Disabling [hide]

Sep 15, 2014 at 7:46 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Seriously, this thing is just a pain in the ass. It is literally identical in function to the spoiler tag, and is a bitch to deal with on phones and the like. I used to be able to copy-paste the text into a notepad program on my phone, but now it transfers highlight colour so I can't even do that anymore.

Basically, is there any way to disable the hide tag, and if so should we? It's not like the spoiler tag doesn't work well enough anyway.

Sep 15, 2014 at 8:49 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I am definitely for this. Just the fact that you have to highlight the text makes it more difficult because the text is harder to read that way. To remedy the removal of it, however, I would really like to see something similar to this be implemented. Even if a completely identical spoiler button is added, but the "Spoiler" text is changed to something else. That would at least give some more options.

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:14 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I second Tpcool's post.

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:17 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
As a steady mobile user, I'm all for removing the hide tags. They've been a consistent nuisance and I don't find they offer much that Spoilers can't. There is the fact that Spoilers are just as often used as a space saver or for comedic timing as actually concealing sensitive things, but from context (and, optionally, the thingy Tpcool mentioned), it should be pretty easy to figure out when you should poke that enticing little button.

Also, you'd have to think about how it would be disabled. I don't know how these things work, but if it left useless (hide)(/hide) tags everywhere, that would be...bad. I guess either somehow replacing all hide code with spoiler code or leaving the hide codes standing alone and just disabling further use would be the way to go.

And of course, it's entirely up to andwhyisit whether he wants to bother, especially after that major forum upgrade. There's nothing wrong with the hide tags, technically, they're just annoying. =o

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:33 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

But how will I be extra sneaky without hide???

I wouldn't mind if it could be reworked so you could just click/tap the hide field itself to show it entirely, then click again to hide it again. Though I guess that's kinda pointless since that's how {spoiler} works.

Maybe if {hide} didn't force a new paragraph in order to work, it'd be more "necessary", but I agree that it's pointless as-is.

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:36 PM
Professional Whatever
If it's possible to modify the

tags so they perform like

tags, that could be an easy fix. I don't actually know how this stuff works though so I'm not sure what can be done or how it's done.

Sep 15, 2014 at 10:19 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Or do that hover over to view text like they do with IMDB. Though I'm not sure how that will fare on a mobile device...

I don't think I've ever had a need to use hide tags. They only conceal text, not even links, and glaring lines of red are annoying enough to look at as they are. With the occasional blue popping out every once in a while.

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:03 PM
Professional Whatever
The hover over text would fuck phones up, or at least blackberries afaik.

Sep 16, 2014 at 3:47 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Reworking hide into an inline spoiler is the best bet. Something like this:

"I am posting (spoiler: click to view).. look at me go."

..which (after clicking) becomes:

"I am posting spoilers.. look at me go."

Of course I would want to do this during the ipb4 upgrade. IPB4 is going to completely ditch bbcode, and I am going to completely substitute it with my pure bbcode editor. So when that happens I will have complete control over every aspect of bbcode rendering.

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:34 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dunc2403 said:
What will it replace it with?
Essentially the spoiler text will be replaced by an inline link that says "(spoiler: click to view)" that will then be substituted with the spoilered text upon clicking said link. This way spoilers won't have to break the surrounding text into multiple lines in cases where you simply want to hide part of the text.

Unless you are asking about the editor?

Sep 16, 2014 at 1:43 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Probably markdown, it's the trendy new way to format content
They both have their pros and cons, imo overall bbcode is easier to figure out but markdown is more concise

Sep 16, 2014 at 2:16 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dunc2403 said:
Yeah, I meat what does IBP4 have to replace bbcode with?
HTML and fancy visual editors will replace bbcode in IPB4. IPB3 is kinda half and half (bbcode/html hybrid) at the moment. The folks at IPS clearly got sick of having to push bbcode support onto a wysiwyg editor and simply dropped bbcode support entirely.

Sep 16, 2014 at 2:51 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
does that mean I'll be able to inject <style> tags into my posts too now? *u*

Sep 16, 2014 at 3:14 PM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Sep 16, 2014 at 5:41 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"..."

This feature isn't really that good anyway, so remove it I guess

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:22 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
does that mean I'll be able to inject <style> tags into my posts too now? *u*
No, for two reasons:
  1. IPB filters its html (it is essentially the IPB3 default editor with no bbcode).
  2. I'll be throwing out that editor for my custom bbcode editor (BBCEd), so no html regardless.
The reason why I am going for pure bbcode is that for instance it is near impossible to make a change to to the output of hide after the fact if we go for pure html. I consider IPB4's editor to be a Pandora's Box I'd rather leave closed.