Gonna give this a shot...

Jan 10, 2008 at 5:24 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
...Modding that is. I have little knowledge of hackin, but I can toy around with it enough to know what goes where and how what works (that aways seems to work when certain computer related things are put into consideration) But I wanna know a few things before I dive into this full force.

-Is is possible to add sprites or do I have to edit the exsisting ones (I say this for I wanna keep some of the original characters from CS around while adding my own to the mix of things)

-Is is possible to add maps?

-And can I convert MIDI music (or another other music file) to ORG format

other than these questions, I think I can manage the other stuff on meh own (also if anyone wishes for help I'd be glad to aid in any way I can)

Jan 10, 2008 at 5:33 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Neco-Arc Chaos said:
There is no converter so you will have to do it manually, ask sp (S. P. Gardebiter) for help with this.

Jan 10, 2008 at 8:34 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
-No, but you can employ Trickery and Guile and use different sprite sheets for the same entity, as long as you don't have to have both versions of your doppelganger running about on the same map.
Works in most cases.

Also, as I believe Xaser suggested at one point, it's possible to combine above method with one where you use duplicate maps (with different sprite sheets attached to them) and switch seamlessly between those maps to create cutscenes where different characters based on the same entity can appear in succession, but not at the same time.
If you've got maps to spare you could even have scenes where an NPC is, in fact, portrayed by an immobile map tile painted to the likeness of said NPC, rather than the real deal. They can't move about much though, obviously.
It's not that bad an idea if you for some reason need a ton of different (static) NPCs on a map

-Yes, to a total limit of just over a hundred maps. Can't remember the exact number.

-No. As stated.

Jan 10, 2008 at 1:50 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Neco-Arc Chaos said:
...Modding that is. I have little knowledge of hackin, but I can toy around with it enough to know what goes where and how what works (that aways seems to work when certain computer related things are put into consideration) But I wanna know a few things before I dive into this full force.

-Is is possible to add sprites or do I have to edit the exsisting ones (I say this for I wanna keep some of the original characters from CS around while adding my own to the mix of things)

-Is is possible to add maps?

other than these questions, I think I can manage the other stuff on meh own (also if anyone wishes for help I'd be glad to aid in any way I can)

Erm... I made a thread on making custom srpites. I shall link you to it.
Sprite Editing and Frame Rects

Also, about your Adding maps, you can add any amounts of maps to your mod and delete any maps you don't wish to have in your mod off your mod. All this can be done using the latest version of Sue's Workshop. I shall link you to it too ><

Edit - Sorry couldn't ><

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 11, 2008 at 4:10 AM
"Huzzah!"
Orfvar is good, Orfvar is wise. ;P

The max. amount of maps is 128, by the way (note: 0 counts too so it's map#127 that's the cutoff point, not map#128). Cave Story itself weighed in at a good 3/4 of this limit, so chances are, you'll be safe.

Happy hacking, and if you're in need, that's what us forumers are here for.

Jan 11, 2008 at 4:22 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Xaser said:
Orfvar is good, Orfvar is wise. ;P

The max. amount of maps is 128, by the way (note: 0 counts too so it's map#127 that's the cutoff point, not map#128). Cave Story itself weighed in at a good 3/4 of this limit, so chances are, you'll be safe.

Happy hacking, and if you're in need, that's what us forumers are here for.
On the topic of Cave Story's limits, is there a large list of limits somewhere? I remember you hitting the script size limit yourself. :p

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:59 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I.P. Freely said:
On the topic of Cave Story's limits, is there a large list of limits somewhere? I remember you hitting the script size limit yourself. :p
No, but it could be figured out