Errors With Modding Programs

Jul 27, 2010 at 1:52 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Hey,

BackyardcabinXY again,

I recently posted about cave story mods, and a member provided a tutorial line on how to begin modding. I have looked at it, but seem to be running into quite a few problems, and I'm not even coding/scripting yet.

It seems that the biggest problem I have is saving the changes I make to the maps in the original cave story. If I choose Map > Save in the program Cave Editor I get an error that states it can't save map data:

Error: Error saving map data

This occurs even if I remove the Pixel requirement for images or uncheck the "read only" box in the preferences for the program.

Another big problem is editing scripts in Cave Editor. If I choose:
Edit > Script the program quits on me. I get an error that reads:

"The Cave Story Editor has stopped working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Edit > Script: the program gives me the error message "Out Of Memory" sometimes

I am using Windows 7 professional with 2GB of ram. Isn't that enough, or is my computer that my friend made me not up to snuff to make these mods?

Additionally, if I try Sue's Workshop instead of Cave Editor
File > Load game > Doukutsu works but
Maps > double click any map > Error: Can't Load Tileset

None of the tiles for the maps show up
Removing the pixel requirement removes the maps entirely from the sidebar list

The two things that do kind of work is the pure script editor CS Script (static linked) the non-static linked one does not work

I can edit the scripts fine with this program, and the changes do save properly, but it is a bit difficult to understand what is going on, I'd prefer the cave editor script editor...

Making a new map in Cave Story Map Editor allows you to save, but I would like to edit a previous map if I can (if I can't, I'll make do) since that would be easier that making one from scratch...

Bottom line, if you can help me that would be great, but if you can't NBD (no big deal). I am working on a mod of cave story in flash (AS2 not the new AS3) and despite the older (non flixel, the engine that made the cave story esque game titled Condition) code it works pretty well. I even have boss and player health bars working. Despite this, I do think the code for cave story is very interesting titled TSC (I think it was called) so if you can determine how I can fix these errors popping up that would be great.

Thanks again for your help and input in giving me that mod list earlier. It's nice to see which ones are actually complete. I enjoyed playing some of them greatly...

Thanks again for all your help,
BackyardcabinXY

Jul 27, 2010 at 1:57 AM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Your problem might be that you're using both editors, since they don't work together, but that wouldn't explain why it didn't work before you started using SW. The only other thing I can think of is that I seem to recall hearing that on Vista/7, it won't work if you put your mod anywhere in the "Program Files" folder.

Jul 27, 2010 at 4:00 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
You seem to be using CaveEditor 0.98e, which doesn't really work at all (unable to save scripts).

If you are going to use CaveEditor, please use the older version CaveEditor 0.98d.

You also tried using SW version 0.3c, which only works with bitmaps. Instead, please use SW 0.3a to work with .pbm's.

Also, you must choose one of the editors, either Cave Editor or Sue's Workshop. They are not compatible with each other.

Cave Editor dislikes read-only files. To get rid of this problem, right click on your Cave Story mod folder, go to properties, then uncheck the "Read-Only" box under Attributes. Setting CE to remove read-only from files will not always work, so just do it manually.

Thank you for your patience. Next time, you should probably post in this thread instead of the Hack/Mod Ideas subforum.

Jul 27, 2010 at 4:16 AM
"Huzzah!"
I actually have an issue with cave editor...

When i edit my tileset, it now displays incorrectly. For example, normally you see the tiles as the appear on the left, and thier attributes on the right, divided by a line. Unfortunately it shows the appearence on both sides. And when i right click where the attributes should be, a black box appears.

Jul 27, 2010 at 6:07 PM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Isn't there a problem with windows 7 regarding saving. Something about it being in program files?

Jul 27, 2010 at 9:19 PM
Pirate Member
Miles check if the file CE_Tiles.png is normal in your CE folder.

Jul 28, 2010 at 2:20 AM
"Huzzah!"
Yeah it looks fun there...

Wait what? Ijust attempted to edit the tileset again and its completely fine. Thats weird as hell. Like nothing happened o.o

Jul 28, 2010 at 2:25 AM
Pirate Member
Miles_Valentine said:
Yeah it looks fun there...

Wait what? Ijust attempted to edit the tileset again and its completely fine. Thats weird as hell. Like nothing happened o.o

You see? I fixed it.