Do you approve of the use of 1337-speak?

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:51 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
(Yes this does belong in the games section. Don't correct me either.)
The use of 1337 speak has sort of died out, but one web comic refuses to let it die.
The use of it is very common.

http://megatokyo.com/strip/1337

So the reason why I brought this up is a signature I saw a while back.
So whats with the hate? I name most of my characters in 1337-speak.
My icons names are even 1337-speak. Heck I saw a T.V. commercial that uses 1337-speak for the plate numbers/letters.

So still whats with the HATE?!

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:02 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Have you considered leaving 2004 behind
it's not so bad out here

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Well, I don't know about the rest of the world but on this forum we expect you to use English. I mean if you use it jokingly and sparingly that's fine, but if you format entire sentences with chtspk or 13375|D34|< we will reach through that monitor and slap you silly. The point being that chatspeak and 1337-speak take twice as long to read, aren't translatable for foreign visitors and are a horrid bastardisation of the English language.

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:31 PM
"Huzzah!"
I approve of it when used rarely and as a joke and for text that is basically irrelevant.

If you think about it, the reason various languages exist are for an efficient means of communication, so it doesn't really make sense to make it harder for someone to understand what is being said, unless what you are trying to communicate is "I am making fun of 1337" or something.

I'm also okay with it being used in gamer names to add some stylization, but that's pretty much it.

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM
No, this totally doesn't belong in general gaming, I'd say entertainment media at best
1337-speak belongs here because of it's constant use in LAN games. Quake, and other 2000 fps games.

Well, I don't know about the rest of the world but on this forum we expect you to use English. I mean if you use it jokingly and sparingly that's fine, but if you format entire sentences with chtspk or 13375|D34|< we will reach through that monitor and slap you silly. The point being that chatspeak and 1337-speak take twice as long to read, aren't translatable for foreign visitors and are a horrid bastardisation of the English language.
|Dr0|313/\/\?

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I honestly don't really care for it. It looks dumb, makes you look dumb, and severely hampers communication. I don't even really like seeing it as a joke, but that's just me. I'm sure other people don't mind it that way.

Mevon said:
1337-speak belongs here because of it's constant use in LAN games. Quake, and other 2000 fps games.
Yeah, but it's being used outside of the context of those games, so...

Mevon said:
|Dr0|313/\/\?
Yes, there is a problem. It took me 3 minutes to decipher that one word, and what's the point of that?

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dec 22, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Professional Whatever
- fab is always right all the time -

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Been here way too long...
You insisted that this is a thread about gaming, and then listed several non-gaming examples of leetspeak in your OP. Good job forming a strong opening statement.

Also, using numbers and abbreviations to fit words or phrases onto a license plate is a practice that started long before modems were commercially available. That was a bad example.

Also also, the use of it is not very common. There's a difference between bein a lzy typer bcoz ur txtin and actual 13375P34|<. Leetspeak, as I'm given to understand, is not shorthand, but some retarded dialect from 12yearoldstan. It's used to make the speaker appear more leet, because they're so leet that they can waste time typing in odd symbols instead of letters. Don't quote me on this, I'm unfamiliar with the logical process behind it. So "i <3 u" is not leetspeak. It's shorthand.

Also also also, why are you using Megatokyo as an example of something that's still relevant?

Also also also also:

(Yes this does belong in the games section. Don't correct me either.)
"I'm obviously right, people who invented the games section." I agree with your placement of the thread, but not with your attitude.

The use of 1337 speak has sort of died out ... The use of it is very common.
???

one web comic refuses to let it die ... I name most of my characters in 1337-speak. My icons names are even 1337-speak.
It sounds like Megatokyo isn't the only thing struggling to keep this piece of history alive. However, we've already established that you don't know what leetspeak is, so maybe the whole thing died in 2012 and you don't know it.

In conclusion, I can't tell whether you're frustrated that leetspeak won't die, or that people hate it.

In conclusion to my conclusion, thank you for making me say "leetspeak" more times in this post than I have in the last five years.

P.S.:

No, it really doesn't
1337-speak is a form of textese which does not originate from video games, rather text messages between white girls who wanted to be different
(@ m3von)
No that is really not even true at all even a little bit. White girls using SMS didn't occur until this century, which is later than the origins of leetspeak. You made me say it again, you dillhole.

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
MagicDoors said:
No, it really doesn't
1337-speak is a form of textese which does not originate from video games, rather text messages between white girls who wanted to be different
(@ m3von)
I think you're confusing 1337-speak with chatspeak.

The going theory is that 1337-speak was created to get around word filters in BBS systems:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

@m3von: So since we have no word filters 1337-speak is kinda pointless, no?

Dec 22, 2013 at 1:22 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
The point being no stop it. It makes you look immature.

Dec 22, 2013 at 4:26 AM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
it's funny cause i haven't seen anyone use leetshit in a LONG time until now

why did you have to break that

you dicksnobble

Dec 22, 2013 at 8:02 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I will personally ban you from the forums if you excessively use leet-speak.

Dec 22, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Seconded.

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:27 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Since when did people commonly use leetspeak, outside of words like 'n00b'? Because i've never seen stuff like that unironically, even when it was at the height of it's populairity. It's one of those things people pretend it's everywhere but it really isn't

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:44 AM
Am I getting challenged? -gasps- Oh my! Time to make complete ass of my self then! Oh no! I did it all ready, you say. Well gee adimns thanks for turning a innocent question into me getting banned. I hope every one else likes being threatened by immature assholes. I just LOVE all of you pathetic people.
Good fuckin' riddance.
/\/\3\/0/\/

P.S You all disgust me, especially you admins.

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:48 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
We said you'd get banned if you excessively used leet-speak, but now you're just blowing up for no reason, so...

Mevon said:
Good fuckin' riddance.
Yes. Indeed.