Discovered CS on the Wii and not the PC?

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:50 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I've been wondering about how many people on these forums has not played the PC version of Cave Story but discovered the game on the Wii. There's no good indicator for that, but I've seen a bunch of new faces [after my over 3 month vacation from these forums] and figured a topic like this could be useful:

*Did you discover Cave Story on the Wii and not on the PC? How come you didn'y play the PC original first?
*How come you joined these forums and not Nicalis' ones?
*What do you think about the people that states that the PC original is better?
*Have you found any of the bugs or glitches people get so fired up about, and if so, have they annoyed you?

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:26 PM
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I actually DID play Cave Story on the PC back in 2006 and through 2007, but then I heard about the WiiWare version and kept myself from playing it for a couple years (though at the time I really didn't think it'd take that long) so it'd be that much better when it came out--like, making myself 'wait' for a game I already know I love. I was expecting it to be better than it ended up being, of course, but I'm not nearly as disappointed in it as a lot of people seem to be.

Also, I joined this site's forum instead of any other because, well, it's kinda funny... I've been going to the CS Tribute Site for YEARS, it's the site on which I very first found Cave Story and its translation and all that even, back when the site was like all green and not animated lol... and EVERY person I've told about Cave Story I've linked to that site... and I go to it for all my Cave Story information needs pretty much... and I swear to God, not until a couple weeks ago, after four years, did I ever *notice* that forum link. How that's even possible, especially for a guy that loves to stop by forums, I have no idea.. but I keep wishing I'd joined long ago when the game was still hopping popular all over the internet, because I feel like I have as much to talk about as if I'd just played the game for the very first time :<

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:53 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I was born and raised on cavestory for the PC (well mac, technically).
My friend told me about it and showed me the doctor fights (which he was stuck on). I heard they had a mac version and downloaded it immediatley, played it for a day and got the bad ending. Couple new days and i beat hell, all along my friend was stuck on the doctor haha
I saw the link to the forums, and I decided I was ready after beating sacred grounds (even though not a whole lot of people have ever beaten it, but that's another thread).

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:40 PM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."
I first saw it loong time ago somewhere on YouTube but I just assumed it was another LP of an emulated game that I'll never play (The guy whose channel I was looking at did mostly LPs.) I checked JS, forum I used to check daily, and someone posted about it. A friend of mine from there (Anyone remember The RED Spy?) made a MimigaMod thing. I thought it was AWESOME.

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:47 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Of course, the vast majority of these forums are people who got introduced to the PC version.

Since the Wiiware version is so new, a couple of years may pass before we see significant amounts of people who discovered Cavestory solely through the Wii.

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:49 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
I saw it on Wikipedia the August before last. So I'd say the Wii port didn't help me find it.

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:47 PM
Yal said:
How come you didn'y play the PC original first?
I see what you did thar.

Yup. PC for me.

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:44 AM
I think I can answer your first question on behalf of all the forum members: No.
It will be a few months before we get a Wii-introduced forum member who actually posts something.

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:42 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Captain Fabulous said:
It will be a few months before we get a Wii-introduced forum member who actually posts something.

Sorry to break the combo, but that'd be me...

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:45 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
TuKéZu said:
Sorry to break the combo, but that'd be me...

Aha. Welcome to the forums. So, what is your opinion on Cavestory Wii vs. PC version? Can you answer some of the questions in the first post?

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:50 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Thanks. Okay, here goes...
*Did you discover Cave Story on the Wii and not on the PC? How come you didn'y play the PC original first?
Yes. Why? I did hear about this game a good while ago, but for some reason I didn't download it. Since it's coming to the Wii and all... Why not wait 'til then? Or maybe I was just lazy. I dunno.
I figured there topics here would be more interesting than in an official forum... But the fact that I was mentioned here already might have been the decisive factor :p
Can't blame 'em, since they grew up with it and stuff. Though... I grew up with Pokémon Silver, and I'm loving the DS remake :3
*Have you found any of the bugs or glitches people get so fired up about, and if so, have they annoyed you?
Haven't found too many, except for the obvious glitchy music, which doesn't annoy me much because I find them pretty decent.

I have since tried the PC version, but I find mashing the attack button harder on a keyboard. Haven't tried the PS2 controller yet, though...

Also, in my opinion, the dialogue is better on the Wii version. (Well, maybe not "Oh Yeaaah!")
And I prefer the new 8-bit-ish font.

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:27 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
- I played Cave Story first on the Wii. I didn't play the PC original first due to lack of knowledge of it's existence. :(

- Hmm... Well... Didn't realize that Nicalis has a forum. I suppose it's mostly my fault for not researching more into Cave Story & delving more into the Nicalis site.

- Good for them. :confused:
There are always going to be people who prefer original content to re-released content. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm just glad that I got to enjoy (and still am enjoying) this wonderful game. They are grizzled ancients, while I'm a fresh greenhorn taking a few steps into a new world.

- Well... I have found a couple. The game freezing, as well as the goofy map system. The only one that truly gets me upset is the game freezing. Nothing says "Random Cuss Words" more than scaling a tall cliff, entering a door, and having to do it all over again because the game decided it didn't want to work any more.

All in all, the game has been a pleasing experience. I plan on recommending the Wii version to as many people as I can to support the efforts of Nicalis and more importantly Pixel... Not to mention introduce them to a well crafted game. (At it's core.)

I've sunk a total of 14 hours or more into the game at this point, and I'm starting on my 3rd play-through. (I'm going to save Curly Brace this time if it freakin kills me!!!)

I'm avoiding most other topics on the forum because I want to challenge myself to find as much as I can on my own. I want to truly "savor the flavor" of Cave Story as much as possible. :D

Apr 11, 2010 at 6:46 PM
I stand corrected. Word of Cave StoWii sure got around fast.

Dear TuKéZu:
I tried my best to judge the Wii translation objectively, and while most of it was just fine and some of it was better, I think they butchered Misery's lines. Thousand-year-old cranky witches don't say "wanna."

Love,
Captain Fabulous

Dear KyoZaber:
Yes, I am a grizzled ancient, but don't let my ancient, black forum magic scare you off.

Sincerely,
Dark Sorceror Fabulous

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:01 PM
I think I am by definition younger than anyone who uses the phrase "grizzled ancients".
It's a nice thought tho.

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:20 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I started playing cave story shortly after its english version was released. Actually, I played it in japanese till my brother told me there was an english version.

I was about 10 back then...

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:30 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Like a year or so ago, I saw an animated Quote for an avatar on another forum, but I didn't look it up or anything, it was just an avatar to me. That doesn't really count as 'discovering' Cave Story, though.

I saw Cave Stowii on TomBobBlender's Ustream the day it came out. Then...

1. I bought the Wii version first knowing the PC version existed
  2. Played the Wii version up to Sand Zone
  3. I had to go somewhere for Spring Break and leave my Wii
  4. Without my Wii I downloaded the PC version and beat it over Spring Break
  5. I came home and beat the Wii version

At this point in time, I've yet to attempt Hell, I have, however saved Curly and gotten the Spur before.

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:35 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"

Played it on the Wii, never heard before of the PC version. Only after the Wii anouncement.

Never heard of the Nicalis forums, can't even find those by using google.

Well I can understand the music aspect. Like for me the old pokémon gold music just got stuck in my head and I like the new heartgold music less. But still it's great in both versions.
Als installed Cave Story on my PC and PSP, like the music less. But I think it depends on what you heard first.

Graphically wise the Wii version wins by far in my opninion

Ok I'm not lying, but finished Cave Story on the Wii in normal mode and I didn't see or heard any glitches. But maybe you only notice if you know where they are. Duno :)

PS: Ah yes and playing with the Wii mote on Wii with component cable to a 42inch TV is just awesome xD

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:07 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

I actually found Cave Story through Deviant art, such an odd place to find it, I know. The funny thing was, I was subliminally exposed to pictures of Curly Brace in a ton of youtube music videos using her mugshot as a cover, and I'd always wondered where she came from, so when i did find out, i was like OH MY GAWD, NO WAI. So yeah...

People who deal with PC based games generally have a much better grasp on the inner workings of the games, though not ALWAYS true, it's also nice that there's a greater crowd of older folks, not just pre-teens caught in the excitement.

Hands down, i'd rather belong to a forum with less members, but more dedicated, than one with thousands of unorganized people who may or may not see some of the more interesting theories that I've found happening in this forum.

I would ultimately have to agree, for the sake of it being not only traditional, but completely stable, and as it was intended to be (as far as I can assume). I have no problem with revamping a game to make it a better gaming experience, but there's something magical about using such a limited amount of detail in pixels, but still perfectly capturing a character.

It blows my mind how people can achieve that sort of thing..

PC? no.Wii, I've found a few glitches, or rather, changes, that were probably in an effort to make maneuvering easier, when in reality, they make it harder.You aren't able to be running in one direction and tap the other direction to get off a quick pot-shot at something behind you that's traveling too fast if there's a ceiling overhead. Granted that's an oddly specific issue, but It's still enough to mix you up.

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:18 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"

I first discovered Cave Story on PC through I Wanna Be The Forums. The members on IWBTF have all played it multiple times and loved. I ended up downloading it on their recommendation, getting to Monster X, and never touching it again. Recently, I downloaded the Wii version, which I ad been anticipating for a while. For some reason, I just can't stand playing games on the computer. I refuse to use emulators because I feel like it takes something away from the original game, I refuse to play made for PC games because I find them less fun, and the only freeware game I've completed on PC is IWBTG. So the Wii version allowed me to truly get into the game, as a console gamer. I loved it and am currently obsessed with it.

*How come you joined these forums and not Nicalis' ones?*

Didn't know they existed, didn't bother to look. I found this forum through looking for a support forum to explain the purpose of "Passage?" to me. This came up first.

*What do you think about the people that states that the PC original is better?*
I'm fine with them. Most people likely will as it is what they are more familiar with. Really, the only improvement on the Wii are the graphics. I think the original music FAR surpasses any of the remixes, and all the other modes are pretty much pointless. The translation never really bothered me, but of course I never got past about 2/5 of the game on PC. If I actually enjoyed PC gaming, I would probably be among those who like the original more.

*Have you found any of the bugs or glitches people get so fired up about, and if so, have they annoyed you?*

I'm afraid I'm unsure exactly to what you are referring. The only new bug I've heard of exists in the music tracks. They don't really bug me as I almost immediately changed all the music back to the original, as i think it is better anyway.

Anyway, although I enjoy the Wii version more, it is more because of my style of gameplay. I really don't think there are any distinguishing features between the two that makes one surpass the other. The music would influence that if I didn't have the option of changing it in the Wii version. Other than the music, the different translation doesn't actually take away from the experience of the game or the overall feeling, it just slightly changes the tone. and not in a bad way. The only reason anyone has a problem with the new translation all stem from personal familiarity and that is not a true reason to think one is legitimately better than the other.

May 1, 2010 at 9:49 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'll admit it, I'm a Wii guy. I played through cave story the first time on the Wii (damn it was awsome!) with the sound and visuals on "New". I had heard of the game before but didnt play it just becuse I'm not a big PC gaming guy but I do like to play the original games first so I was conflicted. In addition I heard the Wiiware game got updated visuals and sound and new modes so I got that one. Halfway through my second run of the game I realized how much better the game sounded with the original music. So then I switched over the visuals too and was pleased with the absence of glitches that had annoyed me so much before, like the problem with the map on the Outer Wall. I played through the whole story, and beat Hell when I realised something, Im playing the exact same game for $12 that I could have downloaded for free. The only other difference was the other modes wich are mostly useless, Sactuary attack is fun but its in the free version too and its a great way to spoil the ending for someone who has'nt played it before. Boss rush mode though lacking polish is fun too but yet again you can fight EVERY boss in the game before your supposed to, thus ruining the experience of playing through the story. But the final difference is the translation official VS. fan made. So I played the PC one and well, I liked the translation a lot better, Everything just seemed better presented. So if you prefer the PC version I agree with you. Yes there are glitches, not game breaking ones but still glitches that were not present in the original version (the fact that the new music does'nt play right is especially annoying becuse it does'nt seem half bad). And why am I here? Well I just like the community here.
diph.php