1)
Fluff8836 - 0'57"4
2) X-Calibar - 0'58"5

List of Brave Souls Who Tried and Died
Espeon78
Tale_Zero

Miccs
SuperPip1234

Description: A timed challenge featuring a beta Jenka's Nightmare map (ZarroTsu ver.).

In the latest Jenka's Nightmare by ZarroTsu, in one of the early demos... there were a few challenge areas that ZarroTsu built upon earlier maps by Shmitz and possibly edited Doors. Unfortunately, due to various reasons these difficult maps were removed before the final release of Jenka's Nightmare. But, to me this map is a trip down memory lane! The thrill of beating these challenges stayed long after I forgot other areas.
And so...

After recently playing the Twinkle Toes Challenge by Fixer90 and craving more platforming mayhem, I remembered this map, and spoke to him about adding an extra challenge. Instead he whipped up graphics and used his mod to help me get this released!

It's a great weaponless vertical challenge. Can you dive through danger and return to tell the tale?
p203691-0-jn01.png

p203691-1-jn02.png

PS - Not a graphic glitch... just some bad dreams about a robot who thought they could take on this challenge...

p203691-2-jn03.png

The door is locked... for now...<

Or will...
p203691-3-jn03.png

Enjoy!

Jenka's Nightmare Challenge

Jenka's Nightmare Challenge (Jenka ver.)

Jenka's Nightmare Challenge (Puppy ver.)
(Original post recovered thanks to Fluff8836!!)

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2015 at 1:19 AM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
X-Calibar said:
In the original Jenka's Nightmare by Shmitz, there were a few secret maps that I remember fondly.

[...]

jn04.png
p203692-1-yagpxpd.png

User warned for this post (lack of content) - Andwhy

Jul 19, 2015 at 6:47 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Sometimes fondness is like seeing Hell after it's been a long time.
Awww... This place-
*You have died.*

...OH GOD!

btw, anyone planning on attempting this... Zarro?

Maybe I can throw a Steam key out there for the best time if they want one...? If someone takes a video beating my time of 1'23"4, you instantly win the challenge. :] Otherwise, I'll give it a week and pick the best time ignoring mine on next Sunday.

I have MURI, One way heroics, Unepic, Fairy Bloom Freesia, Ballpoint Universe, Bit trip runner 2, and To the Moon to choose from...
I'll give it a week, till the following Sunday to check the results~

Jul 19, 2015 at 2:33 PM
X-Calibar said:
Sometimes fondness is like seeing Hell after it's been a long time.
Awww... This place-
*You have died.*
That's not the point of my post.

That particular map isn't Shmitz's.

That room existed, technically, in the original yes; but neither Shmitz nor Magic Doors ever made a dark blue tileset for the Labyrinth. Nor did they make a vertical shaft filled with Eye-Blocks that filled with water after picking up a particular item at the bottom.

Jul 19, 2015 at 3:07 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
okay but even if it's not the same sprite for sprite it's still familiar to people who've played that part in jn

Jul 19, 2015 at 6:39 PM
Indie game enthusiast
That's not the point of my post.
I'm bad with stick.

That particular map isn't Shmitz's.

That room existed, technically, in the original yes; but neither Shmitz nor Magic Doors ever made a dark blue tileset for the Labyrinth. Nor did they make a vertical shaft filled with Eye-Blocks that filled with water after picking up a particular item at the bottom.
I guess I should have researched further. I only had one copy of JN. Last I heard, you had taken this out... and it included the Mirror Fragment which was Door's work; so I assumed Doors was the creator... until I found out it was originally Shmitz's...
But, technically it was Everyone's work!?

Well sorry. If you disapprove, I'll take it down next Sunday to at least honor the giveaway, in the event anyone attempted it already.

Jul 19, 2015 at 7:09 PM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
so this is really confusing and I'd like to clear it up given what knowledge I have of the various versions without the ability to actually look at them

this map, layout-wise, was afaik created by shmitz. I don't recall if it was ever playable but I do believe it was a part of the spur quest
JNR made this map playable; it included it in the spur quest; it was essentially the same otherwise iirc
JNBr reworked it slightly, making it part of the mirror quest rather than the spur quest (I think)
AJNR made the tileset, the water rising up (?) and maybe something else; I don't recall

the map really sorta came from everyone, but the use of zarrot's tileset is of particular significance
ultimately, it doesn't really matter from which version it came tho; either way it's still a perfectly good jenka's nightmare challenge

Jul 19, 2015 at 9:12 PM
duncathan said:
AJNR made the tileset, the water rising up (?) and maybe something else; I don't recall
The map looked like this in JNR and earlier (I think?):

p203698-0-cytfgvh.png

The Mirror Frags hung around in demos of AJNR because I had some weird bonus area plans for them, but didn't follow-through because there wasn't a suitable reward to give for doing them (and I had like 2 maps left out of the 127 available). But yeah, the Wind Tunnel, Labyrinth L (short for 'Loki'), and the neat Ballos/Misery hallucination fight, were all unique to demos in AJNR.

I think an award I was planning on for them was an auto-revive item similar to Cave Story Redesign, but I wasn't aware that it required ASM to let you regain control/a visual indicator of Quote after he dies (his death is an animation outside the scope of TSC).

Maybe I should've left them in and put dorky little Medals in place of the Mirror Frags at the end of each of them, idk. Still a matter of 'not enough maps' though.

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:28 AM
Professional Whatever
Oh huh I guess this map and the one from jn weren't the same, I hadn't seen the original in a while so I just assumed they were
My bad

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:28 PM
Indie game enthusiast
The first post and mod was corrected to properly credit ZarroTsu for making this beta Jenka's Nightmare map and the recolor.
The map was used without permission due to an unfortunate misunderstanding, but hell, it's still a great challenge. I'll remove it if requested, but until then... challenge yourself!

I've extended the contest one extra week, JUST IN CASE *anyone* attempts it.
Will post a spoiler video later to show it can be done.

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVW_XvLjlQ0

Jul 29, 2015 at 7:08 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Made 13 attempts yesterday, never made it to the end yet.

Took the 13th attempt and put some shitty music to it.

; _ ;

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:28 PM
Indie game enthusiast
@tale
...can't stop thi-!

"Noooooo!" - my reaction
Nice attempt Tale_Zero... ...that puts you in first. :]
If no one can get further you winnn

Jul 29, 2015 at 10:13 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Wow this challenge is harder than I expected...

Well here the furthest I made it after lots of attempts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gq7gG8E0Mk&feature=youtu.be

Sorry about the bad video quality, my computer is terrible.

Jul 29, 2015 at 10:16 PM
Here's the funny thing:

By all accounts, in the original version of the map, you could go here without the Air Tank.

Jul 31, 2015 at 1:13 AM
Indie game enthusiast
Was there a H/V trigger or a wait to give you a fighting chance? I love the idea of fighting the rising tide though.

@Espeon78 - I didn't think you could do some of those moves without being crushed! Nice. You're in the lead!

Jul 31, 2015 at 4:28 AM
Professional Whatever
Pretty sure the water wasn't a thing in the original to begin with

Aug 2, 2015 at 3:33 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Final day! One last chance to beat Espeon78's attempt...

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:51 AM
Doors said:
Pretty sure the water wasn't a thing in the original to begin with
It was.

I'm a sadist. :)

Why's this challenge on a time limit, anyway?

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:25 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Only because in my second post I said I would give away a Steam game to try to encourage competition :]
Since I don't want to go back on my word, even if NO ONE made it to the end... :p

Espeon78 made it the furthest! So if you want one of the following Steam games:
MURI, One way heroics, Unepic, Fairy Bloom Freesia, Ballpoint Universe, Bit Trip Runner 2, or To the Moon

Just message me Espeon with your choice, if you want one and I'll send the gift link.

The challenge can live on though! No one's actually beaten it after all...
I'll update the first post with scores of the brave challengers.

EDIT: @Zarro - Do you still have a copy of the original? I tried removing the airtank on this version and there's no way... Or was it just a death trap :o

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:20 AM
X-Calibar said:
EDIT: @Zarro - Do you still have a copy of the original? I tried removing the airtank on this version and there's no way... Or was it just a death trap :o
The item you'd get to go to this room was dropped by Monster X. All you really had to do was kill X and double-back to the room without the air tank, or just skip the air tank and kill Gen or Obl and then use the tele after the back-to-town cutscene. Curly would only force the Air Tank into your inventory if you entered the Town Hall immediately after the Labyrinth.

It's a shame this forum (and/or care for the mod) is as low-key as it is. I'd like to have reveled in at least one person's reaction to getting the chest only to drown afterward.