Connorses's Hopelessly Ambitious Inspiration to Become a Modder

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Now, I've been programming in Java for some time now, in fact I started making an engine for a platform game using a program called Processing recently. I also like making art and music and such... I was looking through these threads and thinking how much fun it would be to try and make my own little RPG game by modding Cave Story. I was inspired by all the stuff people made here and also that little Pixelin game demo.

Now, while I know a fair amount about what makes games tick but I've never used any of these modding tools before, so at this point I don't know if my idea will be a huge success or a half baked failure. And just so you guys know I may even put it on "indefinite hiatus" in favor of my other project. But who knows? Maybe it'll be really cool. You have to start somewhere after all... I'm mostly making this thread so I can keep a log of what I learn in regards to modding, and in the event that I actually accomplish something this little thread will get to document it. Hurray. X3

So, I plan to make an original story and I want to make some maps from scratch, and I have a good idea of what the plot is. It will still be on some sort of floating island, however, and there will of course be plenty of references to Cave Story, and the story is partially inspired by a little game you may or may not have heard of called Samorost. It'll be not to long an' not to short.

On the other hand, I might totally be able to program it all myself and not need to mod anything. It would just be it's own game. WHO KNOWS.

TL;DR ~ I'm not sure if I'm going to follow through with it yet, but I want to look into making a CS mod with an original story and maps. I will keep track of what I'm learning about modding in this thread

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:17 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I know what it is...
You want to make a 2x res mod.

Aug 18, 2013 at 1:14 PM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
metalsonic71 said:
I know what it is...
You want to make a 2x res mod.
uh
maybe he just wants to mod cave story
i really have no idea where you got that from

Aug 18, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
if you had an internet button. i would slap it 12 times because congratz your gonna become AWSUM

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Good luck. It's a patient game of learning what you can do with the engine, little by little, each and every day you practice modding.

And you know where to get help if you need it, the site has threads for many different kinds of edits possible to the game.

Also a RPG sounds really fun right now...

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I have faith in your victory. I'd love to see what you manage to make. :D

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:28 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
EnlightenedOne said:
Good luck. It's a patient game of learning what you can do with the engine, little by little, each and every day you practice modding.

And you know where to get help if you need it, the site has threads for many different kinds of edits possible to the game.

Also a RPG sounds really fun right now...
It's good to find a friendly community for these things. ;)

...So far Noxid's beginner's guide actually makes Cave Editor seem surprisingly easy, I thought it was going to be more trouble than this to go in and make entities and dialogue and such.

I used to make levels all the time for a game called Gish with a built-in editor and Gish is a physics platformer so there is NO END to the amount of stuff you can cram into a level. Cave Editor kind of reminds me of that, with how you build tiles and entities. But this is adds a lot more power to make an actual STORY. Perhaps, my first mods will focus not so much on story, but rather on making fun/challenging levels to learn how things work. I will also no doubt be looking into ways I can exploit quirks in the code to do funny things too. Did you know Quote can keep walking around while dialogue is present? :p

Note: I have decided to keep the tutorial open on my Macbook while I work on Cave Editor on my Windows machine. Huzzah!

What I've done:
I went through Noxid's tutorial for Cave Editor and it was awesome. I was messing around with the first two caves and I put an entity from the Waterway's boss in the start room that makes random blocks fly across the screen. So that was fun.

Then I fired up the old .org editor and made this thing I attached and pretty much learned how every function works including the copy-pastes and the different views. :D

Attachments

• Lemons2.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 4
Aug 20, 2013 at 3:32 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Wow, that's a really nice song.

I wish you luck on your quest with your mod, it can be hard and most users can give up after 6+ months of working on it.

perseverance is key.