Cave Story Wii-Balanced

Dec 15, 2017 at 5:51 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Good stuff. After looking through some of the Wii MIDIs, I did notice that a lot of the songs did have extra bits that just weren't really audible. One of the prime examples was the climax of Running Hell, which of course originally sounded like it had no bass, but actually does come out quite well in your version. These versions of the songs don't have any drastic changes to them, but I would still go as far as to say they are the best versions to listen to. Good work :pignon:

I do have one comment though, also in regards to Running Hell. At around 0:59, it starts sounding a bit unnatural. This is most apparent with the toms that kick in a few seconds later, as they sound very compressed/distorted (almost like the song sounds too equalized at that point? If that makes any sense?). Even when it loops, you can hear the contrast between the end of the song and when it loops again. I hope it's not just me.

Dec 15, 2017 at 6:04 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thank you, I'm really glad you liked it! One other change I was really happy with is the final part of Meltdown 2, not only is the screeching toned down, but I was able to bring out a violin sound that was barely there before, and it really added to the rhythm and tone of the song.

At around 0:59, it starts sounding a bit unnatural. This is most apparent with the toms that kick in a few seconds later, as they sound very compressed/distorted (almost like the song sounds too equalized at that point? If that makes any sense?). Even when it loops, you can hear the contrast between the end of the song and when it loops again. I hope it's not just me.

Looking back at the Audacity project, I think I might know what caused it.

I edited the songs by splitting them into segments based on major changes in instruments, and then did minor splits for minor changes. I first equalize the song as a whole, and then change each segment to sound best, and then attempt to smooth it out. A side-effect of this is that you can occasionally hear a contrast between different parts of the song. I tried my best to mask these contrasts, but most of the time the segments sound better if I change them less rather than more.

After looking through some of the Wii MIDIs, I did notice that a lot of the songs did have extra bits that just weren't really audible.

Wait, you're saying you had access to midi files?? Is it possible for me to look at them too?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 6:17 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Wait, you're saying you had access to midi files?? Is it possible for me to look at them too?
Here is a link to the MIDIs and soundfont for Cave Story Wii. I had been trying to get my hands on them for a long time. Originally @andwhyisit was able to provide me with the ripped MIDIs, but not the soundfont. After contacting Morusque, however, he graciously provided me both his MIDIs and the soundfont. What a great guy :D

Dec 15, 2017 at 7:35 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Here is a link to the MIDIs and soundfont for Cave Story Wii. I had been trying to get my hands on them for a long time. Originally @andwhyisit was able to provide me with the ripped MIDIs, but not the soundfont. After contacting Morusque, however, he graciously provided me both his MIDIs and the soundfont. What a great guy :D

Amazing!! I wish I knew about this before I started this project, I guess it's time for me to spend another month working on this :D

Dec 15, 2017 at 8:03 PM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Sounds great! Minor differences sir make it sound a lot better.