How does Qoute drown??

Jul 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Supposdly, robots wouldn't need oxygen, but it is still possible to drown.They only reason for a robot to need air is if they ran on a internal combustion engine. But that would be impossible unless every refill station was a gas pump. Also, Qoute would probably get two miles per gallon on gas.(No gasoline engines) Soo.. how in the world does Qoute drown!?!?!?!?

Possible Theory:
Water slowly seeps in from their cooling vents, causing them to short out,but this dosen't explain how water gets ejected as soon as they leave water.

Also, my first post :D

Jul 4, 2012 at 4:39 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Possible Theory:
Water slowly seeps in from their cooling vents, causing them to short out,but this dosen't explain how water gets ejected as soon as they leave water.
That's kindof what happens. There is extremely little cannonical information on how Quote and Curly work, but there is this:
a notebook in teh Waterway Cabin said:
Surface-developed robots have limitations on their operation underwater. If they are submerged for too long a period, their system automatically shuts down to avoid short-circuiting.
So basically it sounds like water eventually seaps into their bodies, and they shut down so they don't short circut. And I believe that the water stays in the body until someone drains it, because I'm pretty sure that's what was going on with Curly.

Jul 4, 2012 at 6:33 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
YES.

Jul 4, 2012 at 6:41 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
That's kindof what happens. There is extremely little cannonical information on how Quote and Curly work, but there is this:
So basically it sounds like water eventually seaps into their bodies, and they shut down so they don't short circut. And I believe that the water stays in the body until someone drains it, because I'm pretty sure that's what was going on with Curly.

Funny thing last night. I read the same exact thing in a robot operations manual in a dream.
I had dreams about Cave Story 3 years before it was released.

Jul 4, 2012 at 7:05 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Well yeah, they actually say in the game that it short-circuits them, and you have to drain the water out. Technically the word "drowning" still makes sense since it only implies death by water, not inherently human asphyxiation.

But yeah there you go, you hit the nail on the head dude.

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:06 AM
Banned
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
well drying a short circuited machine out doesn't really help. my phone went through the washer an is now completely destroyed.

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:21 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I agree with this. Also, the air tank seems to make a bubble shield, instead of actually providing air. So maybe it more of a water repelling shield than a actual "air tank"?(That runs on hydroelectricity?)

Jul 5, 2012 at 2:09 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
That doesn't explain why Quote runs out of breath though. If they were going to short-circuit it would probably just happen rather than always after an identical amount of time that resets the moment they can take a gulp of air. I blame science :critter:

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:07 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
well drying a short circuited machine out doesn't really help. my phone went through the washer an is now completely destroyed.
...You have to take it apart before the water short-circuits the mother-board. Besides, at least you didn't have to fish yours out of a toilet. :balrog:
I agree with this. Also, the air tank seems to make a bubble shield, instead of actually providing air. So maybe it more of a water repelling shield than a actual "air tank"?(That runs on hydroelectricity?)
That's the most logical explanation so far. :debug:
That doesn't explain why Quote runs out of breath though. If they were going to short-circuit it would probably just happen rather than always after an identical amount of time that resets the moment they can take a gulp of air. I blame science :critter:
...Blaming science makes as much sense as Quote running out of breath. :pignon2:

Jul 6, 2012 at 12:52 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
It's likely that the countdown is how long before his body automatically shuts down and that his body can only eject the water while still active. Of course he can't pump out water while still submerged else it would create a vacuum or just cycle more water in, the water in his body needs to be substituted with air.

Ladies and Gentlemen. Science!

Jul 6, 2012 at 12:27 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I thought of that too, but if he's capable of pumping water out I'd think he'd be able to at least do it as fast as it gets in and stop himself from getting 'over-flooded' so to speak. Or, alternate conundrum: Why would Q/C get waterlogged so easily when they're well-designed (and arguably semi-organic) in every other aspect? :sue:

Jul 7, 2012 at 7:28 AM
It's likely that the countdown is how long before his body automatically shuts down and that his body can only eject the water while still active. Of course he can't pump out water while still submerged else it would create a vacuum or just cycle more water in, the water in his body needs to be substituted with air.

Ladies and Gentlemen. Science!
Creating a vaccum would not cause any bad side effects. Remember that Quote doesn't need air. Also, creating a vaccum would actually be a good thing, Air contains dust, with messes up circuitry.

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:44 PM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
Theory:

Because "Qoute" is not Quote and so he was drowned to make room for the protagonist.

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:58 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Oh you. Now I'm imagining Qoute to be the equivalent of Homsar.

Jul 8, 2012 at 12:04 PM
I made a simple circuit on how it works.
First there are two water detecting devices. When they both detect water they send a signal to a AND gate. Then the AND gate sends a signal into a ten-second delay(About how long it takes Quote to "drown". If the water is still there after 10 seconds, the system shuts off. When the water is drained, the AND gate deactivates, and the system reboots.

Picture
2012-07-08_06.51.53.png
The blocks with a checkerboard pattern represent the water detectors. The white blocks from the AND gate, and the gray diode like blocks are delays. Lastly the blue block is the power source.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 9, 2012 at 4:38 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Because Redstone is exactly the same as real circuitry? :p

I kid, that's actually really slick.
Unfortunately it would be hard to drain the water and reboot if you're immersed in it D:

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:13 AM
Banned
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
this is completely off topic, but i don't think you can put redstone under water.
now back on topic. in the game you don't eject water from your system, or need to. you just die. if i could update the game, i would have it so you COULD drain water from your system through one of those pipe mazes, or puzzles.if i could mod...

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:47 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Creating a vaccum would not cause any bad side effects. Remember that Quote doesn't need air. Also, creating a vaccum would actually be a good thing, Air contains dust, with messes up circuitry.
I shouldn't have mentioned a vacuum as it's impossible in this scenario. A vacuum will always try to fill itself. The nature of vacuums apply to everything really, if matter is removed it is substituted so as to not create a void empty of matter, be it with air, water, whatever. So you remove water from Quote's body then more water will be drawn in to take it's place so as to not create a vacuum. In fact pumps rely on this force (lets call it suction for now) to pull water through the pipes to the pump itself. If you can maintain a vacuum inside Quote's body then by nature he is already waterproof because nothing can get in, which isn't the case.