Forum Spam

Nov 14, 2015 at 12:31 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
It seems that these spam users are all coming from Pakistan. Would it be too much of a stretch if I permaban an entire country?

Nov 14, 2015 at 3:23 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
not even the CSTSF is safe from these terrorist attacks

Nov 14, 2015 at 4:01 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
It seems that these spam users are all coming from Pakistan. Would it be too much of a stretch if I permaban an entire country?

I have no issue with it. It's not like you're being racist, if the spammers are all indeed coming from one source, then block the source. It's likely one person using a bunch of proxy servers to prevent his I.P. address from being blocked though. You'd think people would have better things to do...

Nov 14, 2015 at 4:04 PM
Professional Whatever
Contributing to spammy posting (off-topic, lack of content, etc)
p209657-0-llfaa.jpg

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:38 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Can't you just limit something for new users from Pakistan or what? Like for example that they can't post for a day.
whatever the case: make sure that if someone tries to join and is from Pakistan, make sure that that person gets notified about the spam issue and maybe provide a way for contact so that anybody serious from there can still join.

Nov 14, 2015 at 7:03 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Why don't you just require initial posts from new members to be approved?

Nov 14, 2015 at 7:16 PM
"Huzzah!"
Why don't you just require initial posts from new members to be approved?
the bots are posting threads and now can even comment on threads, so wouldn't that qualify as the initial post required for approving?

whatever the case: make sure that if someone tries to join and is from Pakistan, make sure that that person gets notified about the spam issue and maybe provide a way for contact so that anybody serious from there can still join.
I think something like this should be done if possible.

Nov 14, 2015 at 7:27 PM
the bots are posting threads and now can even comment on threads, so wouldn't that qualify as the initial post required for approving?
I mean require anything someone tries to post to be approved until they have a post approved.

Nov 15, 2015 at 12:41 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I mean require anything someone tries to post to be approved until they have a post approved.
So instead of just moderating spambots we add new users into the mix and potentially double our workload on this issue. I'm really not seeing the benefit. It will also inconvenience any new users.

Nov 15, 2015 at 12:44 AM
Okay, just go with what you came up with.

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:23 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Well I have implemented a simple country-based block that stops the rego form from appearing for Pakistani registrants with a message that tells legit users to contact an admin or mod so that their user account can be set up manually. I should note that while this doesn't block spambot registrations it certainly blocks human assistance. The advantage of this is that it doesn't affect any existing users.

If my theory is right then spam should slow down to a crawl. *crosses fingers*

Nov 16, 2015 at 11:17 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
It doesn't seem to have worked. I just saw one spam thread and one spam profile post.
There is a slight possibility that the spam has decreased though, but this is just a guess.

Nov 16, 2015 at 11:53 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Well there are a smaller portion of these spam messages that come from neighboring India. However given that this is the first incursion in the last 3 days I am willing to wait and see what the spam rate turns out to be.

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:03 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
It seems that spam has greatly decreased. Although there is a small amount of spam still appearing, the appearance of spambots seems to now have decreased.(That or the moderators started getting way more active, although I believe this is not the case).
I hope whoever is running these spambots doesn't notice this and starts running them from a different location(fake IP or not).

Nov 17, 2015 at 3:42 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Huh, that's funny, I never get to see any spambots....

I've only see two in the entire time I've been on the forums.

Nov 17, 2015 at 4:19 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Huh, that's funny, I never get to see any spambots....

I've only see two in the entire time I've been on the forums.

It'll depend on when you're awake, since there's a few hours early in the morning (for north america) where most of the mods aren't online, which is when most people notice spambots.

Nov 17, 2015 at 5:56 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
It'll depend on when you're awake, since there's a few hours early in the morning (for north america) where most of the mods aren't online, which is when most people notice spambots.
To be more precise, I think it's somewhere between 7:00-12:00 UTC, as I always see them in the morning and my time zone is UTC+1:00, so yeah...

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:41 PM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
Couldn't we just go to a better captcha system?

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:46 PM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
There's no such thing
What do you mean? So are these accounts registered by real people but the spam posts are done by computer programs? Thats the only way i can see captcha being bypassed