Forum Elitism

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:10 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This thread is about something that has been a problem for as long as I can remember, we all know is a problem, and is really quite a significant problem. It's about the nigh-invincibility to all forms of forum harm that's given to established members of the forums. You know what I'm talking about. I've done plenty of things in that past year that would've had me banned had I done them when I first joined. I've done plenty of things in the past year that did incur me warning points in the past, but didn't now. This is because I got to be established in the community, and that seems to make you immune except in the most extreme cases when you really go off the deep end (ex. Carrotlord.) This is a not a good thing. A few other people have brought up their dislike of this in the past (Hayden and Polaris come to mind IIRC) but as far as I know we haven't really made a thread about it and even if we have it's about time for a new one. I'm really not the best person to make this thread but it needed to be done eventually and my conversation with Meta in the waifu thread just kinda tipped my hand.
In conclusion, I'm tired and suck at ending posts like this.

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:32 AM
Based Member
As you implied that you suspected, I completely agree. This doesn't directly harm me anymore, but the experiences I had during my first five months here made me be sure to never forget what it's like to be a new user here, and try to stand up for a new user that I feel is being treated unfairly when possible.

Personally, I think this a bold move on your part to address this out in the open. I never started a thread like this myself because I felt this was a battle that it would be pointless to even try to fight, since I'm pretty sure that I'm in the minority of users who really despise the elitism on these forums. But I guess since you went to the trouble to make this thread, I'll go ahead and throw my hat into the circle of supporters of your cause.

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:58 AM
LSD
"..."
I personally to my knowledge haven't really been affected by it, but I can see your point. In my opinion, it happens in any social situation, where the members of a group who've been there for longer tend to be able to bend the rules a bit more than others. That's just a part of the priviledges you get. I guess it's kind of abusing them to go out of your way to treat some of the newer and less-established members rudely, and that in no way should be overlooked. Like I said, I was never really affected by it and from what I see it doesn't seem to be too prevalent, but as I don't really interact with the community as deeply as others might, I doubt I'm seeing what you all are. I agree when you say that it's a problem, but only when things cross the line, such as the rudeness toward innocent users, or just a blatent disregard of the rules. In my opinion, if you've established yourself enough in any community, you should be able to have at least an ounce of leeway.

Jul 19, 2014 at 6:03 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I'm way too tired from work to give a good response to this (or the MMO recommendations thread, if you care - sorry about that, I wanted to give a few replies today). Instead, I'll leave you with a small quote and maybe reply tomorrow.

Plrs is gurl 1000% cnon said:
That problem namely being certain members that are allowed to get away with acting a certain way that is clearly against the rules and should be bannable just because they've been here for a long time. Even I myself am allowed to completely run amuck all over this forum and at the end of the day I don't even get a slap on the wrist.
This is also very true. It's sad, but the warped clique system this forum has is hard to deny or ignore. I'd rather not go dredge up examples, but the warnings and bans thread makes it pretty clear.

Jul 19, 2014 at 6:09 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Dunc2403 said:
I've done plenty of things in that past year that would've had me banned had I done them when I first joined. I've done plenty of things in the past year that did incur me warning points in the past, but didn't now.
Could you please be more specific/provide us some concrete examples? Since it's easy to be vague like this but otherwise I feel this claim specifically holds no ground.

Jul 19, 2014 at 6:17 AM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
One example I had in mind was way back from Take 8. I got an infraction for having a repetitive mostly pointless and fairly off-topic argument with sold about the meaning of a word. This in contrast to my arguments with Blink about religion, which were also repetitive mostly pointless and fairly off-topic, in which I didn't get a single warning point. I don't know if Blink got any warning points in that situation, but the two situations were similar. I'm sure given a little bit of time I could think of some other examples; I just have a hard time remembering what all I got infractions for back then, since I got so many.
Also: generic assholiness. I usually get off scot-free being an ass to new members, but doing the same a year or two ago got me infractions.

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:03 AM
Specific examples are not necessary, since anyone can tell that established users are not held to the same scrutiny as new ones. I could break five rules in one post and probably not get a warning.

The thing is, new members have to prove that they are capable of not being shitlords. Once we know you're not a shitlord, we're more forgiving. If you've made 500 posts and if you're a shitlord for one post, nbd. If you've made 5 posts and you were a shitlord in one post, that's a 100 times bigger deal. According to math.

Besides, Dunc, you know how hard it is to be nice to new people who want to talk about stuff we're bored of talking about.

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:27 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
My main difficulty in making decisions has always been knowing where to start, if it's not obvious where the fault lies. In a lot of cases there are multiple people kind of doing something wrong, or that might not really warrant intervention, and it can be difficult to know whether or not taking action will have a positive effect. I hate feeling like I'm adding to the pettiness of a situation, a feeling which I've associated with more situations over time, although my relative lack of activity this year hasn't helped. The severity of behavioural problems ebbs and flows too and there's nothing obviously terrible at the moment I don't think.

This is not to say that there isn't a core group of veterans here, or that users don't get singled out for exhibiting fairly nondescript behaviour. I've never understood the appeal of it myself; shouldn't the people who are tired of the discussion topics be tired of trotting out the same old comments by now? Let alone while bemoaning how bad it is here "these days" and creating ever more exclusive sub-communities. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Behaviour is one thing but there's only so much that can be done about ingrained mentalities, or what is to a degree human nature. I can only offer what I think is right and try to foster it where I see the chance. Of course, when it comes to the staff taking more action, you all need to remember the catch is that it doesn't necessarily mean we're always going to do what you want. More open discussion is definitely a good thing though :mahin:

Jul 19, 2014 at 2:31 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
@Dunc I never got any warning points over that ask anything or any religious discussion that happened.

The only time I ever got some is for that "you sir are also correct" and the count to a million thread.

I'm tired right now, but I think we do and don't get to much leeway, it's like we're more then just a basic forum anymore, we are very tightly knit, and understand why people act the way they do better then we would any N00bs (and even the newbs for that matter).

E: Actually, I think we just need to be nicer and more understanding of the new members.

Jul 19, 2014 at 6:32 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Dunc2403 said:
One example I had in mind was way back from Take 8. I got an infraction for having a repetitive mostly pointless and fairly off-topic argument with sold about the meaning of a word. This in contrast to my arguments with Blink about religion, which were also repetitive mostly pointless and fairly off-topic, in which I didn't get a single warning point. I don't know if Blink got any warning points in that situation, but the two situations were similar. I'm sure given a little bit of time I could think of some other examples; I just have a hard time remembering what all I got infractions for back then, since I got so many.
You'll have to consider post quality as well when you're going offtopic. Offtopic-ness here is allowed to some extent as long as it flows with the current thread. But in the Take8 offtopic discussion you mentioned, you and Doors' posts were just 1 line responses to each other "that's not free" "yes it is" "that's what I meant", like some sort of chat room. Whereas your discussion on religion (which I can't find since you didn't give me a thread to search for) would probably have had more meat to it, and would have been somewhat interesting for everyone to read. Basically we allow offtopic if it's not boring/out of nowhere/doesn't go on for too long, I think.

Also, looking at your warning history I'm not sure what you got infractions for either, since DT and Noxid did a terrible track of keeping log of why you got them in the warning's message.

I feel like you might have the most biased view on Forum Elitism though, since you were a *really* bad member when you started and thus took a lot of heat, and then somehow you changed. You have to know that we don't treat all newbies like you (ex. Dinny is the most recent I can think of), just the ones who are constantly breaking the rules when they arrive.

Jul 19, 2014 at 7:18 PM
Professional Whatever
Okay regardless it is stone cold obvious that there are members on this forum who have directly targeted groups (tumblr etc) and individuals (see: meta). This forum is unnecessarily hostile and in my opinion I think there needs to be a rule against it or something similar.
I have a problem with getting upset with people, especially new people, and I know I have to fix it. But it gets a little ridiculous when you're afraid to post material relating to something you like or ask a question that may or may not have been repeated for fear of being ridiculed by it.

Jul 19, 2014 at 7:23 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Doors said:
Okay regardless it is stone cold obvious that there are members on this forum who have directly targeted groups (tumblr etc) and individuals (see: meta). This forum is unnecessarily hostile and in my opinion I think there needs to be a rule against it or something similar.
If it makes you feel any better I gave both meta and dunc warnings in that thread for that little flame war they had.

Jul 19, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Based Member
I'm having trouble ascertaining what your view is on this, GIR. Are you shooting down the particular examples provided and trying to use that as evidence for the whole problem of elitism being non-existent/nowhere near as bad as Dunc touted it in the OP? Or are you just shooting down those examples in particular? I know you're an advocate of citations, but really, this problem is so prevalent here that it is hardly necessary at all to provide particular instances of elitism here being a problem. If you claim that what Doors said above is not true (you were a bit ambiguous about it, so I'm not sure to what extent you were dismissing him), then I know you're just playing dumb.

Jul 19, 2014 at 8:46 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
HaydenStudios said:
I know you're an advocate of citations, but really, this problem is so prevalent here that it is hardly necessary at all to provide particular instances of elitism here being a problem.
I believe elitism on this forum is a known issue, but it's not as large of a problem as you guys are making it out to believe. Rather, I believe you're all blowing it out of proportion, as some of you tend to do with forum matters such as these.

And Doors, if you feel that someone is being mean then report them. As is said time and time again, we mods don't always have the time to read everything and even then it's hard to know what's offensive and what's not unless someone makes a fuss about it.

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:56 PM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Doors said:
I have a problem with getting upset with people, especially new people, and I know I have to fix it. But it gets a little ridiculous when you're afraid to post material relating to something you like or ask a question that may or may not have been repeated for fear of being ridiculed by it.
1) there are better ways to talk about things one likes than making one-and-a-half-sentence-long threads about them
2) cold, passive hostility (and also elitism) is an abstract enough concept that no rule is going to be able to prevent it in the slightest
3) also i remember there being a rule about a similar concept called backseat moderating and yet it doesn't seem to stop you from frequently doing it

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:09 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Doors said:
Okay regardless it is stone cold obvious that there are members on this forum who have directly targeted groups (tumblr etc) and individuals (see: meta).
I've noticed that ever since your time on tumblr, you've become a lot more sensitive and prone to freak-outs and rage quits. This is why we make fun of them.

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Professional Whatever
Okay look. I'm a sensitive person, my emotions are kind of wild. It's not like i don't try to handle them and sometimes I just get upset. Okay. Cool fun times it doesn't last very long. How is it okay for people to make fun of me for that? It's not like I can just flip a switch and not be emotional (though I can try to be less so).
A rule does seem kind of silly in retrospect but hostility is really just not good that's all I'm trying to get across. But yeah I guess I'll just use the report function next time not sure why i didn't do that before.

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:09 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
It's not good to make fun of YOU in particular. That's just rude, and we're surprisingly more civilized than that. Some of us here, including the rest of the internet, just like to shit on tumblr a lot. I know you're a sensitive person but I just feel it's more prominent ever since you delved into that community, idk. I'm probably just biased.

But whatevr. We all have our moments. Just report. And if something goes to shit, try not to make a big deal of it (removing picture/signature/etc). We've had so many notorious ragequitters here and it'd be sad for you to be on the same list as them. It kind of saddens me that people take the forum /that/ seriously.

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:21 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
I'd agree with Gir that it's a thing and probably not a very big deal. This community is so small that it's hard not to pick and choose which people we like.

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:41 PM
Based Member
I realize that in the time I've taken to write this post, more replies have popped up. This is mostly directed at GIR, but I guess anyone else who belittles the problem of elitism here and/or participates in it should read this too. Let me outline some cases that show that elitism here really is as big of a problem as we claim.

The first rule that comes to mind when it comes to being enforced hard on new users but not so much on established users is the rule against spamming.

I think the best example of a user who borders on invincibility from criticism would be Noxid. Please note that I have a great respect for Noxid. He's very smart, has the ability to be very mature, has the ability to make very constructive posts, has contributed immensely to the modding community, has some very good artistic talent, and amuses me to no end with his ability to quickly think of a witty metaphor to prove his point. Nonetheless, he regularly makes posts that are of very little value. He himself even admitted the other day that he blanket posts a lot. I'm pretty sure that at least 9/10 of the posts he made over the last 2 years in the modding showcase forum didn't contribute anything valuable to the discussion. And yet nobody seems to have called him out on it because he manages to stay afloat by sometimes making them witty or calling out a new user for saying something stupid in so doing. Furthermore, when he used his exclusive power to start a new thread in the S.P.O.T. (something that was disabled among regular users for a reason), the thread became one of the most popular threads during its period. Not only was the thread itself pretty much spam, but it also encouraged other users to spam. The closest anyone even came to criticizing him for that move was Fab who jokingly suggested he should ban himself for spamming. And yet, six months earlier, a new user at the time with a poor reputation made a thread of a similar nature that was of hardly any less value than Noxid's, and was basically treated like spam. Noxid himself even said that if there was going to be another thread like that, then there would be consequences.

The other most immediate rule that comes to mind that new users immediately get called out on breaking but established users almost always get by with is the rule against personal attacks.

I am aware that I might regret saying this out in the open. During my early days as a member here, I had a less-than-favorable reputation among several established users here. This was largely due to my overly verbose writing style and serious tone that many interpreted as trying to act above everyone else. I still do tend to write long posts (just look at this one here), and I still do possess a very narrow range of emotion when posting, although this was to a greater extreme during my first few months here, for those of you folks who weren't around then. And while the community's negative assumption about my mindset was partially true, it was nowhere near to the extent they believed. This was mostly brought on by the forums I had been previously present on where either no one noticed, or no one cared, and I was lead to believe that this was a "socially acceptable" way of typing.

And the user who seemed to be most aggravated by this was ShinyElectricBlueTiger. And because of this verbose typing style, apparently the community saw no wrong with him continuously making completely unprovoked degrading posts filled with straw-man arguments that tried to paint me as a hypocrite[1][2][3]. He continually flame-baited me over the course of four-and-a-half months before finally someone called him out. It took four-and-a-half months for just one established user to put two-and-two together and realize that another established user was gratuitously attacking a newer user, something that anyone with a fresh perspective would have noticed at the first encounter.

And yet, by the time that I was an established user, and a new user made a false accusation about my development habits, numerous users jumped to my defense and chewed him out for attacking me. Take a look at that post by that (at the time) new user that I just linked to. Now take a look at this post that SEBTi made. Both of them are personal attacks. Neither of them have any basis whatsoever. Neither of them were provoked. And I would argue that SEBTi's attack in question was far more hostile than A Gamer's. And yet, A Gamer was called out, and SEBTi wasn't, because A Gamer was a new user at the time and was attacking an established user, and SEBTi was a fairly established user at the time attacking a newer user.

There is definite discrimination between users based on how new they are, and you'd be ignorant to belittle it. You might be thinking that I'm taking some things here more seriously than I should... Trust me, I'm not. I may have written this large wall of text ranting about stuff that takes place over the internet, but at the end of the day, my face sitting in front of the computer screen remains expressionless. I really don't get emotionally worked up over something that happens in front of a computer screen, unless it's a seemingly legitimate E-mail informing me that a loved one has passed away or something like that.

I am also aware that this is not likely to accomplish much or bring about any change because the party that has a big problem with elitism here doesn't have enough power to do so. I just thought I'd give a detailed outline of why I agree with Dunc and Doors because you seemed to be mostly dismissing their less major incidents as nit-pickery.

Last edited by a moderator: