Cave Story skin for Osu! v0.8

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Creator: IdioticBaka1824 (known as botherhiyori on the osu! site)
Type: A Cave Story-related thing for an unrelated game.
Features: A bunch of png files to customize Osu!
Blurb/Summary: This is basically an Osu! skin based on Cave Story. I know there's already one around, but I don't really like that one and I wanted to make one myself. So I though I'd share it with everyone. It's not complete yet, and ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Links:
Here is v0.5 (old)
Here is v0.6. (old)
Here is v0.8 (new)

Screenshots:
Here.Here.
Here.Here.
Here.Here.

I polished off a few stuff. I might have to touch up the ranking panel a bit. Sorry for being so lazy. All that's left is Taiko, Osu!Mania, hitsounds, and a few more random/miscellaneous things. I'm running dry of ideas, any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Another important thing is that I left some extra options to customize within the skin itself, so if you want, look through the folder and do a bit of moving/renaming. For example, there are three different hitcircles to choose from: 'hitcircle.png', 'hitcircle2.png', 'hitcircle3.png'. If you wanted to use the second, move 'hitcircle.png' into the included folder 'unused' and rename 'hitcircle2.png' to 'hitcircle.png'. There are other things as well to customize.

Thank You!

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
No screenshots...

Well ain't no veteran but you should really use screenshots so we can take a taste of quality...

Also a tutorial how to use this, i honestly find it a little not-so-original because its just a lot of Cave Story sprites with numbers and letters around.

Oct 31, 2013 at 1:38 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Almost nothing looks refined. I will admit that it is interesting art for the combo milestones and the sound is a nice touch albeit annoying, however all you did in this skin is stuff a bunch of cave story sprites and references in to make it look cave story-ish. To be frank, it looks ugly and hard on the eyes. That resized-sprite-crosshair is annoying to deal with, not to mention the numbers that show up with a solid background which makes it hard to tell if you're getting a low score or high score. The fail meter doesn't look too bad but it could be better.

As a whole I would not choose to use this skin, as I have other more dedicated skins that don't make me want to kill myself by using.

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Mr.OmegaCopyX, what do you mean by tutorial? How to install the skin? There's a thread for that here. Sorry if this isn't what you were looking for.

Mr.MagicDoors, of course this is just some sprites with letters/numbers. I just wanted to make Osu! look as Cave Story-ish as possible, so I tried to incorporate lots of sprites. The approac circle, if that's what you are talking about, actually makes it easier for me. If you don't like it, there's an alternate file for the approach circle in the skin folder. And I don't think it's ugly, it works fine for me. What else should I have done? I'm not good at ideas. And which thing are you talking about with a solid background? And would you mind telling me how to fix up the fail meter?

Sorry about no screenshots, but I didn't want spoilers.

If it really is very very very bad, then could you tell me a way to delete this thread?

Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

Nov 1, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Post deletion on this forum is a staff-only affair. Do you intend to continue with this?

Nov 2, 2013 at 5:49 AM
I'd like to continue for some more feedback, but if everyone really hates it that much, then delete it. It won't be good for this site to have too much clutter, right?

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:06 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
this site is practically /built/ out of clutter

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:13 AM
No, it isn't. This site is about the glorious Cave Story, and I would not want it to be cluttered with my useless threads. So I want to wait to see whether it really is useless or not.
But if you really think this site is built out of clutter, then clutter is the norm, and it can't really be called clutter anymore, right?

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:47 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
that's a question I ask myself every single day

Nov 2, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Professional Whatever
If you plan on making this site organized you're going to have one hell of a time

It's not like I hate the thing by the way, it's just not very polished so I wouldn't use it as it is right now
(@the skin & the cstsf)

Nov 2, 2013 at 3:00 PM
I'm not planning to make the site organized, I'm not one of the staff members.
Anyways, I hope to get more feedback soon...

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Aren't we getting a bit sidetracked?

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Discussion flows from topic to topic. If this were extremely irrelevant, I'd understand, but seeing as how we're discussing the thread itself it's perfectly on topic and there's no reason to cease.

Nov 2, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Okay. Sorry

Nov 3, 2013 at 3:18 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
IdioticBaka1824 said:
Okay. Sorry
This kind of post will stop a discussion dead in it's tracks.

Not that it's you fault, but it just does.

Anything that you put time and effort into (no matter how bad, or unprofessional) is worth posting.

And before someone points out any fatal flaws with what I said, think about it for a minute.

Nov 28, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Okay, I've updated my first post in this thread and I've given a link to version 0.6 of my CaveStory Osu! skin, with three screenshots. From now on, all updates will be in the said first post.
It doesn't seem like there are many Cave Story players who also play Osu!.

29/11/2013
New update! Version 0.8 done. Ideas for the Flashlight-mod selection picture would be appreciated.
See first post for download, details.

14/1/2014
I'm sorry, but for a silly but unavoidable reason, I've practically stopped progress on this. I might get back to it later on, but it will take a while.