Curly in Chalenge mode. (Only on CS+)

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:10 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Sep 10, 2014 at 12:53 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Huh interesting little mechanic. Did you find this out by yourself? Thissort of reminds of when I was playing Super Mario bros deluxe on gameboy and I pressed select by mistake on the level select and could play as luigi.

Sep 10, 2014 at 2:21 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Interesting find. It wonders me if it's loading the files from the Curly Story mod, or just the bottom-most frames from the base MyChar. Probably the latter since it apparently still loads the alternate tilesets and images from other mods. I can't test this since my version of Cave Story+ is from December 2011. Maybe someone could test to confirm this?

Sep 10, 2014 at 2:23 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Oh hey, I never knew that you could do this.
There's a slight variant of the glitch where if you play Curly Mode in eShop, then quit and go to challenges and play Time Attack or Wind Fortress, Curly will turn into Quote, so you get Qu-
I'm not going there.
Basically, there's two Quotes now.
(I don't necessarily remember the full details, but I think it had something to do with dying in Hell first...? I don't know, I think now it's play as Curly, go to Time Attack, die, go to main Story, quit, go back to hell, Quote as Curly. Hm... I really don't remember anymore, nor do I have the means to test it out.)

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:54 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I actually found this by myself messing with the game's options menu and i searched the whole internet about this but it wasn't found yet.
Achievement Unlocked :D
Basically It's changes Quote's sprites with Curly's no matter what challenge you play (even changing the Quote's sprite in the replays)

Sep 10, 2014 at 5:33 PM
Based Member
alfasketer said:
Basically It's changes Quote's sprites with Curly's no matter what challenge you play (even changing the Quote's sprite in the replays)
Right, that's what I figured. But what I'm wondering is whether it's reading the MyChar located in data\base\MyChar.bmp, or the one located in data\CurlyStory\MyChar.bmp. It's probably the one in the base folder but I'm not sure. Would you be willing to modify the Curly frames in data\base\MyChar.bmp and try it out to see if that's the image it's loading from? I just want to be positive.

Sep 10, 2014 at 5:43 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
As you can see i deleted Curly's face for the Curly Story char file
2014-09-10_00001.jpg

And then i tried and it didn't do the same
2014-09-10_00002.jpg

[Edit: I saw they were left-sided and right-sided sprite so i tested it in-game but it wasn't deleted.]

[P.S. Any one wants a Curly's face deleted for their game :D]

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:01 PM
Based Member
All right, thanks. That confirms my suspicion.

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:18 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I just remembered that in the base char file Curly's headphones [or earphones i don't know] are green but in the different mods (easy, hard and the challenges) are purple and you can find a char file that contains the all the playable sprites (like the file in Curly Story) but i don't know which one it reads (for the secret).

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:27 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Weird, I'll try it.

Sep 11, 2014 at 3:49 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
I'd imagine Wind Fortress would look pretty...odd. ^_^;

Nice job finding this, Alfa. :3

Sep 11, 2014 at 5:46 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Thanks, preciate it.
Actually I got through machine gun challenge only and I don't know if the other challenges have "replay best" secrets (because i couldn't finish the other challenges #noob :D) so could anyone check if there are other secrets.

Sep 11, 2014 at 10:43 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
alfasketer said:
Thanks, preciate it.
Actually I got through machine gun challenge only and I don't know if the other challenges have "replay best" secrets (because i couldn't finish the other challenges #noob :D) so could anyone check if there are other secrets.
It's a glitch in the loading of the files, not a secret that was intended to happen (it goes away after you exit out of a challenge anyways).

When it comes to NICALiS, it's almost expected to find these things.

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:22 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
EnlightenedOne said:
It's a glitch in the loading of the files, not a secret that was intended to happen (it goes away after you exit out of a challenge anyways).

When it comes to NICALiS, it's almost expected to find these things.
Maybe you're right I would 100% agree with you if it was some random challenge but by finding it by the machine gun challenge I was like "Curly's Challenge unlocked by Machine gun Challenge that totally makes sense" (cause the first time you see Curly she carries the machine gun)".

Still, maybe your right I don't know. At the end of the day NICALIS must Double-check on 3-Year-Old-Game's Gliches

Cough Cough Broken Achievements Cough Cough

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:18 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I had this happen a couple of times, and had no clue what was causing it. (In my fruitless attempts at good challenge times) I guess the real reason has been found and documented.