Community Project Dev Thread [DONE]

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:51 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Community Project Dev Thread [COMPLETION CHECKLIST POSTED]

Old OP:
If you didn't catch the discussion thread, this is to be a creative community collaboration to offer Nicalis for the scheduled CS+ update December, because we currently have little to offer them in terms of what they want (which basically amounts to "new maps only"). This thread is where you will submit your ideas, maps and mod feedback; please keep all discussion regarding the specifics of the project over here. I'll put the sections in spoilers this time because I expect them to start large and only get larger. Also note that the deadline for submission is currently set to November 21st midnight American WST.

AMENDMANT TO THE ABOVE: The 21st is now the submission deadline for the Take 8 beta; a hesitant deadline for final submission is now one week later, or November 28th, same time.

SECOND AMENDMANT: It's now November 30th, and I expect it to be extended at least once more :critter:

NO SOLDIERS IN HOUSES: A static deadline has been nixed in favour of a list detailing who needs to do what in order to get this puppy wrapped up. Things that are not put on the list are not going to be waited for, as we are running out of time here. ALL OF YOU CHECK THIS.

Because strikethrough doesn't work anymore:
Code:
[s]Dunc2403:[/s] [s]Post fixed version of area[/s]
[s]Tpcool:[/s] [s]Post updated version of area[/s]
[s]Noxid and Lace:[/s] [s]Post completed area[/s] [s]Post updated version of area[/s]
[s]DoubleThink:[/s] [s]Post completed area[/s]
[s]MagicDoors:[/s] [s]Post fixed version of area[/s]
[s]CommanderJersey:[/s] [s]Post completed area/Update area to use the flags he was actually assigned[/s] [s]Post updated version of area[/s]
[s]Hiino:[/s] [s]Post completed area[/s] [s]along with a guide detailing how to get through it properly >_> (serious)[/s]
[s]ShInInG PhAnToM Batrider:[/s] [s]Post completed area[/s]
[s]Safusaka:[/s] [s]Post something or decide that there isn't enough time to complete it[/s]
ALL CLEAR!

How to contribute
If you want to submit an area, then please fill out the submission form below so I can coordinate them and assign you your flag numbers etc. You will need these before you start, so please wait until I add you before you do too much work. If you are uncertain of your modding ability, you are free to wait until you're confident you know what to do; If I am uncertain of your modding ability, I will request that you provide a sample before I add you.

Note on difficulty: Things should be hard enough to retain some challenge after completion, but not to the degree that they're a roadblock to later areas. If you want to try something experimental or really difficult, you can make that part optional (and therefore fully leave-able via some mechanism).

If you don't want to do any modding, you can help out by signing up to test maps as they are posted, but please only do one or the other if you aren't finished with your part yet. I want to keep everyone's workload as low as possible (although if you think looking at someone else's work will help that's fine).

Project modding rules
Or, quality control. The use of things like music and tilesets can only really be first come first served, so try not to hog all the predictable ideas at once. I'm willing to do some fixing/cleaning up for the main project, but do try to do the most professional job that you can. You are free to work together to help your areas 'match up' better, provided you do it properly. Some type of connectivity or theme may have to be thought up before the end; this will warrant further discussion, as will what to do with item descriptions. The individual areas and a speedrun mode will likely be made available in some manner too.

In terms of writing: it's okay to use NPCs, but go light on the dialogue. It may get difficult to explain why they're all turning up in random places so it's probably a good idea to have some fun with it. Some type of interactivity is encouraged, otherwise the project might end up feeling a bit empty and listless.

Mapping rules and tips:
-Everything must be (at least visually) 'clean'. No messy mapping that jarrs the players' movements or makes them constantly get stuck in the ground.
-Don't overuse spikes/enemies of any kind/etc unless you know exactly what you're doing.
-Don't put in enemies that make a ton of noise when you can't see them, or things like moving blocks and Presses that activate before they actually should.
-Try to avoid using tilesets/enemy sets that have already been used multiple times. Also don't remake Hell, it's been overdone to limbo and back.
-You can change a map's tileset, but only to another already-existing tileset (i.e. you can't make your own). You can also change the tile properties if you so wish.

Scripting rules and tips:
-If something doesn't work properly, it gets fixed or removed. Simple as that.
-Only use the flags that are allocated to you, and try not to design things that will need skipflags.
-Make sure to animate things like doors and chests properly.
-Your maps are limited, but with <MOV it's a simple matter to have multiple 'maps' in one.
-Your area cannot being from a 'start' point - you must <TRA from somewhere else to begin the first area. You should provide this <TRA function when you submit your area for ease of connecting them up.
-All items you give over the course of your area must be completely removed at the end, so that each area is fully self-contained. It follows logically that you must add in anything you want the player to start with, and do things like provide your own exp crystals if you want weapons levelled up. If you want to, for example, level up other weapons but not the Nemesis, then only give it to the player after they can't access the exp anymore. Creative modding!
-Please understand the difference between <KEY and <PRI, and use the latter if in doubt.
-Try to avoid using the same idea(s) as someone else, and don't all rush to use the Booster 2.0/Spur/other predictable things.
-If you're going to put a boss fight in, do something interesting with it.
-Scripting fanciness is always appreciated :awesomeface:
-If in doubt, the easiest advice I can give is "check how Pixel did it".

EXAMPLES OF WHAT YOU COULD DO:
-PUZZLE TYPE AREAS THAT DON'T REQUIRE ANY SHOOTING
-PUZZLE TYPE AREAS THAT DO REQUIRE SHOOTING
-MOVING BLOCK AREAS
-WIND OR WATER BASED AREAS
-A TON OF THINGS INVOLVING H AND V TRIGGERS
-A DARK AREA/OTHER STYLES OF THINGS THAT NEED THE MAP SYSTEM
-LARGE <CMP USE LIKE IN JENKA'S NIGHTMARE, OR REALLY ANYTHING YOU CAN DO WITH ANY OF THE COMMANDS
-AREAS THAT REQUIRE THE SPECIFIC PROPERTIES OF WEAPONS OR ENEMIES, OR GIVING ENEMIES SPECIFIC PROPERTIES
-THE IDEAS THAT TYRONE POSTED IN THE THREAD
tyrone said:
- NEMESIS CHALLENGE: ENEMIES DROP CRYSTALS AND THERE ARE LOTS OF CRYSTALS CONTAINERS, BUT YOU HAVE TO AVOID THEM SO YOU DON'T END UP WITH DUCKS
- CONTRA/METAL SLUG-INSPIRED LEVELS: WE HAVE NEW ENEMIES IN THE FORM OF THE CURLY CLONES AND THEY'RE PRETTY MEAN
- CLIMB THE TOWER: IMAGINE A TOWER WITH TONS OF FALLING BLOCKS, SPIKES AND ENEMIES PREVENTING YOU FROM GETTING TO THE TOP
- PLATFORMER-LIKE LEVEL(S): YOU'RE MOSTLY JUMPING/BOOSTING TO GET TO THE END OF THE LEVEL. EITHER YOU HAVE A WEAK WEAPON OR NO WEAPON AT ALL
THANK YOU TYRONE
-NOT GLITCHY PHYSICS ABUSE
-INVINCIBILITY ABUSE
-CAPSLOCK ABUSE

In can understand people wanting to make 'general challenge' style areas, but the idea is to show off as much fancy modding and scripting as we can. This includes things that may have been done in other mods before but not this one, so don't feel like you can't borrow from the past. You should probably all be familiar with at least a few such ideas.

VISUAL EXAMPLE

Submission form
Things that you don't have to add in right at the start are marked with a *. Explanation text is in black. My reasoning for most of these is explained in the discussion thread, so I don't feel like repeating them.

Username: Should be obvious.
Area Name*: Personal touch.
General Description: This is pretty much to show people what's already been done, so they can try to do something different.
No. of maps: Up to 4.
Desired Health: Ranges from 3 to whatever, but be reasonable AND SPECIFIC about it.
Desired Tileset(s)/Background(s)*: See
Desired Enemy Set(s)*: General
Desired Music(s)*: Description

Upon approval, you will be issued your flags and be allowed to start making submissions. The simplest way to do this will be to upload them as a mod for people to try. Uploading an unfinished version for feedback is okay, but try to only do it once, otherwise the thread will become too cluttered. andwhyisit will be putting the maps together, so after a few are available I'll ask him to put together a beta version. Don't forget the deadline!

Submission and area lists (also flag numbers)
Submission list:
Username: Pigaro
Area Name: Outer Wall type area
General Description: Probably a jumping puzzle
No. of maps: 1-2
Desired Health: 9-ish
Desired Tileset(s)/Background(s): Oside / Moon?
Desired Enemy Set(s): None
Desired Music(s): Moonsong

Username: Shimmyzmizz
Area Name: Yes-No
General Description: Series of battle rooms using <YNJ
No. of maps: 3
Desired Health: Doesn't matter (?)
Desired Tileset(s): River, Jail
Desired Enemy Set(s): Maze, Cent
Desired Music(s): Labyrinth Fight

Username: CommanderJersey
Area Name: Grit Zone
General Description: Machine Gun manipulation
Desired Health: 21
Desired Tileset(s): Sand Zone
Desired Enemy Set(s): Sand Zone/Omega
Desired Music(s): Meltdown 2, Eyes of Flame

Username: Lacexid
Area Name: Indiana Quote and the Temple of Ill Fate
General Description: Treasure hunt
No. of maps: 5
Desired Health: 10
Desired Tileset(s): White, Hell, Cent
Desired Enemy Set(s): Eggs2, Maze, Miza, Cent, Weed
Desired Music(s): Scorching Back, Run!, Tyrant, Last Cave, Seal Chamber (?)

Username: 404notfound
Area Name: Inner Network
General Description: Core battle w/no weapons + Booster 0.8
No. of maps: 2
Desired Health: 40
Desired Tileset(s): Almond, Pens, Store
Desired Enemy Set(s): Core
Desired Music(s): Oppression, Jenka 1

Username: Hiino
Area Name: Glitchy area
General Description: Glitch-based puzzles
Desired Health: 30
Desired Tileset(s): Maze, River
Desired Enemy Set(s): Weed, Eggs1
Desired Music(s): Quiet, Run!, Balrog's Theme (?)

Username: Tpcool
Area Name: The Fall
General Description: Falling/dodging area
Desired Health: 5
Desired Tileset(s): Cave
Desired Enemy Set(s): Red
Desired Music(s): Last Cave

Username: S. P. Gardebiter
Area Name: Tower of Tempest
General Description: Script-activated enemies + platforming
No. of maps: 4
Desired Health: 40+
Desired Tileset(s)/Background(s): Gard, Jail, Sand / Null, Moon
Desired Enemy Set(s): Cent, Hell, Ravil, Red, Toro
Desired Music(s): Gestation, Jenka 2, Labyrinth Fight, Pulse

Username: MagicDoors
Area Name: Zangetsu
General Description: Platforming
Desired Health: 20
Desired Tileset(s)/Background(s): Oside / Fog
Desired Enemy Set(s)*: Moon, Stream (?)
Desired Music(s): Safety, Pulse, Moonsong

Username: DoubleThink
Area Name: Access
General Description: Forced movement (wind-type) tiles, Snake use, general everything
No. of maps: 4
Desired Health: 17
Desired Tileset(s)/Background(s): Eggs, River, White / Gard, Green, Maze, Blue
Desired Enemy Set(s): Eggs1, Eggs2, Cent? / ???
Desired Music(s): Mischievous Robot, Scorching Back, Geothermal

Username: Wedge of Cheese
Area Name: Danger in the Tunnels
General Description: Moving blocks + Booster 2.0
No. of maps: 2-3
Desired Health: 10-ish
Desired Tileset(s)/Background(s): Mimi, Maze / Fog, Maze
Desired Enemy Set(s): Maze
Desired Music(s): Plant, Jenka 2, Seal Chamber, Gravity

Username: Dunc2403
Area Name: Void
Description: Black area navigated with Map System
No. of maps: 1
Desired Health: 3
Desired Tileset(s)/Background(s): Store / bk0
Desired Music(s): None

Username: Safusaka
Area Name: Fognatura Fossa
General Description: Water and jump puzzles
Desired Health: 15
Desired Tileset/Background: Cent, Maze, Almond / Maze, Green, Water
Desired Enemy Set: Undecided
Desired Music: Quiet, Gestation

Username: HyMyNameIsMatt
Area Name: Think About It
General Description: "Puzzle area"
No. of maps: 1
Desired Health: 3
Desired Tileset(s)/Background(s): PrtAlmond and Bk0
Desired Music(s): Balcony

Area list (flag numbers go here):
Current ordering:
<03> Void [Dunc2403]: Flags 2550 to 2599 {Completed; page 23} ; edits PrtStore

<03> The Fall [Tpcool]: Flags 1750 to 1849 {Completed; page 26}
<11> Temple of Etcetera [Noxid + Lace]: Flags 1400 to 1499 {Completed; page 26}; edits PrtWhite
<17> Access [DoubleThink]: Flags 2200 to 2399 {Completed; page 27}; edits PrtEggs, PrtWhite
<20> Zangetsu [MagicDoors]: Flags 2050 to 2199 {Completed; page 23}
<21> Grit Zone [CommanderJersey]: Flags 1250 to 1399 {Completed; page 24} ; edits PrtSand
<60> Tower of Tempest [S. P. Gardebiter]: Flags 1850 to 2049 {Completed; page 27}

<30> Buy Me More Jewelery [Hiino]: Flags 1600 to 1749 {Completed; page 27} ; edits PrtMaze

Note that "Completed" is not the same as "Finalised". "Completed" means that the area is technically finished in its current form but still needs some work.

Fognatura Fossa [Safusaka]: Flags 2600 to 2749 {Abandoned}
Think About It [HyMyNameIsMatt]: Flags 2750 to 2799 {Abandoned}
Danger in the Tunnels [Wedge of Cheese]: Flags 2400 to 2549 {Abandoned; page 19}
Lunar Ruins [Pigaro]: Flags 1000 to 1099 {Abandoned}
Inner Network [404notfound]: Flags 1500 to 1599 {Abandoned}
Yes-No [Shimmyzmizz]: Flags 1100 to 1249 {Abandoned}

I have almost certainly missed something, but I'd like to keep this thread purely for discussion of mod ideas and content. You can send me VMs for small things or questions you have only of me, while things that haven't been covered yet should go in the discussion thread. All questions regarding how to mod should take place in the already-available threads in the General Discussion subforum, unless you think it's something everyone needs to see. And remember, keeping up with the project is you're responsibility, so I want to see no "oh I didn't read and/or know that" excuses.

I'll try to get my own part done ASAP, as well as the 'starting room', to hopefully provide some idea of the type of final product for you all to work with in mind. So, ummm, have at it I guess :debug:

Get the completed mod here: Take 8 v1.2.2

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 25, 2011 at 11:13 PM
LSD
"..."
Re: Community Project Dev Thread

Can we put Bosses into our maps?
(I don't plan to, just a question)
If so, will there be a Final Boss?
If so to that, who will make it?

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:09 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."

Pigaro said:
Can we put Bosses into our maps?
(I don't plan to, just a question)
If so, will there be a Final Boss?
If so to that, who will make it?

DoubleThink said:
-If you're going to put a boss fight in, do something interesting with it.

Aaaaand I'm not really sure about a final boss fight. I assume there will not be, but DoubleThink will make the final verdict.

Oct 26, 2011 at 3:05 AM
inside is yello
"..."
Well, here's my submission.

Username: Shimmyzmizz
Area Name: Yes-No
General Description: Basically, a series of rooms (in the allotted maps) based around the <YNJ command. i.e. You answer no, you move on, you answer yes, you fight some enemies.
Desired Health: I don't really care, whatever is convenient.
Desired Tileset(s): River, Jail
Desired Enemy Set(s): Maze, Cent
Desired Music(s): Labyrinth Fight

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:20 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator

Submission list updated; expect me to update the OP at least once per day provided that something has happened. I should have time to start work on my part come Friday/the weekend.

Oct 26, 2011 at 8:45 PM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."

My submission.
Username: CommanderJersey
General Description: You use the machine gun to do different kinds of jump tricks while fighting enemys. It's about conserving bullets.
Desired Health: 12-20 is fine
Desired Enemy Set(s): Sand Zone
Desired Music(s): Meltdown 2
Other things: I would like to use Omega.
Also, can we change the tileset properties?

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:00 PM
Been here way too long...

I am going to try to do this, but I am real bad at the time managements, and also I have no concentrated weekendtime due to college visits. Anyways. My ideal stage.
UserNom: Should be obvious.
AreaNom: Duckland
GeneralDescript*: Eradicate sea-creatures to allow the domination of the ducks (a delusional tribe of migmas)!!!
As far as gameplay goes, I was hoping to do a smorgasbord of styles, but probably focusing on puzzle solving.
Number o' Maps: I could make do with one, but would take more if they were available.
Desired Hittypoints: Whatever. Probably less is better than more, but I don't know how difficult this'll be compared to the rest.
Other things to know about?: I would like to use Ironhead. I would also like to award a bubbler.

*As a side note, General Descript would be an awesome name. As would General Discord

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:20 AM
Band
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Area Name: inner network
General Description: this is like a core battle but with no weapons. you need to find the right terminals to destroy it
No. of maps:2
Desired Health: 20
Desired boss : core
Desired flags: I need at max: 30 flags
Desired Tile set :almond
Desired Enemy Set: core
Desired Musics:, oppression and jenka 1
Other things: it would be awesome if I could use the core map (since the boss is already set there)and the dark place WITH a changed tileset and music(it just makes sense)
i am very familiar with scripting and mapping

EDIT: @doublethink even though the official move event in the mod is #500 but how do we specify the coordinates for the >TRA function?
Code:
<TRA0056:0500:????:????
just dosen't make sense

Oct 27, 2011 at 1:23 AM
LSD
"..."
404notfound said:
Area Name: inner network
General Description: this is like a core battle but with no weapons. you need to find the right terminals to destroy it
No. of maps: maybe two
Desired items: booster 0.8
Desired boss : core
Desired flags: I need at max: 25 flags
Desired Tile set :almond
Desired Enemy Set: core
Desired Musics:, oppression and jenka 1
Other things: it would be awesome if I could use the core map (since the boss is already set there)and the dark place WITH a changed tileset and music(it just makes sense)
i am very familiar with scripting and mapping

EDIT: @doublethink even though the official move event in the mod is #500 but how do we specify the coordinates for the >TRA function?
Code:
just dosen't make sense

AndWhy is going to do that. We don't even know who's doing it, so how could we know which map goes where?

Oct 27, 2011 at 2:22 AM
Band
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"

Pigaro said:
AndWhy is going to do that. We don't even know who's doing it, so how could we know which map goes where?
OR we could post the cords in our posts

Oct 27, 2011 at 2:42 AM
LSD
"..."

404notfound said:
OR we could post the cords in our posts

Coordinates, but what about the map numbers?

Oct 27, 2011 at 2:49 AM
Band
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"

Then post that too

Oct 27, 2011 at 4:42 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
CommanderJersey said:
Also, can we change the tileset properties?
DoubleThink said:
-You can't change the tileset graphics, but you can change the tile properties if you so wish.

404notfound said:
You can change the tilesets and music of existing maps, as long as you use what's already in the game. Will specify that in the OP.

404notfound said:
Code:
just dosen't make sense
No uh, event no. #500 is the event number used for the <TRA function to the next person's area, which they can provide to the previous person (or I guess just let andy do it). E.g. everyone's section will end with some variation of
<TRA????:????:????:????
I guess I could designate a universal starting event as well but the person still have to provide their coordinates so eh.

Also fuck me I forgot to give people their flag numbers D: Updating OP again now.

Also also I would really like specific health numbers. The idea is that you are designing your areas around a certain difficullty. If you want to wait until you've done some more work to figure out the exact number, that's fine, but when you upload your mods for playtesting they should come with the amount of health you want people to use in them.

Oct 27, 2011 at 6:32 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Just do something like:

<END

..or some other form of dummy TSC. We will replace the dummy TSC with the connecting <TRA. It doesn't matter what you put in there as long as the event is present and that something triggers it.

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:34 PM
Band
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"

Area Name: Inner Network
General Description: Core battle w/no weapons + Booster 0.8
Desired Enemy Set(s): Core
Desired Music(s): Oppression, Jenka 1

how did my tile set change to sand zone?

Oct 27, 2011 at 6:11 PM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"

Username: Hiino
Area Name*: Glitchy area, no name yet
General Description: Messed up maps that need the use of glitches (obviously) to be achieved. Mostly puzzles and labyrinths.
No. of maps: Let's say 3. I might lower it to 2, though.
Desired Health: around 30 HP.
Desired Tileset(s)*: Maze, River
Desired Enemy Set(s)*: Weed, Eggs1
Desired Music(s)*: Quiet, Run!, Huzzah!

Oct 27, 2011 at 8:27 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."

Username: Tpcool!
Area Name*: The Fall
General Description: You start falling and you have to not die. Whenever you reach a hazard you get a second to think before you try to avoid it.
Desired Health: Doesn't matter.
Desired Tileset(s)*: Cave
Desired Enemy Set(s)*: Red
Desired Music(s)*: Last Cave

Tell me if I did anything wrong.

Oct 27, 2011 at 9:36 PM
Been here way too long...

Hiino said:
Messed up maps that need the use of glitches (obviously) to be achieved.
Doesn't this violate
DoubleThink said:
Everything must be (at least visually) 'clean'. No messy mapping that jarrs the players' movements or makes them constantly get stuck in the ground.
Also in order to beat that level one would need to have a pretty comprehensive understanding of the glitches in cave story, something not all people will have.

On a completely unrelated note, will we be able to use Gamimimi (wind fortress) as our background org? If so, I have all the dibs on it.

Oct 27, 2011 at 10:00 PM
Band
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
andwhyisit said:
Just do something like:

<END

..or some other form of dummy TSC. We will replace the dummy TSC with the connecting <TRA. It doesn't matter what you put in there as long as the event is present and that something triggers it.

so we jut put #500 where we depart our area or enter