Cave story DLC?

Jan 16, 2009 at 3:35 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
So I'f you have been reading the Nicalis Blog about cave story for Wii, then you would know that there will be downloadable content for the WiiWare version. There has been some speculation about fan made mods available for download, but we don't really know anything at all, besides that it will be there.

So, what do you guys think the DLC will be? I'm guessing mabey artwork type stuff, new levels (made by Nicalis, not by fans) or possibly weapons.

It would also be pretty sweet if there was a leaderboard for hell times.
Or mabey other things like time to beat the whole game, or most enemies killed or least damage or whatever.

so.... discuss

Jan 16, 2009 at 4:18 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I predict new levels, possibly with plot and old or even new characters attached. Or possibly just challenge levels, although I suspect that that would be soiling his artistic vision and he wouldn't want it one bit. Scratch that, I don't think Pixel would let them add straight challenge levels as DLC, even if they wanted; he'll probably write them a plot even if he has to fight for it to be included. I know that Cave Story in its current form is and always will be his masterpiece, and he has enough pride in it not to want to mess with it, but it's been years, and I'm sure he's thought of a few things that would be... appropriate to add.

New weapons seem somewhat likely, if you ask me; they don't mess with his artistic vision at all but give the kind of fan that likes DLC exactly what they crave. I'd bet on them.

Hell time leaderboards sound like a good idea, except that enough people have devoted enough hours to mastering hell speedruns that normal humans would probably be locked out of the top thousand within two days of release. Full game completion time could be cool but seems unlikely, for practical as much as artistic reasons. It's not a game to be rushed through. I would count on some form of acheivement list though.

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:31 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Beta content DLC. Please. *begs*

Jan 16, 2009 at 3:27 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
100% agreed with whyisit.

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:33 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
dooey100 said:
Huh? Why the obsession about Beta stuff? If it got cut, it was probably cut because it wasn't very good =/

Although beta levels would be kinda cool, if there are any complete levels from Beta
Because the beta game was completely different to what we have today, in both storyline and gameplay. Looking at the sceenshots you could tell that it was a great game back then as well.

The obsession is for a good reason.

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:45 AM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
andwhyisit said:
Because the beta game was completely different to what we have today, in both storyline and gameplay. Looking at the sceenshots you could tell that it was a great game back then as well.

True. You can also see a new feature that is not being held with the original CS which is coins and buying items system plus a cool official levels editor from Pixel himself.

I have a suspicion that Pixel has an actual levels editor for the original Cave Story that he even used it to create his levels within the executable file but he didn't publish it because simply he doesn't want anyone to edit his game.

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:57 AM
andwhyisit said:

Really? All I ever saw was a couple screenshots from Beta... Nothing to indicate different storyline. Cool. Is there a link anwhere where I can see this new gameplay/story?

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:05 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
dooey100 said:
Really? All I ever saw was a couple screenshots from Beta... Nothing to indicate different storyline. Cool. Is there a link anwhere where I can see this new gameplay/story?
Ask Pixel.

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:39 AM
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Cave Story beta and Ikachan are already to be added to the game as included content for the $10 VC download.

The -ONLY- explanation for DC without being downright retarded about it, is mods. That is to say, you submit one to Nicalis, they test play it several times to ensure originality and zero profanity; then, with Pixel's absolute permission, they transfer it from PC to the Wii console program.

As to shut up douchebags who for some reason refuse this idea; No, the submitters would not be entitled to any money gained from their mod. Any quality boosts in mod material would be done in advance by the mod's creator; or alternatively the graphic material could be filtered, as shown as an example on Nicalis in the past.

I see absolutely no value in stupid little extra stages added for additional money; because otherwise intelligent people would see it as pointless as I do:

-> If there's no beginning point, you cannot properly determine what weapons, items, or health the player would start with.

-> For the love of god, no Curly mode. I'm sure you've all played the game a bajillion times: if someone says you found everything, you have. Relating to this, any such Curly mode would use the exact same maps as the original game, so honestly why bother -- This idea is completely fan idolized and stupid.

-> No fucking built-in level editors. The Wii is not meant for the same logical work; and in order to make a built-in editor, they'll need to add button commands for every little thing. This is not ideal, not fun, and for the love of god, get over yourselves. Sue's workshop is infinitely more advanced an editor than the Wii could ever support, and if you idiots can't take the time to learn how to use it -- go f!@# yourselves.

Fan-created mods are the only logical possibility. Get over it, @$$holes.

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:12 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
ZarroTsu said:
Fan-created mods are the only logical possibility. Get over it, @$$holes.

If this is true, well this would be great news to all the modders.

I can't wait until there's more info on the DC, and if your right about the DC then I think I'd find myself working day and night on my mod while trying to make it fit their standards (good god that would be awesome).

And yes, the "Curly Mode" mod (which is really just a boring sprite swap) is very dull, unless it happens to be like kaeso's "Curly Brace's Story" which is a full fledged mod with new levels and story. I did play through the Curly mode however, but it just felt like playing through regular cavestory (which isn't bad, but not what you need from a mod).

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:26 AM
/end
I have to say that I seriously doubt they would allow fan-made mods as downloadable content.

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:08 AM
ZarroTsu said:
The -ONLY- explanation for DC without being downright retarded about it, is mods. That is to say, you submit one to Nicalis, they test play it several times to ensure originality and zero profanity; then, with Pixel's absolute permission, they transfer it from PC to the Wii console program.

Do you seriously think this is at all feasible? Even if they charge people for every mod downloaded, there is absolutely no way this would be profitable. If there are mods, they will at most read the script through once to check for profanity.

ZarroTsu said:
I see absolutely no value in stupid little extra stages added for additional money; because otherwise intelligent people would see it as pointless as I do:

-> If there's no beginning point, you cannot properly determine what weapons, items, or health the player would start with.

Why exactly does there have to be a story or beginning or explanation again? I have a lot of fun with single levels with no 'point' besides challenging myself, solving cool puzzles, or enjoying good level design.

ZarroTsu said:
-> No fucking built-in level editors. The Wii is not meant for the same logical work; and in order to make a built-in editor, they'll need to add button commands for every little thing. This is not ideal, not fun, and for the love of god, get over yourselves. Sue's workshop is infinitely more advanced an editor than the Wii could ever support, and if you idiots can't take the time to learn how to use it -- go f!@# yourselves.

Elebits for Wii has a level editor
Boom Blox for Wii has a level editor
Timesplitters for ps2 has a level editor
LittleBigPlanet for ps3 has a level editor

(not saying I necessarily think there will be a level editor, just that it is quite possible, and has been done in the past. Cave Story is also relatively simple to edit. A half decent software engineer could easily make a editor for wii that is much better that Sue's)

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:25 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
DLC does not mean mods. DLC does not ever mean mods. DLC means extra items, extra levels, maybe a few extra enemies or a new boss in that extra level, alternate playable characters, and appearance-altering extras. DLC doesn't mean a second game which is half as long as the original game, also known as a "good mod". It certainly does not mean several of them.

edit: The problem with a level editor, even if you ignored the fact that Pixel intentionally didn't make one for the PC, is that the scripting relies on typing a lot. It cannot be done without a keyboard, and I don't think that's part of the standard Wii package.

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:54 AM
/end
ZarroTsu said:

I'm finding it so hilarious that you actually think them putting something up that's not official over something that is official logical.

Jan 18, 2009 at 3:20 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
ZarroTsu said:
Cave Story beta and Ikachan are already to be added to the game as included content for the $10 VC download.
Logical.

ZarroTsu said:
Logical, though I suspect they would not be likely to go for fan-created mods.

ZarroTsu said:
I don't see why not. Little extra stages isn't all that different from full extra mods. Or a mod could be a set of extra stages chained together.

ZarroTsu said:
So make sure there's a beginning point. Is that so hard? How can you have anything without a beginning point, anyway?

ZarroTsu said:
-> For the love of god, no Curly mode. I'm sure you've all played the game a bajillion times: if someone says you found everything, you have. Relating to this, any such Curly mode would use the exact same maps as the original game, so honestly why bother -- This idea is completely fan idolized and stupid.
It's not a stupid idea – having extra playable characters is quite common and not at all a bad idea. However, in the case of Cave Story it doesn't really make sense to have Curly playable, because she's already an NPC. Additional playable characters should be new characters.

ZarroTsu said:
There's nothing wrong with level editors, but in this particular case it simply won't work.

dooey100 said:
Why exactly does there have to be a story or beginning or explanation again? I have a lot of fun with single levels with no 'point' besides challenging myself, solving cool puzzles, or enjoying good level design.
If there's no beginning, how do you begin?

dooey100 said:
(not saying I necessarily think there will be a level editor, just that it is quite possible, and has been done in the past. Cave Story is also relatively simple to edit. A half decent software engineer could easily make a editor for wii that is much better that Sue's)
No, it's not possible. Those games you listed are (I assume – I only looked up the first one) much simpler from an editing standpoint than Cave Story. Cave Story, on the other hand, is quite a complex game. It's the scripting that really makes a level editor impossible.

Brickman said:
DLC does not mean mods. DLC does not ever mean mods. DLC means extra items, extra levels, maybe a few extra enemies or a new boss in that extra level, alternate playable characters, and appearance-altering extras. DLC doesn't mean a second game which is half as long as the original game, also known as a "good mod". It certainly does not mean several of them.
Extra items, enemies, or bosses don't make sense... :/

Brickman said:
edit: The problem with a level editor, even if you ignored the fact that Pixel intentionally didn't make one for the PC, is that the scripting relies on typing a lot. It cannot be done without a keyboard, and I don't think that's part of the standard Wii package.
Yes.

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:47 PM
When you are thinking about how they would make a level editor for Wii, remember that they have the source of the game and the source of Pixels editor. There is nothing to stop them from changing the format of TSC to make it more user friendly. Also, a good drag and drop interface could mean that the only thing you would actually need to type is what the characters are actually saying.

By no beginning I meant no beginning story-wise. Judging how by ZarroTsu said that without a beginning you can't properly determine the starting health and weapons, I assumed he meant starting stuff that makes sense with the story. (feel free to correct me if I've misinterpreted you. Zarro) Of course, if there is no story, you just give the player whatever makes the most sense in the context of the level's difficulty.

Extra items, enemies, and bosses make perfect sense, as long as they are actually used somewhere meaningful.

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:06 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
dooey100 said:
Extra items, enemies, and bosses make perfect sense, as long as they are actually used somewhere meaningful.
True; but I can't really see anywhere where they would be meaningful.