Cave Story: Level-Based Edition (LBE)

Who would you like to see playable in this mod? (Pick 2)

• Misery

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Santa

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Chaco

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Sue

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Toroko

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • King

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Arthur

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Miniature Balrog (Cave Story beta)

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
Mar 26, 2016 at 1:44 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
WARNING: THERE WILL BE SPOILERS

THIS IS AN EDIT DUE TO A MISCONCEPTION

I've always loved Cave Story and the modding community. Lots of mods are fun, challenging, and even surpass the original. One thing I notice is a lack of mod love for other Pixel games. So here I am to combine Cave Story's main mechanics such as the weapons, story, and levels with the linear style of Kero Blaster.

FAQ:

Q: Will there be multiplayer?
A: Maybe.

Q: Can I place a request for a playable character?
A: Help is always accepted. Just tell me their name and weapon.

Q: Can I contribute?
A: Hell yeah! PTCOP remixes would be much appreciated.

Q: Can I place a request to put myself into the game?
A: PM me.

Q: What will you use to do this?
A: Booster's Lab (thank you Noxid for creating this fine modding software) Flixel, an ActionScript3 software & Aseprite (edits graphics).

Q: Will there be stores?
A: No. I will still use the EXP system from Cave Story. I will allow the player to give up weapons to add a permanent level to a weapon. This would mean if I were to turn in my Fireball I could give the permanent level to the Polar Star and the Polar Star would never drop below Level 2.

Q: Will Cave Story's areas work as levels?
A: Modifications will be made. Nothing major however. Nothing that's a complete overhaul like Cave Story: Redesigned.

Q: 24 yo on the Cave Story forums? Get a life!
A: I thought this was one of those forums that required a certain age cap. I'm actually 13 yo. Elementl Gamer is actually my best friend in real life.
ACCEPTING SUPPORT:

I will gladly accept support with formatting the story to compliment the game's linear approach, any playable characters, or even hacks to use with Booster's Lab. Any help is appreciated. This is an ambitious project, but Cave Story was an ambitious project as well and THAT didn't stop Pixel from creating what may be the finest Metroidvania-esqe title of all time.

I'M OPEN TO CRITICISM:
I can take it. I have thick skin. I wouldn't care if andwhyisthat came in and told me my mod sucks or something. You can call my mod worse than Bubsy 3D but tell me why. I would like to know what I can do to repair anything wrong.

ROSTER:

p213735-0-latestcb20150225183526pathprefixcavestory.png

p213735-1-latestcb20140614003602pathprefixcavestory.png

Curly

p213735-2-latestcb20131125171314pathprefixcavestory.png

King

diph.php

Arthur

p213735-4-latestcb20131125072821pathprefixcavestory.png

Misery

p213735-5-latestcb20131125170629pathprefixcavestory.png

Sue

UPDATE:
This project is on hiatus. I need to get my shit together. Creating too many expectations, don't want to crush them. Work on this project has been delayed. Decided to refocus on a Rayman-themed hack.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2016 at 3:38 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
This sounds a lot like Cave Story: Redesign x Kero Blaster, which is bad.

Ah. I got that. It DOES sound that way now that I think about it. What I mean is simply a linear Cave Story with multiple playable characters. I was trying to and still am trying to sound professional. Misery and King are now definitely in as playable characters. I just need to find a way to give Misery a hover (a glide) and King an jump-dash (kinda like Sonic the Hedgehog's Homing Attack in the 3D games when it doesn't lock onto an enemy.)

Cave Story Redesign is MUCH MORE exploring focused than the original.

I see the Kero Blaster influence in my project.

no Blargo?

Who is Blargo? Is it supposed to be a joke version of Balrog? If so, his sprite would be to large to put into the player's 16x16 sprite space. I would put him in if I could. I might put in a mini Balrog like in the Cave Story beta. Balglings anyone? (ball-gling)

p213740-0-333.png

One last note:
These forums are way more active than I thought they would be!

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2016 at 3:58 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
I just need to find a way to give Misery a hover (a glide) and King an jump-dash (kinda like Sonic the Hedgehog's Homing Attack in the 3D games when it doesn't lock onto an enemy.)
for misery use the script in the ironhead fight, for king give him booster v2.0 but with shorter time

Mar 26, 2016 at 4:17 AM
They're not Balrogs; they're soap bars with legs, and faces and... things... VAGUELY RESEMBLING... hands.
They always seemed like chibi Balrogs to me.

for misery use the script in the ironhead fight, for king give him booster v2.0 but with shorter time
Your idea for King is spot-on but for Misery I intended a glide like Bubsy from the obscure game series of the same name or Knuckles from the once-incredible Sonic franchise.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2016 at 5:03 AM
Thank you for that warning.

Mar 26, 2016 at 5:05 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
They always seemed like chibi Balrogs to me.
the soap monster came before blargo
Your idea for King is spot-on but for Misery I intended a glide like Bubsy from the obscure game series of the same name or Knuckles from the once-incredible Sonic franchise.
why would misery act the way knuckles and bubsy do?
she levitates, not glides.

Mar 26, 2016 at 1:39 PM
Apr 3, 2016 at 12:02 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
1. I'm not worth a ruppe.
how dare you call bubsy crappy on these forums.
our fearless leader happens to be a huge supporter of all things bubsy related
2. Technically, he can say Bubsy is crap. It's his opinion. As long as he means no offense towards the fans of the series, he's fine. And I bet a lot of people here don't like it either. Just saying. I don't intend for this to be a huge conversation, but just a small statement.
Also, hi there, CeruleanReaper.

Apr 3, 2016 at 12:11 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Ban the sinners who scoff at Bubsy's name

Apr 3, 2016 at 12:37 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Doors. It's an opinion. LIVE WITH IT. Now let'stand just move on from this subject. It's already said and done.