Character limit causes mass head asplode, news in two seconds

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Basically, the thread title. Ughhh.

There are not exactly a multitude of people who regularly make posts big enough to hit the character limit. But then there's me. And OH MY SWEET COOKIES it's annoying.

It's been plaguing me since forever. My thread is a mess right now because I constantly have to wait for people to post in order to squeeze my rambles inside. It even happened in the Booster's Lab thread!

Point is, I'm constantly hitting my head on the character limit ceiling. Am I just too verbally tall for my metaphorical age? My gosh.

Look, I'm not asking for the return of double posting or something like that, because I know how much of an annoyance that was. But could this be helped somehow? With like, I don't know, an increase in the limit, or a system of asking for admoderstrator clearance to break the cap/double post in the event of a breach? Or will I just be told to shut up and simplify my posts?

Only time will tell. Share your thoughts. Am I just being stupid, or is this an actual thing that could potentially be amended?

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I can't appear to locate a character limit, only a maximum post size limit in kb. What sort of notification have you been getting?

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Yeah, post size is what I'm talking about...

I don't get a notification or any sort of fanfare, the thing will simply cut off any characters past the limit if I post. If I choose preview, the preview box at the top will show the whole post as if nothing would be cut off, but the text box at the bottom reveals the truth.

I'm fairly certain this applies to everyone, however...

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:45 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Are you sure it's not getting cut off because you use '<' and the software things you're trying to inject HTML tags

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Professional Whatever
It wouldn't give any kind of message in that case, and the preview would be broken as well.

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:51 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Polaris said:
I don't get a notification or any sort of fanfare,
also it previews alright (unless you try to preview again after the edit box has been 'purged'), try it yourself. Quote my above post and hit preview, even.

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Professional Whatever
Polaris said:
but the text box at the bottom reveals the truth.
I've done it before, but maybe I forget the details, anyway.

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Noxid said:
Are you sure it's not getting cut off because you use '<' and the software things you're trying to inject HTML tags
Ugh...it DID get cut off because of that. But I wasn't trying to interject HTML, I just wrote "<ANP". The system could at least give some warning or something, a simple "this message could not be displayed because of the < symbol" would suffice. :(

And if I remember correctly, I've written that word many times before with no ill side effects.

MagicDoors said:
It wouldn't give any kind of message in that case, and the preview would be broken as well.
You're right about it not giving a message, but the preview WASN'T broken. :muscledoc:

Noxid said:
also it previews alright (unless you try to preview again after the edit box has been 'purged'), try it yourself. Quote my above post and hit preview, even.
I know full well that it previews alright, it's the actual text that's the problem.

Nevertheless, I tried it. It worked fine, of course...

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:03 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
It's probably something andwhy needs to fix that IPB broke in a new update

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Based Member
Fatih120 said:
Oh noes

Character limit

nuuuuuuuuu! :toroko2:
Don't worry, I'm pretty sure this won't affect you.

@Polaris
Out of curiosity, what's the longest post you've made? The longest I've made is 23,116 characters. Does this character limit only apply to replies to a thread? If not, then you also may find it noteworthy that the longest OP I've written is 30,025 characters. Did you by any chance measure the amount of characters your ineligible post had? If so, did it have more than either of the posts listed above?

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Well, I have no idea what my longest post is(I've had so many @_@), but the longest OP I've made is for "Nothing': An Adventure Beyond Reality" at 10,419 characters according to Writer.

Meanwhile, if I added the entire progress report to the post like I wanted in the first place, the whole shebang is 5,000 something characters. What's more, when I took out the < symbol, it worked.

Now I feel dumb for complaining about an imaginary size limit, but I really didn't know about the symbol thing. And like I said, those have worked in other threads. In fact, I now realize that the Booster's Lab break was because of a FAC. But when I added the second half of the post in another, FAC worked fine, same deal with ANP. And this post broke too! Why did they only break in those specific contexts?

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:37 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
the problem seems to be in moving the contents of your unfinished post to the editor after it's been previewed. It goes through the submitting process obviously, because it shows in the posts and the previews, but I think the editor is doing something to it.

Aug 14, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Hm.

Alright, let me try posting the entire Progress Report here, without going to Post Preview.

mahin: Progress Report β
5,000 worries in the making!
Okay. You know the drill by now:I have trouble getting started with these, so I'm just going to plunge in with star lists and see where it goes.

(Also, I just got a new keyboard called Kii which is basically Gingerbread+, which explains the fancy symbols. o(^◇^)o)

★ Just a small thing, but I added a facepic and slightly more elaborate text for Kazuma in the Outer Wall, mostly because I forgot to do it earlier. -.-
★I fixed a spelling mistake in the intro - specifically, "monolouge". I can't believe no one reported that!
★I applied the Infinite Mimiga Mask hack with little effort, which is courtesy of our friend Lace. ^_^
However, I don't think it counts as me learning Assembly, because applying someone else's hack isn't exactly difficult. I still need to learn more if I shall have my Loading screen.
★I still haven't added NPC butes to Sacred Grounds, but I did finish all of the altered voice dialogue, and if I remember correctly I'm about halfway finished with Ballos' speech. I was thinking that, during the fight, Ballos would have slightly less HP in his final form and getting killed at any point would simply cause the fight to stop, and Quote would reappear with Ballos noting his current, unexplained weakness. Oh, and Ballos will be super friendly and the fight will be completely optional. That too. ;)
★ I'm probably going to be adding a completely new weapon soon - the Dinner Blaster. I got the terrific idea of turning the regular, boring Missile Launcher into YTP's most amazing gun. I just have to apply the code that gives you super-big missiles from the Weapon Hax mod on the Missile Launcher, and then go find a crappy Cheeseburger sprite and plug it in! Simple!

The Dinner Blaster itself will have infinite ammo, and medium-high damage. If I can, I'd like to find a way to make sure the Blaster is always at Lv 2, but it's not that important.
★ When I conceived of the Dinner Blaster, I thought, "why should all of the other weapons be boring?" And the answer is no reason at all, kids. No reason at all. I decided to give a twist or a gimmick to each weapon.

The only problem is... I already had somewhat funny weapon descriptions for every weapon, and they haven't been used yet.

So there's a simple answer: The Shooting Range. I thought I could have "dispensers" of a sort at the entrance, with the weapon sprites above each one...or maybe I'll just have the sprites, who knows. But the point is, these could tell you the descriptions before asking if you want it. And when you said yes, you wouldn't get the weapon, but its hacked variant! For example...instead of the Blade, you'd find Divine Retribution. I find the idea quite interesting. :)
★I added Debug Cat and seizure-inducing variants of Quote in the MyChar, thanks to the Mimiga Mask hack. I'm planning on adding retro/Halloween quote later.
★I added in a new song! It's the beta version of Oppression. I kinda got addicted to the song after watching a Japanese video of a very impressive mod called Cave Story 2.

Anyway, surprisingly enough I added it in without a hitch. It will be used in the Shooting Range. :3
★I changed Misery's eyes from red to a pretty green. :)
★I also added to her conversation some more, finally ending it with a long, serious bit of exposition from Quote and Misery teleporting away.
★I made a facepic of Ballos with his good eye open. It's sufficiently good looking and creepy enough to my tastes, so I consider that a victory. ^_^
★ I've started on the bare-bones tileset and map for a church, as well as the bottom of the mountain at the end of Silent Bridge.
★I made a whole bunch of interesting variations of the BkMoon background. I hope I can find good places to put them in. ^_^
★I finished the dialogue and effects at the end of the cutscene in Null. I'm going to try and finish the <ANP stuff later on.
★I finished the description and effects of the Eversion Flower, Garish Gauntlet, and Beast Fang items, but I don't have pictures for them yet. Except for the Beast Fang, obviously. :p
★I replaced the standard circles seen beside item names with stars. Just for fun. :3
★I made Egg Corridor very dark, and I have plans for a certain Arthur's House leading to a very... interesting...event.
★Entering What Even with the Eversion Flower will prompt you to use it. If you do, you're taken to Darkness, and if you go down the corridor, you'll get to Light, and then the Shooting Range. I don't have all of the events done, of course, but the maps are there.
★Generally speaking, I've noticed that I have a tendency to scatter my progress around instead of working on and finishing one thing at a time. While that's fine and dandy, it makes preparing a demo a serious annoyance because of all of the loose ends I need to tie off. That's why I chose not to this time! Tie them off, I mean, not the scattering part.

Well, that's all. I hope you're at least a little interested in all of these things I'm doing, I know I'm quite excited. ^_^

It kind of surprises me how far I've come since I first started a few months ago. Maybe this is just a mini mod, or a practice mod...but I want to make it a really special one. :)

...yeah, it works now. Going to post preview causes the problem!