Comprehensive OrgMaker Instrument List

May 15, 2018 at 10:57 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
OrgMaker is a simple program to use, but one of the most difficult tasks when creating music in the program is selecting instruments. This, of course, is because the instruments are not properly labeled. There have been other threads that have tried to identify the sounds of each wave more thoroughly, but none have been done to a level of detail to my liking. With that said, I took it upon myself to start a spreadsheet that tries to link each OrgMaker wave with its instrument/waveform equivalent.

This spreadsheet, however, is a PUBLIC document. I want the whole community's input on this list so it can be as accurate and filled up as possible. Many waves are difficult to identify (does an instrument equivalent to Wave-33 even exist??), so it is essential that other members with knowledge on the subject contribute. Please add to this list if you think you can help.

OrgMaker Instrument Documentation Spreadsheet

I tried to keep the format of the document simple. There is a column for writing the instrument(s) that each wave is equivalent to, and one other column for notes or tidbits about a waveform that may be useful to know. I'm going to try not to be too strict on what gets entered in the latter column since it's intentionally kind of ambiguous, but please be confident in your entries for the first column since that's the meat of this project.

As of writing starting this thread, I have already finished finding instrument equivalents for a quarter of the waves. I'm fairly knowledgeable with OrgMaker sounds, but very inexperienced with it comes to actual instruments, so it was somewhat tough for me to fill out some of the entries, and the reason why I didn't fill out more despite my years of using the program. This also means that my labels may not be correct or specific enough. A lot of my comparisons were made using general MIDI instruments as a reference. If you believe there are any inaccuracies in anything that I (or anybody else, for that matter) wrote down, please do not hesitate to update it with the correct information!

Important note for those using this as a reference when creating songs in OrgMaker: proper volume management is absolutely KEY when trying to nail a certain instrument's sound. If you leave everything at its default volume and don't add any volume handles yourself, you will likely not achieve the sound you intend for. For example, when trying to emulate certain piano or guitar sounds, you need create an appropriate (usually sharp) decay when each note plays. This can be tedious, but this is where Org210's volume commands come in handy. If you're confused on what kind of decay you may need, search up how the instrument you're trying to emulate sounds and create a decay that reflects the real thing. Increasing the resolution of your org (i.e. doubling the length of your notes and cutting the wait time in half) will allow you to create much more detailed decays, which may sometimes be necessary.

Related readings:
Classification of Wave Sounds in ORGs
Instrument equivalents in ORGmaker?

May 17, 2018 at 1:56 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Thanks for the work you've done here. It's always good to see more people working to get these instruments documented. I haven't worked with Org Maker in a while, but I'm sure I'll find this useful when I get back at it.