Crowned Christmas

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:08 PM
Part-Time Perfectionist
Pixel Cut-Content Discord Admin
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
So just today I downloaded a 2006 Cave Story Mod from the Dokutsu Uploader, it was in English.
It actually looked fairly decent from the outside, custom icons, a custom music player... But then I opened it and I was greeted with a lovely error message, the error.log informed me that some of the .pbm files for the game we're missing, even though the game is literally referred to as "CrownedChristmasFixed."
So I did what anyone with a brain would do: Copy the .pbm files from Cave Story and it booted to the title screen!
And so I listened to the remixed menu music feeling satisfied... Until I pressed "New" and discovered that I needed to copy more .pbm files... And it still didn't work, this time printing no error message.
Upon a bit more inspection I found out that the game contained some .orgified tracks from Ikachan and some Cave Story tunes remade to sound like they we're from MS-DOS, they're ideal for dancing to, though.
... OK, just got an error log with something in it, let's copy more .pbms and rename them to .bmps! YEE!
HOLY SHIT! IT WORKS! I FIXED IT!! YESS!!!

DISCLAIMER: I did not make this mod, I merely made it work.

I found this mod while browsing the Dokutsu Uploader, it looked good but refused to work, so I fixed it because I thought it looked good.

This mod is actually pretty decent, especially for a 2006 mod, minus the bad English.
It's full of nifty things; like looking at a computer screen shows a map of the stage, or all the enemies being teleported in by lightning.

New version out:
I've also made a new improved version with custom sounds and extra fixes to textures and level design.
It's called zxin's Edition, tell me if you prefer the original or not.

Screenshot.png

Download attached below, have fun.

Attachments

• CrownedChristmasFixed.zip
    939.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Crowned Christmas (zxin's Edition).zip
    960.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Jan 18, 2016 at 12:46 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
2006? I didn't knew CS modding has been around for so long.
I have looked at some of the bitmaps and it certainly looks and sounds interesting, I'll definitely try it out(and edit this post) once I have time.
It does sounds like you have done a good job fixing it, I don't know if these have been around already, but maybe you should make a guide for fixing this issue somewhere?

Jan 18, 2016 at 1:54 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I just checked it out and it reminds me of an older CS mod I once played when I was lurking here for mods, so I've done some research and it seems that the creator, who is called ShInInG PhAnToM according to the Readme, is actually @S. P. Gardebiter.
In fact, here is the thread of the original mod: http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/discusion-cave-story-3-the-crowned-witch.277/
It's interesting that you found it on Doukutsu Uploader though, I wonder who put it there? (Also yay I know what S. P. means now)

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2016 at 1:07 AM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
>created with sue's workshop
well
this is pretty good for something from sue's workshop

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:30 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yes this is SP's old mod; the thread Miccs linked even explains that the other files were missing. Interestingly though the version of the Crowned Christmas release I have (i.e. the original) still has .pmb's, which makes a lot more sense. Don't know the deal is with that upload you found. I'll take a peek at what you've done anyway because it's been a while.

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:10 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Where was the game crashing? You should have been able to reach the end of Red Hell 1 without needing to alter anything. Aside from that it's the same except for some graphics/sound changes, in case anyone else is wondering.
I still really like that waterway opening