Cave Story Mac Save File Transfer

Aug 26, 2012 at 5:45 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've been playing Cave Story, and in my save I've gotten to the Outer Wall, but I realized I didn't properly save Curly and drain her. I don't really want to play through the entire game again, so I've gotten a save file that is nearby the core room battle with the machine gun. Problem is though, is that it is a Window's save and doesn't really work on the Mac I'm playing on. I'm a bit of a noob with computers, so I can't really figure out how to use the Python save converter. If anyone knows how to get a save file working on Mac, or knows how to use the converter, please tell me.

Aug 26, 2012 at 6:03 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Because Celtic Minstrel is very generous and wants all his users to learn Python, it turns out the Python Save Converter doesn't actually convert anything.

To fix this, put the following code at the end of csc_convert.py (edit it with IDLE or something):
Code:
convert("Profile.dat", "MacFile.dat")

And double click csc_convert.py to run it.

Aug 26, 2012 at 8:29 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I added it onto the end of csc_convert.py. I assume I need to rename the save file to Profile.dat for it to actually find the file, so I did, and it looks like it did, but when I place it into the preferences and rename it to com.nakiwo.Doukutu.plist and when I run the game it starts me off at the beginning of the game. Am I missing something big here?

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:07 PM
Not anymore
Are you sure you did this?

Code:
convert("Profile.dat", "com.nakiwo.Doukutu.plist")

Also, don't save back to the same file Profile.dat or that could cause issues.

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I copy pasted it in. I've put it after "Print "--> Profile converted."" and I know it's running the line itself because if there is no Profile.dat, it gives me an error saying it cannot find a file name Profile.dat. I'm just gonna go out on a limb at assume that is not the correct place to put it.

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Not anymore
It's not the right place to put it? Did you get it working or not?

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
No, but after digging through the file, I did find this

def convert(source, dest):
orig = Profile.dat(Profile.dat,'rb')
new = com.nakiwo.Doukutsu.plist(com.nakiwo.Doukutsu.plist,'wb')
def copy(n):
new.write(orig.read(n))
def swap(n):

Which I'm assuming is for the actual converting
And I copy pasted the convert(Profile.dat, com.nakiwo,Doukutsu,plist) right below this

orig.close()
new.close()
print "--> Profile converted."

And Profile.dat is in the folder with all the files itself.

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:45 AM
Not anymore
Here is a Mac save file attached to this post. It's right before the core with 41 life and the machinegun.

Please remember that in Python, quotes are significant. Also you put commas in your plist and spelled Doukutsu wrong in the first post. Not sure what's up with that.

Note: rename the file so that it doesn't have .txt at the end. IPBoard sucks so they don't let me upload plists.

Attachments

• com.nakiwo.Doukutsu.plist.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 13
Aug 28, 2012 at 3:49 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oh, I was manually typing out the plist file name so I think I messed it up a bit. Thanks for the file though, I don't think I would be able to get Python working <_<

Aug 28, 2012 at 5:44 AM
Not anymore
Well python hates everyone except people who put up with its comma-laden 1 elem tuples and colons.

May 25, 2014 at 11:25 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Carrotlord said:
Because Celtic Minstrel is very generous and wants all his users to learn Python, it turns out the Python Save Converter doesn't actually convert anything.

To fix this, put the following code at the end of csc_convert.py (edit it with IDLE or something):

convert("Profile.dat", "MacFile.dat")
And double click csc_convert.py to run it.
Okay, I'm having the same problem as zeroxgen. I succesfully convert the file (or so does the program say), I correctly rename it to

com.nakiwo.Doukutsu.plist

and I overwrite the file in the appropriate place. But when I start cave story and I try to load, it starts at the beginning.

The file I want is this one: http://www.cavestory.org/saves/03-003.zip which is right before the secret dungeon, with the Nemesis.

Could anybody convert it for me? Thanks!