Core Level- Tow Rope.

May 27, 2006 at 1:57 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hacking Cave Story.

Edit:
I've seen the Cave Story hacking guides, but they lack a few vital information.
First, what program should I use?
Second, what part of the whole code is the hex?
Lastly, what do I edit?

I thank everyone who help in advance.

May 27, 2006 at 2:07 PM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I'm not sure about Profile hacking..(never done it) but to get the tow rope to appear, all you have to do is not get the booster 0.8 right before the third Balrog fight.

May 27, 2006 at 2:15 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yeah, I've already gotten the Booster 0.8, before the Balrog fight. I don't know what's wrong.

Still trying to figure out the hacking.

And also, I've done everything the Cave Story guide said, up to this point.

May 27, 2006 at 2:33 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
No, if you have the Booster 0.8, you can't save Curly, you can't get the Mushroom badge and all. So, you need to AVOID talking to Prof Booster.

May 27, 2006 at 2:40 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
jeffreymaher9@hotmail.com said:
No, if you have the Booster 0.8, you can't save Curly, you can't get the Mushroom badge and all. So, you need to AVOID talking to Prof Booster.
Oh.

I see.

So... I need to reset the game now, eh.

Alright, thanks for the help.

Help about hacking Profile.dat would be appreciated.

May 27, 2006 at 8:42 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Lackaday said:
Oh.

I see.

So... I need to reset the game now, eh.

If this is your first time through the game, I'd really suggest going on through to the end (you're about 2/3 of the way there already). The "best" ending isn't quite as satisfying if you haven't already seen the "normal" ending, in my opinion.

EDIT: Also, I haven't tried it before so I'm not sure how much this helps, but this site has guides for hacking Profile.dat here and here. Hopefully they can get you what you need.

May 29, 2006 at 10:24 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
all you need to hack the profile dat is a hexediter i sugest Cygnus if you use windows it's a simple hex editor with few features but it's perfect for basic tasks. if your a mac users - I've been told HexEditor and HexEdit are two good Mac hex editors. of couse you should use the guides aswell

May 30, 2006 at 8:35 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
q_3 said:
If this is your first time through the game, I'd really suggest going on through to the end (you're about 2/3 of the way there already). The "best" ending isn't quite as satisfying if you haven't already seen the "normal" ending, in my opinion.
Haha, yes, well, I've already finished the game before, thanks. I just wanted to fix the bug in the middle, where Curly does not appear on the Plantation.
q_3 said:
EDIT: Also, I haven't tried it before so I'm not sure how much this helps, but this site has guides for hacking Profile.dat here and here. Hopefully they can get you what you need.
Thanks, but I've already seen those. Thanks though.
God of Chaos said:
all you need to hack the profile dat is a hexediter i sugest Cygnus if you use windows it's a simple hex editor with few features but it's perfect for basic tasks. if your a mac users - I've been told HexEditor and HexEdit are two good Mac hex editors. of couse you should use the guides aswell
I use Windows and the link for the hex editor you suggested shows a site with a 404 error. Sorry.

May 30, 2006 at 8:51 PM
"Huzzah!"
you don't need to go through all the trouble of profile hacking to get the tow rope
just use sue's workshop to make an <IT+0030 event

May 30, 2006 at 8:54 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
caveoholic! said:
you don't need to go through all the trouble of profile hacking to get the tow rope
just use sue's workshop to make an <IT+0030 event
Uhh, not sure what you mean...

Anyway, I've got some update as to where I am.

I've restarted the game and got the Booster V 2.0 and the tow rope. I've also picked up Curly. She died because I didn't get into the waterway cabin.

So now I must restart the game again.

Aren't I such a fool?

Edit: I found an alternitive downloading site for Cygnus.

I'm still a tad confused on editing the hex.

What do I edit? It doesn't seem to work when I edit the first few digits.

Jun 2, 2006 at 8:32 PM
"Huzzah!"
IT stands for item & 0030 is the item number for the tow rope