CS in Vista (Ad No Rantium!)

Feb 21, 2008 at 8:41 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Well, it's official.
DB likes Vista.
Why?
Well, it's stable, powerful, the DRM isn't a problem, and it has good compatibillity.
I mean, at first the GUI was strange (I had it set to Windows 98 for a week or two), but it grows on you.
And it has a really interesting feature (I believe this was asked in another topic: "How do I turn off the music in Cave Story, so I can jam to my own tunes?" (Paraphrased)). Well, simply put, get Vista. It's volume conrtol lets you do it on a per-program basis. So, instead of the (albeit cute and whimisical) beep-tone music, I listen to Living Dead Girl and XO.

There are only 2 flaws I've seen with regards to CS/Vista compatibility:
- The volume button in CS gives an error message (not too bad)
- Vista doesn't trust CS at first. I turned off the tattle-tale user account control to get rid of the message.

So, yeah. Vista = good.

DB's system: 4 GB ram, lame prosessor.

Feb 21, 2008 at 9:04 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
DragonBoots said:
Well, it's official.
DB likes Vista.
Why?
Well, it's stable, powerful, the DRM isn't a problem, and it has good compatibillity.
I mean, at first the GUI was strange (I had it set to Windows 98 for a week or two), but it grows on you.
And it has a really interesting feature (I believe this was asked in another topic: "How do I turn off the music in Cave Story, so I can jam to my own tunes?" (Paraphrased)). Well, simply put, get Vista. It's volume conrtol lets you do it on a per-program basis. So, instead of the (albeit cute and whimisical) beep-tone music, I listen to Living Dead Girl and XO.

There are only 2 flaws I've seen with regards to CS/Vista compatibility:
- The volume button in CS gives an error message (not too bad)
- Vista doesn't trust CS at first. I turned off the tattle-tale user account control to get rid of the message.

So, yeah. Vista = good.

DB's system: 4 GB ram, lame prosessor.

I run vista on 1GB ram and I rarely have problems with anything.

Feb 21, 2008 at 11:01 PM
Skeik_Sprite said:
I run vista on 1GB ram and I rarely have problems with anything.
Wow.
Ish it sluggish?

Feb 22, 2008 at 1:03 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
The Vista matter is a complicated one, though most of its problems come from its incompatibility. The first real issue is which version to get out of the five. Since we're probably not using Vista for business purposes, our only sensible choices are Vista Home Basic and Vista Home Premium. The Basic version lacks just about everything, having less capabilities than even XP. Needless to say, it's completely useless, so don't even consider it. Premium has everything you’ll need, though. Now for the big problem: the aforementioned incompatibility. There’s a huge amount of crap Vista just won’t interact with whatsoever, especially items from XP. A majority of this crap is hardware, and you have to do a humongous amount of shit to get them to work, and even then most of the hardware just can‘t be used by Vista regardless, at least not yet. It’s irritating to an extreme.

Oh, and by the way, the Windows Vista Agreement is written so that Microsoft can legally be negligent. Doesn't that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside?

Feb 22, 2008 at 5:32 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Kageryushin said:
The Vista matter is a complicated one, though most of its problems come from its incompatibility. The first real issue is which version to get out of the five. Since we're probably not using Vista for business purposes, our only sensible choices are Vista Home Basic and Vista Home Premium.
I wouldn't be so quick to throw those options away considering that XP Professional worked more efficiently and with higher compatibility than XP Home did, in my opinion Home wasn't worth getting and I am still regretting the switchover, when I got a new computer a fair while back. What I am saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing applied to vista. I think I might stick with XP for now.

Feb 22, 2008 at 8:04 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
andwhyisit said:
I wouldn't be so quick to throw those options away considering that XP Professional worked more efficiently and with higher compatibility than XP Home did, in my opinion Home wasn't worth getting and I am still regretting the switchover, when I got a new computer a fair while back. What I am saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing applied to vista. I think I might stick with XP for now.
My computer with motherboard troubles was a Windows XP Home Edition. Maybe that's why it finally failed on me after I got it about 4 years ago?

Before that, around August 2007, the air conditioning fan broke down and triggered some type of instant auto-shutdown. Both the power supply fan in the back AND the AC fan needed to be replaced. Luckily, both accidents haven't destroyed my Win XP Home computer, so it's alright.

Feb 22, 2008 at 12:05 PM
DragonBoots said:
Wow.
Ish it sluggish?

Not at all. I can run some games I didn't think I would be able to, and only a few have compatibility problems. Of course, I did turn that Aero crap off though.

Feb 23, 2008 at 8:34 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
andwhyisit said:

I wish this were true. While XP Professional is validly able to claim its superiority, the Vista Business options are just completely unable to do these things. They’re completely different. Ultimate has a bunch of crap, but it's sluggish.

Feb 24, 2008 at 1:47 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Kageryushin said:
I wish this were true. While XP Professional is validly able to claim its superiority, the Vista Business options are just completely unable to do these things. They’re completely different. Ultimate has a bunch of crap, but it's sluggish.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

Feb 25, 2008 at 6:21 PM
Skeik_Sprite said:
Not at all. I can run some games I didn't think I would be able to, and only a few have compatibility problems. Of course, I did turn that Aero crap off though.
I had it off at first, but I have 4 gigs to burn, so why not?
And the only compatibillity issue I've had is with Microsoft Excel 2000...
o.o

Feb 25, 2008 at 8:56 PM
DragonBoots said:
I had it off at first, but I have 4 gigs to burn, so why not?
And the only compatibillity issue I've had is with Microsoft Excel 2000...
o.o

I think areo's problem is not ram, but Vram.

Feb 26, 2008 at 12:21 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Skeik_Sprite said:
Aero does get annoying after a while.