Graphics in java

Oct 27, 2013 at 8:09 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
So let's assume that I'm makeing a 2d role playing game in java. What whold be the ideal tool for displaying the graphics efficiantly?

thanks

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:48 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
www.processing.org

I highly recommend you take a look at this tool. It's got built-in graphics libraries, just look at the reference pages.

So let's assume that this is your first time programming a game. Don't make an RPG. Or make an incredibly simple RPG.

Oct 28, 2013 at 2:39 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
the ideal tool is to not use java
that's not me being a hornses ass either, java is kind of not the best at this kind of stuff.
but I'd recommend just using Graphics2D and ImageIO classes if you really wanna use Java since that's basically got anything you could want without a lot of undocumented bullshit magic

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:05 AM
Noxid said:
that's not me being a hornses ass either, java is kind of not the best at this kind of stuff.
but I'd recommend just using Graphics2D and ImageIO classes if you really wanna use Java since that's basically got anything you could want without a lot of undocumented bullshit magic
I know that java isn't the best. I'm just useing it because... Actualy I don't know why. I realy dont wanna rewrite all the code I have. If it wasn't for that, I'd swich to C# or C++ in a minute.

anyway thanks for the suggestions.

Oct 29, 2013 at 3:33 AM
Professional Whatever
You should switch anyway because no matter how much progress you've already made you really, really, really do not want to write a game in a language you don't like

Oct 29, 2013 at 4:32 AM
MagicDoors said:
You should switch anyway because no matter how much progress you've already made you really, really, really do not want to write a game in a language you don't like

I like it fine, it's just not the best.

Besides, lazy and programmer are synonimous.

Oct 29, 2013 at 7:15 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
MagicDoors said:
Java is sufficient for something like a 2D game, but it's not optimal. Still, it should be good enough since 2D is pretty lightweight if done right.

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:15 AM
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Java is sufficient for something like a 2D game, but it's not optimal. Still, it should be good enough since 2D is pretty lightweight if done right.

Thats pretty much what I figured.

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:15 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Okay sorry to bring this thread up again but I really want to mention some things.

Noxid said:
I'll admit Noxid was right, you should start out using those libraries and learning Java first. If you're going to use tools like Processing, you should know the language already, and get a good understanding of how your tools work under the hood.

However... I've looked at a lot of free tools and yes, Mr. Noxid, many of them are poorly documented bull****. But Processing is well documented, has many active users and provides a lot of good features. And a nice IDE to debug with.

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
^ This is completely true. ^
Minecraft is a good example of how unoptimized Java is.

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:01 PM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
no, java is nearly impossible for graphics. Trust me ive tried. A good tool would be gamemaker or Multimedia Fusion (recently renamed clickteam fusion)

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:05 PM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Meh, City of Death couldn've been a bit...cleaner in the graphics department, but it can definitely be done.
Just look at polished Java games like the tons of flash games on the internet and Minecraft.

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:25 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Nadojin said:
Meh, City of Death couldn've been a bit...cleaner in the graphics department, but it can definitely be done.
Just look at polished Java games like the tons of flash games on the internet and Minecraft.
Flash games != Java.

They run on Actionscript which is (or is based on?) Javascript, but Javascript isn't Java, despite the odd naming convention.

Feb 18, 2014 at 3:54 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Lately I've been looking into Google Dart. It's another tool with a built-in compiler and I wouldn't really recommend it for new programmers, although I thought I'd bring it up anyway. It's basically a new language with syntax based on Java, and the software compiles it into HTML5 and Javascript in a bundle that you can run in a browser. If you know Java well enough, you could use it, but it helps to know something about all the languages used.

A friend of mine actually helped me port my entire Java game's code over to it, and we literally just copy-pasted all the code files and changed the parts that work differently in Dart. It actually runs better now and I was able to double the default framerate with no trouble. It's surprisingly well optimized.

Feb 23, 2014 at 5:21 AM
funwillfunwill said:
A good tool would be gamemaker
Ha, ha! What a funny, funny joke. You know, I almost took you seriously there and considered makeing a post about how you should leave this to the real programers, but the mere implication that gamemaker does not suck was too outlandish to posibly be serious.

THE ABOVE POST MAY CONTAIN SARCASIM

Seriously though, no ofence intended, but your wrong.

edit: Sorry if this is a little strong, I didn't mean to insult anyone. If it is insulting to you, I'm sorry, unless your a bad person which I have not enough insight into your personality to infer, but I assume you probably aren't, although you are likely ignorant of some things which you do that are bad, but arn't we all, and this is draging on to much and is a run-on sentence, so, bye.

Feb 23, 2014 at 6:17 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
nemesis_4000 said:
Ha, ha! What a funny, funny joke. You know, I almost took you seriously there and considered makeing a post about how you should leave this to the real programers, but the mere implication that gamemaker does not suck was too outlandish to posibly be serious.

THE ABOVE POST MAY CONTAIN SARCASIM
Game Maker isn't a bad/shitty tool for making games, it's just often used by people to make shitty games. By the logic you employ, photoshop would be a bad program because 13 year olds use it to make shitty art to post to deviantArt.

The best proof I can offer that Game Maker isn't inherently shit is probably Spelunky:
p174723-0-spelunky2d.png

Made with GameMaker

Game Maker is known to be shitty pretty much solely because, for the most part, people make shitty games with it.

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:48 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"