I am planning to contribute an unofficial Windows Spanish version...

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Please read the post very carefully.

I don't have a mac, but still I downloaded the incompleted Spanish translation from http://cavestory.gafapasta.com. When I looked in the pack, I located the data folder within and took it out. Then placed the data folder in the folder I am working in and put in the Doukutsu.exe windows program as well as the OrgView.exe and DoConfig.exe programs. I have run the program and it works. I looked into the program using Sue's Workshop. Yes, there were translations in most of the dialogs, just not the graphics, Hell dialogs, and part of the endgame credits.

I know a little of that language. I was using a little english-spanish spanish-english book to translate them all including the Doukutsu.exe (for map titles) and renamed the program. I also fixed various dialogs, some foul languages in Jail 02 and The King's Table and the bugs in the scripts by adding missing functions. Finally, I even translated the OrgView and DoConfig programs using xvi32 and Resource Hacker.

The translators (Pillows and Lord Zoltan) had never finished it yet. Last translation was in 2007.

I am going to give you an unofficial FULL spanish translation of Cave Story for the Windows. I edited the credits for the endgame by adding into the Special Thanks area (including myself), but I don't know if that will be acceptable. I hope that would help the two translators out and they will edit whenever necessary.

Remember, it is for Windows and it is unofficial. I don't know if it is acceptable. My finishing up on translation could be rough...

Download link to Unofficial Spanish Translation.

I used zSHARE for this. Open link in new window.

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:58 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Do you want this hosted on the tribute site? If not then can I still link to it?

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:57 AM
Veteran Member
I really wanted to make sure to have Pillows and Lord Zoltan approve on this but I don't know what to contact them. They had been inactive for 2 years.

After I translated the ones they neglected to do, I added upside-down question marks (¿) and exclamation points (¡) on many dialogs in every script. The worst part is I don't know which word that would have letters with an acute (´) or tildes (~) above them (however I did put letters with acutes or tildes while translating words in programs and the map display in Main Artery, just not scripts.)

Yes, you can add it in the Tribute site as you wish..... (you have to mark it "unofficial" because eventually it could be removed and replaced with hopefully, official.)

I used the Character Map program to get special characters, though.

Jan 17, 2009 at 3:35 AM
Been here way too long...
You word for word translated?
That's never going to work, firstly, the grammar is different, saying el negro pollo is as wrong as saying the dog black. Also, you most probably didn't conjugate either, and metaphors don't translate.

Fail :D

Jan 17, 2009 at 6:06 AM
Veteran Member
That is why it is unofficial and it will stay that way. The remaining parts were not translated before I came into action:
  • Graphics
  • Hell dialogs
  • Endgame credits
Anybody can help make it better before they notify the original translators. Then they will either accept it or spend a little time of polishing it out until it is well done. This should save them some work... They need to double-check out all the scripts though.

I also added words that they had been dropped in other scripts.

Jan 17, 2009 at 5:17 PM
Dude, it's beyond unofficial, it would be like me saying:

The dog crazy black to run beside me as the wind to blow down the trees.

You can sort of understand it, but barely, it is just wasted time and effort.
(Just my opinion)

Jan 19, 2009 at 12:49 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I appreciate your effort into that. I mean, you even translated OrgView!
But one thing bugs me: as Lace said, you prolly translated the game in the wrong way and it's most likely an useless effort... Sadly...

I'm not spanish neither I do know the language but there may be some members here who does... If you can find them and they agree to help you, I think that's a good way to redo your work..

You can also search for a translation group or the guys who translated Cave Story to english. Maybe they have spanish translators too..

Jan 19, 2009 at 3:20 PM
Dang, I had a whole post on how you could translate better, but I lost it, so three things.

Adjective after noun.

No need for a personal pronoun before a noun, because the noun describes it, unless you are in "they" form.

Lastly, to conjugate use word reference's online conjugator.

Have Fun!

=D

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:01 PM
"Huzzah!"
I'm no Spanish, but im Portuguese, and I know that word to word translations don't work, like from English to an Latin based Language.

I really wanted to help, but i don't have enough knowledge on spanish for translation.
Sorry

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:43 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Hi,

Well, since Spanish is my first language I think I could put something of my own to the conversion.

The Spanish I talk is Latin American (Mexico) :D, not Spanish (from Spain, español castellano); the project you mentioned above i think may be from people of Spain, but it could be adapted since there's little difference in words; a difference similar to the English version of the United States and English version of the British.

And yeah, the translation may not be equal to the original, but there are not complicated dialogs i noticed during the game.

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:16 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Yeah, Castellano is pretty much the same language in Spain as in Latin America – just a few word differences and some small pronunciation differences.