"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I am about to test it.

May 29, 2013 at 3:09 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Well... that was interesting. Let me begin:
-The text box isn't fully colored in. There are black specks that are fairly noticable.
-The foreground textures seem needlessly changed. I actually kind of like the green-line foreground blocks, but they look out of place in the First Cave.
-The dialogue, while changed, is still too much of the same for me.
-I saw a misplaced foreground object near the Hermit Gunsmith's door.
-Quote's facepic... just oh my god.

So that's about it. I can't get past the First Cave... I'm going to assume you're not supposed to. The two things I like about the game: the green foreground blocks and the dialogue (Quote's facepic compliments the dialogue).

May 29, 2013 at 3:24 AM
I got through it.
Press down on the shootable block.
It will dissapear.

I can not get a certain clue in the game.

Attachments

• RRRRAHUKJHKJD.jpg
    RRRRAHUKJHKJD.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 38
May 29, 2013 at 3:41 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I decided to give it a try for the heck of it, and here's what I have:

Glitches:

-The first face picture is not completely one solid color.
- I can't get out of the first cave. I tried looking for a path near the shootable blocks as Kazuma told me, but I couldn't find anything. I even looked at the map in Cave Editor and there id not appear to be any path I could get through without a gun. So I modified the map and gave myself a path through in order to progress. EDIT: Fadoink ninja'd me. Interesting what you did there. Perhaps it would be good to put a sparkly item there in order to make it more obvious.
- In the conversation between Quote and King, the "Really?" "Yes." happens without a <NOD or clearing. This also happens at "Anywhere where I can get it back?" "Nope.". And also "already been used" "By who?"
- When I arrive at the Mimiga village, there is no NPC interaction with Jack. It appears that his event is instead triggered when I try to enter the graveyard. And given that, I can't enter the graveyard. I had to hack the game to get there.
- And during your conversation with him, there's some text that goes off-screen.
- The text for Toroko's grave is kindof messed up. I can't read it because it goes too fast.
- And, the door in the graveyard doesn't work, and that's the most I'm willing to hack this copy in order to progress, so I'll let you fix these things first before I think about continuing.

Comments/concerns:

- You appear to be trying to convey cracked rocks in the first cave. It doesn't look absolutely awful, but it doesn't look spectacular.
- There is a lot of room for improvement on Quote's face picture.

The story hasn't unfolded much for me, so there's not much I can say. The mod is very repetitive in terms of starting out the way Cave Story does. One thing you should put more emphasis on is testing this, so that big glitches don't sneak through. That way you'll know if the player gets stuck at certain points and is unable to progress. Either that, or make it more obvious what the player is supposed to do, if it was actually my inability to see what I was supposed to do that made me hack the game.

May 29, 2013 at 3:42 AM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
oh my god

This mod fucks with every aspect that is wrong with me.
TPcool was right about the facepic, just... why, god.
The specks in the message box fuck with me so much it went to the point where I just couldn't play it.
Thats not exactly your fault though I have massive problems.
Some of the sprite work for the wierd virtual land shit is screwed up in a few places.
The rest of the problems were my fault because I had to use wine and wine isn't exactly perfect.
This mod has potential though, keep working on it and it might turn out quite good.
NEVAH GIVE UP BRO

May 29, 2013 at 6:55 AM
Same as the others, but I found my way out myself. First of all, WHY THE HECK ARE KING AND TOROKO STILL ALLLIIIIVVVEEE?!?! and how could quote remember losing his memory =AGAIN= if he just lost it now? same issues as the others. Keep working though! I believe in you! :D

May 29, 2013 at 11:08 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
HaydenStudios said:
I decided to give it a try for the heck of it, and here's what I have:

Glitches:

-The first face picture is not completely one solid color.
- I can't get out of the first cave. I tried looking for a path near the shootable blocks as Kazuma told me, but I couldn't find anything. I even looked at the map in Cave Editor and there id not appear to be any path I could get through without a gun. So I modified the map and gave myself a path through in order to progress. EDIT: Fadoink ninja'd me. Interesting what you did there. Perhaps it would be good to put a sparkly item there in order to make it more obvious.
- In the conversation between Quote and King, the "Really?" "Yes." happens without a <NOD or clearing. This also happens at "Anywhere where I can get it back?" "Nope.". And also "already been used" "By who?"
- When I arrive at the Mimiga village, there is no NPC interaction with Jack. It appears that his event is instead triggered when I try to enter the graveyard. And given that, I can't enter the graveyard. I had to hack the game to get there.
- And during your conversation with him, there's some text that goes off-screen.
- The text for Toroko's grave is kindof messed up. I can't read it because it goes too fast.
- And, the door in the graveyard doesn't work, and that's the most I'm willing to hack this copy in order to progress, so I'll let you fix these things first before I think about continuing.

Comments/concerns:

- You appear to be trying to convey cracked rocks in the first cave. It doesn't look absolutely awful, but it doesn't look spectacular.
- There is a lot of room for improvement on Quote's face picture.

The story hasn't unfolded much for me, so there's not much I can say. The mod is very repetitive in terms of starting out the way Cave Story does. One thing you should put more emphasis on is testing this, so that big glitches don't sneak through. That way you'll know if the player gets stuck at certain points and is unable to progress. Either that, or make it more obvious what the player is supposed to do, if it was actually my inability to see what I was supposed to do that made me hack the game.

Ah, so I really need to work on this. You got past Mimiga Village right? 'Cause that's (so far) the only Part of the mod that's (a little too) much like the original. Besides, you've seen the screenshots in the ideas/development version of this post right? Because I KNOW I had a screenshot of the Egg Corridor. As for the Graveyard, the Gaveyard is a TOTALLY unnecessary place to visit. Also, this is kinda a hint when I ask: why do you think I let you get the Polar Star right after you get the first clue? If you compare the screenshot uploaded on this thread and the screenshot of the same area that I uploaded, they're obviously diferent. Have you at least TRIED to shoot at the spot where on my screenshot there was an enterance to a pathway leading to the sparkling object? 'Cause It's clear You never got to the second clue. I didn't know about the Toroko's grave error. Sorry about that. I'll get the error with the face box. I guess I should do something to make it more obvious what the player is supposed to do. And yea, I'll work on Quote's face picture. I KNOW you didn't get past Mimiga village because there isn't ONE glitch listed about any part AFTER Mimiga Village. At least I expected some glitches after that point. I will start working with the glitches soon, and I will make things a bit more obvious.

EDIT: Or it might somewhat be your inability to see what you were supposed to do.

Pyroaid said:
Same as the others, but I found my way out myself. First of all, WHY THE HECK ARE KING AND TOROKO STILL ALLLIIIIVVVEEE?!?! and how could quote remember losing his memory =AGAIN= if he just lost it now? same issues as the others. Keep working though! I believe in you! :D

HUGE
King andToroko are allusions of Ballos.

Thanks!

This time his Amnesia isn't so bad. That and Kazuma tells him (I think).

CookedChef said:
This mod fucks with every aspect that is wrong with me.

Wait. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? :confused:

May 30, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Based Member
A Gamer said:
Ah, so I really need to work on this.
Indeed.

A Gamer said:
You got past Mimiga Village right?
No, not yet. I'm still stuck there because I don't know how to get to the sparkly item. I'm having the same problem fadoink is having with being blocked. Although for me there isn't any sparkly item there at all.

A Gamer said:
'Cause that's (so far) the only Part of the mod that's (a little too) much like the original.
Noted.

A Gamer said:
Besides, you've seen the screenshots in the ideas/development version of this post right? Because I KNOW I had a screenshot of the Egg Corridor.
Yes, I've seen those. I also figured that wasn't the end given that you included a save file in the download that had me in some area like the core room.

A Gamer said:
As for the Graveyard, the Gaveyard is a TOTALLY unnecessary place to visit. Also, this is kinda a hint when I ask: why do you think I let you get the Polar Star right after you get the first clue? If you compare the screenshot uploaded on this thread and the screenshot of the same area that I uploaded, they're obviously diferent. Have you at least TRIED to shoot at the spot where on my screenshot there was an enterance to a pathway leading to the sparkling object? 'Cause It's clear You never got to the second clue.
I haven't found any clues, and I don't have a gun.

A Gamer said:
I guess I should do something to make it more obvious what the player is supposed to do.
That would be good.

A Gamer said:
I KNOW you didn't get past Mimiga village because there isn't ONE glitch listed about any part AFTER Mimiga Village.
You are correct.

A Gamer said:
I will start working with the glitches soon, and I will make things a bit more obvious.
Sounds good.

EDIT: Oh, actually, I just got the first clue. My main complaint there would be that it wasn't so much not obvious, as
that it wasn't obvious at first that it's possible to get to the resovior. After that, the hints are fine (aside from needing to shoot where you need to), it's just that I didn't realize until just recently that it's possible to reach there.

So I looked under the sprinkler like the clue said, and nothing...

May 30, 2013 at 1:13 AM
HaydenStudios said:
So I looked under the sprinkler like the clue said, and nothing...
Did you try shooting?

EDIT: And you didn't even realize you could even GET to the resorvoir? Man, now it's MY turn to be astounded. :eek:

May 30, 2013 at 2:14 AM
Based Member
A Gamer said:
Did you try shooting?
Ah, I see. Personally, I don't think you should put such an emphasis on shooting in blended areas to reveal stuff if it's just for progressing through the game and not finding secret stuff. This this has been a problem before in even well-known mods. Also, after I got the clue beneath the sprinkler, the clue in my inventory was still telling me to look under the sprinkler. In fact, I can get the clue beneath the sprinkler every time I reload the map.

A Gamer said:
And you didn't even realize you could even GET to the resorvoir? Man, now it's MY turn to be astounded. :eek:
Sorry, I guess I wasn't dedicated enough with this mod to look hard for a path to it. The unfitting blue outlines don't really help.

May 30, 2013 at 2:22 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I'll try it as soon as my mod's posted

May 30, 2013 at 1:41 PM

And when are you posting your mod?

EDIT: Oh, now i've resolved most of the glitches. The only one that I can't right now is a portion of the conversation with King. I got every nessessary <NOD<CLR, but it still happenes sometimes and I have no idea why. :(

EDIT EDIT: Here's the version with resolved Mimiga Village glitches.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wrikdykkevdxcjs/CSROB_v0.31.zip

Now I'll most likely see (at least some) glitches after Mimiga Village.

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
'Kay, so I've taken the liberty of playing through your mod...

I was pleasantly surprised! This was a lot better than I thought it would be. Still some issues, but it's generally pretty good so far.

Here's some things I noticed while I played.

★I kinda like the graphical changes, oddly enough. Quote's facepic notwithstanding, the odd lines and general disheveled state everything's in gives your mod an interesting atmosphere. I like it! :D

There IS a little white line above the door graphic that probably isn't supposed to be there, though. If the door outline is cracked, maybe the door should be, too? Actually, I just realized the random line is part of the cracked outline. You should probably move that down a bit.

★It's obvious something terrible happened in First Cave, with everything being so cracked. I wonder what?

★"(Y)ea(h), but who are you?"

★Quote probably shouldn't know the name of the cave...

★"You know (t)hat!"

★"(Y)es."

★"(Y)ep."

★"...a mushroom in Mimiga (V)illage..."

★Try adding a <NOD right before the "Nope" spoken by King. I know you already said you tried, but...

★Now where's Toroko?(Remove this period->.)

★That Chinfish is scary...

★I have to wonder how that Clue didn't become unreadable from water damage, but it's not too important.

★I like how the Polar Star is a light gray, and the icon is olive instead of green. It adds a little to the general feeling of decay, which is good.

★You can still shoot the environment after it's been destroyed. This goes for pretty much all of your destroyable tiles.

★Similiarly, most of the items can be grabbed again. I think you're forgetting to delete the entity, as well as <CNP it into an entity 0.

★Like Hayden said, the clue you get in Yamashita Farm still says to check below the sprinkler. Because of that, I pretty much had to guess to find out that the Shack block was shootable.

★Sandaime's text is a little repetitive...

★The damage numbers do a weird shaking thingy. Was this intentional?

★The Shack is kind of a twist I wasn't expecting. At first I thought Balrog had good intentions, but...well. My, Quote's a little gullible, isn't he?

★You should probably make a different map for The Doctor's proposal. It's still called Studio Pixel Presents, and the ground looks a little odd here. At least the bubbles aren't there, though.

★Kind of odd for him to refer to himself as The Doctor, don't you think?

★I like the dark background in Egg Corridor. It provides a nice effect.

★The sudden music changes are a little disorienting. It's a nice effect, but you might want to recheck your H/V triggers to make sure it all makes sense.

★Igor doesn't go anywhere because of the walls, so maybe you should have him teleport out or...something?

★Cthulhu's second line is unchanged, so it doesn't make much sense in context.

★I noticed a rather bizzare glitch. After killing an enemy, you can shoot the area it used to inhabit. It's like, you shoot a critter with a level 3 Polar Star, right? Puff of smoke, crystals fly out as usual. But if you shoot again, you'll hit the tile where the critter was. Puff of smoke again, no crystals. It's no longer shootable.

I have no idea what could cause it. O_o

★If you accidentally fall into the battery acid rather than pick up the Booster 0.8, there's no way out and you die a cheap death. Perhaps it's a better idea to simply give a way to jump out via a block, and not include the Booster at all? It's never needed besides this one section.

★The fight with Igor was...what.

I think it can best be described as "WTF". In a good way, though. :)

★However, if there's a block falling down when you kill him, it will still hurt you afterwards, which is kind of a Kaizo trap.

★There's a space in "...take you the the docto r!" which shouldn't exist.

★Wait WHAT WHY AM I SUDDENLY ON THE MOON

★The Moon is pretty cool, but there's no indication or hint whatsoever of what you're supposed to do. I merely got lucky by shooting the right block. You should really make it less of a guessing game.

★The maze was pretty awesome, so nice job on that.

★What is that red thing inside Nothing? I can't interact with it. :<

★Also, starting in Nothing there's this really tedious bug. For some reason, the camera scrolls ridiculously slowly. I'm not sure what you did, but it persists in Balcony, too, so I haven't gone past it.

★Also, you should probably keep the Machine Gun red. It'd also be nice if you could take the inventory away, since you play as someone else.

That's all for now. Nice job so far!

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Polaris said:
'Kay, so I've taken the liberty of playing through your mod...

I was pleasantly surprised! This was a lot better than I thought it would be. Still some issues, but it's generally pretty good so far.

Here's some things I noticed while I played.

★I kinda like the graphical changes, oddly enough. Quote's facepic notwithstanding, the odd lines and general disheveled state everything's in gives your mod an interesting atmosphere. I like it! :D

There IS a little white line above the door graphic that probably isn't supposed to be there, though. If the door outline is cracked, maybe the door should be, too? Actually, I just realized the random line is part of the cracked outline. You should probably move that down a bit.

★It's obvious something terrible happened in First Cave, with everything being so cracked. I wonder what?

★"(Y)ea(h), but who are you?"

★Quote probably shouldn't know the name of the cave...

★"You know (t)hat!"

★"(Y)es."

★"(Y)ep."

★"...a mushroom in Mimiga (V)illage..."

★Try adding a <NOD right before the "Nope" spoken by King. I know you already said you tried, but...

★Now where's Toroko?(Remove this period->.)

★That Chinfish is scary...

★I have to wonder how that Clue didn't become unreadable from water damage, but it's not too important.

★I like how the Polar Star is a light gray, and the icon is olive instead of green. It adds a little to the general feeling of decay, which is good.

★You can still shoot the environment after it's been destroyed. This goes for pretty much all of your destroyable tiles.

★Similiarly, most of the items can be grabbed again. I think you're forgetting to delete the entity, as well as <CNP it into an entity 0.

★Like Hayden said, the clue you get in Yamashita Farm still says to check below the sprinkler. Because of that, I pretty much had to guess to find out that the Shack block was shootable.

★Sandaime's text is a little repetitive...

★The damage numbers do a weird shaking thingy. Was this intentional?

★The Shack is kind of a twist I wasn't expecting. At first I thought Balrog had good intentions, but...well. My, Quote's a little gullible, isn't he?

★You should probably make a different map for The Doctor's proposal. It's still called Studio Pixel Presents, and the ground looks a little odd here. At least the bubbles aren't there, though.

★Kind of odd for him to refer to himself as The Doctor, don't you think?

★I like the dark background in Egg Corridor. It provides a nice effect.

★The sudden music changes are a little disorienting. It's a nice effect, but you might want to recheck your H/V triggers to make sure it all makes sense.

★Igor doesn't go anywhere because of the walls, so maybe you should have him teleport out or...something?

★Cthulhu's second line is unchanged, so it doesn't make much sense in context.

★I noticed a rather bizzare glitch. After killing an enemy, you can shoot the area it used to inhabit. It's like, you shoot a critter with a level 3 Polar Star, right? Puff of smoke, crystals fly out as usual. But if you shoot again, you'll hit the tile where the critter was. Puff of smoke again, no crystals. It's no longer shootable.

I have no idea what could cause it. O_o

★If you accidentally fall into the battery acid rather than pick up the Booster 0.8, there's no way out and you die a cheap death. Perhaps it's a better idea to simply give a way to jump out via a block, and not include the Booster at all? It's never needed besides this one section.

★The fight with Igor was...what.

I think it can best be described as "WTF". In a good way, though. :)

★However, if there's a block falling down when you kill him, it will still hurt you afterwards, which is kind of a Kaizo trap.

★There's a space in "...take you the the docto r!" which shouldn't exist.

★Wait WHAT WHY AM I SUDDENLY ON THE MOON

★The Moon is pretty cool, but there's no indication or hint whatsoever of what you're supposed to do. I merely got lucky by shooting the right block. You should really make it less of a guessing game.

★The maze was pretty awesome, so nice job on that.

★What is that red thing inside Nothing? I can't interact with it. :<

★Also, starting in Nothing there's this really tedious bug. For some reason, the camera scrolls ridiculously slowly. I'm not sure what you did, but it persists in Balcony, too, so I haven't gone past it.

★Also, you should probably keep the Machine Gun red. It'd also be nice if you could take the inventory away, since you play as someone else.

That's all for now. Nice job so far!

Thanks. The shaky damadge numbers and the fact that you can still shoot any entity after its death was 100% unintensional. Yes I made it easier to find thiss stuff. Wait- I thought the battery acid was water, but got colored red due to color change when Pixel was making the graphics or something. The red thing inside nowhere is kinda like a time machine. I made it so you can't interact with it because in my next demo the time machine will be used to progress to the next area. I will remove the inventory in the dream. I didn't even think of that. :l

I did notice the odd slow scrolling in Nowhere and the Balcony. I have no Idea what caused that, but saving it with CE cleared that glitch. I didn't think that the glitch would go to the download because I never experienced the glitch again. I am not 100% sure I can fix the Kaizo trap glitch, 1 being the event would have to bypass an <END OR go right to the formal event, 2 being I subintentionally wanted that to happen. And in case you hadn't noticed, Mimiga Village was cracked the same way that the First Cave was. I will change the block inn the Egg Corridor so you don't risk dying a cheap death in battery acid. I will resolve these by the time I releast my next demo (most likely v0.6 which might take a while). And I DID try adding a <NOD before the "nope spoken by king. If you need proof, just hack the game and check for yourself. Besides, you'd have to do that anyway to fix the akward scrolling past Nowhere. The environment glitch and the npc glitch where you can still shoot them after death is actually the same because destroyable environment (besides the odd purple tiles) is done with a "nothing" that is made to be shootable using an npc.tbl editor.

EDIT: OMG I CAN'T BELEVE IT I DIDN'T ADD A <NOD BEFORE THE "Nope"!

Jul 2, 2013 at 1:48 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Learn to draw better, Please.

Bug: Jack's sprite is broken, It's at the other side of the sign.

Jul 2, 2013 at 1:48 AM
Professional Whatever
Learn to not be an asshole, please.

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:00 PM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I couldn't play this mod
I stopped after I saw First Cave then I was all like
"I can't play this, it needs... better-er-ing.."

Sorry, but you need to work on almost the entire thing.

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I would recommend at least playing through it once, actually. The mod is a bit better than it looks.