like.. the moment I touch. Just wow.

EDIT3: I removed the water now, I hear some text sounds, hope you know what I mean, and you can see the character before it fades out..

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:18 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Try uploading the mod and tell us where it is. =\

If nobody else does, I can probably look at it and tell you what's wrong.

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:28 PM
Luls
Onule said:
Yes, I've been using the search button, not much success through.
Also, the game is still running, it's probably the <FAO.

EDIT: I've set {<FAI} but it's not working..

EDIT2: I fixed the problem now, but when I fall to water, I drown in like.. the moment I touch. Just wow.

EDIT3: I removed the water now, I hear some text sounds, hope you know what I mean, and you can see the character before it fades out..

....?

Did you enter the water IMMEDIATELY after you just <TRA's into a new map or IMMEDIATELY just started the game? (And when I say that, I mean IMMEDIATELY) 'cause the script for the oxygen countdown needs time to load before it can be read properly. That's probably the reason why you died instantly, 'cause the oxygen countdown event didn't load, so it just jumped straight to the drowning event. Normally it takes just a few ticks (fractions of a second, I think) to load up the background scripts. Best not to start your mod in water then! xD

And usually when you hear text sounds while there isn't any text being displayed, it means that there are syntax errors in your script. When syntax errors are met, the .exe is unable to identify the mistyped command and treats it as random text. Hence it reads it as if it were normal words, but does not display them on-screen as there isn't a <MSG command to display the text. Check your script and see if you've mistyped a TSC command or used a non-existant one by accident.
(Btw, <UNJ doesn't exist. Gotta remove that from the TSC.txt, if you haven't already :D )

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:47 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Another common error for the random text sounds is if you've got your events mixed up or something...
For example, if the game was told to run event 0100, but that event didn't exist in that room, it would just keep running through each event after it {0101, 0102, 0103...} until it finds something with an <END. {It'll also run whatever that event had in it, so you could have your character randomly getting +3 health when it ends.... :D;}
While it's running through those, it makes text-typing noise...
This commonly happens if the <TRA's event is not set right. I've done it a lot XD

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:00 AM
Hoxtilicious
btw. You should try out both SW and CE.
Some new members have trouble using SW, so they stick to CE.
Some other members, a lot of old members are using SW though.
Most member are using SW. It's like 2:1.

Jun 24, 2009 at 8:59 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Oh and maybe your events are labelled with three digits instead of 4?

If the event is 100, you have to write #0100 instead of #100.

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:25 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The script is this

"#0200
<KEY<FAO0000<MOV0017:0000<CLO<MNA<CMU0008<FAI0004<END"

Jun 24, 2009 at 5:05 PM
Luls
Onule said:
The script is this

"#0200
<KEY<FAO0000<MOV0017:0000<CLO<MNA<CMU0008<FAI0004<END"

<CLO is only used for CLOsing a text box. Seeing as there isn't a <MSG, <MS2 or <MS3 to begin one, there isn't a need to include that in the above script. This isn't the cause of the problem though. I think...

Mind if we have a look at the whole script? Unless this is your whole script so far... 'cause it could be a problem with the events before and after this event.