Doctor Who Story (DISCONTINUED)

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:16 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
DOCTOR WHO STORY!

What would Cave Story have been like from the perspective of Doctor Who? You're about to find out!

Hello everyone! My first major mod! I don't really know what to put here, so I'll put some general information.
  1. I have created/am creating many physical pathways between areas, since teleporters are replaced with the TARDIS and other characters can't use the TARDIS.
    • ​​The physical pathways ARE accessible, and though they are not mandatory to the plot, they have side quests that can earn you extra stuff. I strongly suggest you take these pathways.
  2. This mod is based off the Tenth Doctor, after the Bad Wolf incident with Rose and after Mickey leaves.
  3. I understand that the TARDIS appears in places regardless of whether or not you used the TARDIS to get to that place. I can only do so much, okay?
  4. I'm planning three endings for this mod. One will be somewhat of a joke. The other two will be serious. Like the previous game, there will be a "normal" ending and another ending if you complete certain EXTRA STUFF *cough cough*. The conditions for the special ending will not be the same as the original game.

Download 1.0 link: DEMO 1 (Start -> Egg 00)
Download 1.5 link: DEMO 1.5 (SPRITES!)
Download 2.0 link: DEMO 2.0 (Grasstown, Music, and More!)

If you want to help with art, music, or sprites (because I can do very little of that work), below is a list of stuff I need (as of DEMO 2.0).

1. Sounds for the Sonic Screwdriver being activated and for the TARDIS teleporting.
  2. The Doctor Who Theme converted into an ORG track. I may have someone doing this.
  3. The Westminister Bridge Theme converted into an ORG track (for the Egg Corridor).
  4. Seeking the Doctor converted in to an ORG track. This may or may not replace Pulse, depending on how it fits.
  5. The Doctor's Theme converted into an ORG track. This may or may not replace Pulse.
  6. UNIT Rocks converted into an ORG track. This may replace Meltdown 2 or some other area theme.
  7. Sprites to replace flying and arrow-launching Butes from the Sacred Grounds with Dalek sprites.
  8. A face pic for the Daleks and Jack Harkness.

DEMO 2.0 is here! New music, areas, maps, and more! Now includes a modded Organya!

NOTE: Profile.dat CAN NOT BE TRANSFERRED FROM THE PREVIOUS DEMO.

Thanks to:
  • 2DBro- Faces for the Doctor.
  • GIRakaCHEEZER- "Death Egg" music.
I now need faces for Jack Harkness and everyone's favorite villains- DALEKS!

Also, I need someone to replace the flying and arrow launching Butes from the Sacred Grounds with Dalek sprites.

I've attempted and failed miserably.

Preferably they need to flash before "exploding" (disappearing in a poof of smoke). Similar to how the butes fall over and turn green.

Thank you, and please give me feedback!

This project is cancelled until further notice due to the following:
  1. An error causing all of the map tiles to register as "00" resulted in the loss of a good week's worth of work. I was almost ready to put out a new demo and I am not particularly excited to redo it all.
  2. Lack of interest.
I am really disappointed in myself for letting this mod receive the same fate as many others, and it wouldn't have if not for that error. I will be working on a new mod, Heaven and Hell, as well as Aftermath, in which Quote explores the remains of the island after the normal ending.

I'm sorry to the five or so people who might've been looking forward to this mod's completion.

If anyone has a tip on how to solve this problem (which I've encountered TWICE now), that would be great.

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:42 AM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Nameless said:
oh my god why the fuck is every mod called "___ story" I swear to fuck
(i might play this later but the topic doesn't interest me so idk :\ )

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:08 AM
Off-screen redemption arc
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I will definitely play this later. I do have to say, though...
SuperJaws100 said:
I understand that the TARDIS appears in places regardless of whether or not you used the TARDIS to get to that place. I can only do so much, okay?
You actually really can using flags and stuff. It's not that difficult.

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:37 AM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
Considering that there's already a fan made dr who crossover in every fandom ever, I don't see why you shouldn't make it.

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:20 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I played it, but I want version with edited sprites, music, etc.

I hope you'll not abandon this mod xD

PS - I didn't watch any episode of Doctor Who, so if you edit some sprites, I will be very satisfied :D

Jan 8, 2015 at 8:50 PM
The sprites I need help with are in the bottom spoiler. TBH it doesn't matter if you've never seen Doctor Who. It's not hard to follow. I could just as easily make this a mod not related to Doctor Who and it wouldn't need any changes.
ThatPortalGuy said:
I will definitely play this later. I do have to say, though...
You actually really can using flags and stuff. It's not that difficult.
Do you KNOW how many variables that will be by the end of the game? I think I'll finish the game before I mess around with that.

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:31 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
i think you're severely overestimating the complexity of flag use

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:35 PM
Doors said:
i think you're severely overestimating the complexity of flag use
Imagine if everywhere a teleporter is used, you need to have a flag. Plus the great many flags needed to alter the side quests and the plot as a result of them, plus all of the physical pathways, etc. It will take a lot of flags. I need to finish the general game before I finish the game.

Of course, since it seems only one person has played the game so far or even taken interest in it, I might expend my efforts elsewhere. I have other mod ideas.

Huh. Eight downloads. I guess there are people downloading it who are not forum members. Ironically, my much less interesting mod Cave Story Redemption has 19 downloads...

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:47 PM
Professional Whatever
how many areas do you have that using one flag per area is such a great deal

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:58 PM
Doctor Who Story: DEMO 1.5 RELEASED!

SPRITES UPDATED!

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:58 AM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I feel embarrassed to say I'm one of the downloaders :/
Aside from being sarcastic, this mod played out pretty well. Even though it's just a heavy modification of Cave Story, it's got a nice feel to it.
Even though I kinda don't like the Doctor Who series, this actually was more interesting than the show (idk how)

I only did a quick runthrough so I didn't really see any bugs.
the part before the egg corridor (go through the door) was genius though, good job :mahin:

Oh hey look what I did
I like facepics
Do you like facepics?
Here, have facepics

Normal
p192414-0-5qb0dcp.png

Angry

p192414-1-yrpku8f.png

Happy

p192414-2-oat8fai.png

didnt feel like resizing them huehuehue but they're CS size so 46x46

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:36 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Newer version is better than previous :D, but the Sonic Screwdriver image is partly transparent. Did you use a black color in this graphic?

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:25 PM
2DBro said:
I feel embarrassed to say I'm one of the downloaders :/
Aside from being sarcastic, this mod played out pretty well. Even though it's just a heavy modification of Cave Story, it's got a nice feel to it.
Even though I kinda don't like the Doctor Who series, this actually was more interesting than the show (idk how)

I only did a quick runthrough so I didn't really see any bugs.
the part before the egg corridor (go through the door) was genius though, good job :mahin:

Oh hey look what I did
I like facepics
Do you like facepics?
Here, have facepics

Normal
p192414-0-5qb0dcp.png

Angry

p192414-1-yrpku8f.png

Happy

p192414-2-oat8fai.png

didnt feel like resizing them huehuehue but they're CS size so 46x46
Ah! Thank you so much!

TheChosenOne521 said:
Newer version is better than previous :D, but the Sonic Screwdriver image is partly transparent. Did you use a black color in this graphic?
Uh... I used one that was extremely close to black but not quite. Maybe it still counted...

Thanks for the feedback!

Jan 10, 2015 at 7:49 PM
War criminal
SuperJaws100 said:
Ah! Thank you so much!

Uh... I used one that was extremely close to black but not quite. Maybe it still counted...

Thanks for the feedback!
as long as the black isn't R 0 G 0 B 0, you're safe.

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:06 AM
TLincoln said:
as long as the black isn't R 0 G 0 B 0, you're safe.
I'll be fixing it in the next update, which will include a new title screen, faces for the Doctor (thanks gain 2DBro!), and Grasstown through to the Sand Zone.

Jan 11, 2015 at 3:01 AM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Glad to be of service.

I have nothing better to do anyways, I have millions of uncontinued mods in my mod folder and gotten pretty good at dealing with spriting kinda, so yeah.

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:40 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
zxin said:
Brainstorm! What if when you die instead of saying 'Do you want to retry?' it says 'Do you want to regenerate?' :)
and then have a cycling Mychar.bmp