Error In Cave Story

Jul 8, 2005 at 3:45 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I am receiving an error in Cave Story, the usual windows XP sort (this program has run into a problem and must close, etc). I've been playing Cave Story on this computer for a few large sessions (total time probably ranking in around 4-5 hours). I'm near the end of the Labyrinth area; right when you move the rock and enter the monster nest with curly.

There is a certain part of this monster nest, that upon reaching it, the game crashes (I get the error). I've tried a bunch of things, and no matter what, I kept getting the crash at the same exact spot. I can't seem to advance further than that particular spot. Its the same precise spot every time; not an inch off. I don't really know what to do, and this is making it impossible for me to continue progress.

As for what I've tried: I tried redownloading the entire game, and only replacting the profile.dat file to keep my save. I tried going to the same spot under different conditions; for example, sometimes I go there with low health, sometimes high, sometimes I'm holding a different weapon, etc. I get the same results each time, in the same spot.

Also, if it makes any difference, I still have the Polar Star gun, and the Fireball gun. In addition, I don't have the v0.08 Booster.

I really hope someone here can help me with this perdicament; this is one fine game and it would be a shame if I can't see the end of it.

Jul 9, 2005 at 2:17 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
have you downloaded 1.0.0.6?

Jul 9, 2005 at 3:42 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yes, this is version 1.0.0.6, and I used the 1.01 translation patch on it, which it states in the readme file is supposed to work (and it does, until this part).

However, I've fixed my problem (beat the game, too!): I'm not entirely sure if this was the fault of my system, though this is unlikely as I sent the file and save to someone else, and they got the same error. Thus, I downloaded 1.0.0.5, used the same translation patch, and no longer I got the error at that part. I still don't precisely know what caused that error, but at least I got through the game now.

Aug 4, 2005 at 10:02 AM
Grandmaster Jogurt
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
This is a rather newbish thing to ask, but I cannot find version 1.0.0.5, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I am experiencing the same problem as Krono was, and wish to be able to continue my game.