Cave Story (linux) refusing to run.

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:09 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've been running crouton (for Chromebook) with no previous audio issues. ALSA is forwarding all audio traffic to CRAS which is the default ChromeOS audio server. Each time I attempt to execute Cave Story, it refuses to run. It dumps:

ALSA lib conf.c:3314:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
Couldn't open audio device!
Wrong device format. Mixer is broken!
doukutsu.bin: malloc.c:3830: _int_malloc: Assertion `(unsigned long)(size) >= (unsigned long)(nb)' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)

and crashes XFCE4. Any help/advice as to how I could go about fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated.

-KeckSeck

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:07 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Do you have WINE installed on your computer (sudo apt-get install wine)?
If you don't, install it and mark Dokutsu.exe as executable (right click on the file and go to properties.) It should work then.

I use Linux Mint 17, so it might not be the same as ChromeOS. If you can't get WINE through APT/Aptitude/Yum/Pacman/whatever go to https://www.winehq.org/ . If it doesn't work then tell me what error message(s) you get when you try to run Cave Story.

Nov 30, 2014 at 8:58 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Interesting. Looks like you're missing a part of your ALSA system (a quick check later) Try getting libasound2-plugins,I think the Pulseaudio plugin is missing.
(EDIT:I should proofread these in future.Fixed typo,added 'a quick check later')
(EDIT2: Ah-you haven't told me which distro. You've told me the chroot script,but not the distro. Luckily,it should be the same package name across both distros.I've changed the package name above to what I think should be the correct one for both Debian and Ubuntu.)

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:10 AM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
KeckSeck said:
I've been running crouton (for Chromebook) with no previous audio issues. ALSA is forwarding all audio traffic to CRAS which is the default ChromeOS audio server. Each time I attempt to execute Cave Story, it refuses to run. It dumps:

ALSA lib conf.c:3314:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
Couldn't open audio device!
Wrong device format. Mixer is broken!
doukutsu.bin: malloc.c:3830: _int_malloc: Assertion `(unsigned long)(size) >= (unsigned long)(nb)' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)

and crashes XFCE4. Any help/advice as to how I could go about fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated.

-KeckSeck
Actually on my chromebook i had similar issues. Try running it through Wine maybe (if CS is compatible with it, idk)?
Pummelator said:
If you don't, install it and mark Dokutsu.exe as executable (right click on the file and go to properties.) It should work then.

I use Linux Mint 17, so it might not be the same as ChromeOS. If you can't get WINE through APT/Aptitude/Yum/Pacman/whatever go to https://www.winehq.org/ . If it doesn't work then tell me what error message(s) you get when you try to run Cave Story.
Also, what crouton does is allow Ubuntu to run alongside chrome OS. Chrome OS is just a glorified internet browser (based on linux, but does not run linux programs.)

please dont kill me noxid i forgot to multiquote!

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:54 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Pummelator said:

Removed chroot and re-installed it. I tried it with Unity, but the same error occurs. Wine is installed, and the config runs smooth. The only time it refuses to execute is running ./doukutsu in which it dumps the same error.

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:01 PM
funwillfunwill said:
If you haven't tried already, run the linux port.
...That's what they're referring to by "./doukutsu" and "doukutsu.bin".
Doukutsu.bin is the linux port's executable,
"./doukutsu" is a command to run a script/program with a filename of "doukutsu"(no extension) in the current directory
(which would be the script to start said executable after setting up environment variables,etc.)

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:04 PM
"..."
So if the port doesn't work and if Wine doesn't work then i'm out of ideas. Theoretically you could run the crap flash port i think.

Dec 12, 2014 at 2:27 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
KeckSeck said:
Removed chroot and re-installed it. I tried it with Unity, but the same error occurs. Wine is installed, and the config runs smooth. The only time it refuses to execute is running ./doukutsu in which it dumps the same error.
Try running the PC version of CS in wine.

Dec 12, 2014 at 4:35 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
andwhyisit said:
Try running the PC version of CS in wine.
Damn son. Didn't even thing of that.

Dec 13, 2014 at 2:04 AM
"..."
Just to make it clear I recommended that already...