Cave Story crashes my computer

Dec 23, 2007 at 5:43 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well, I tried both the normal+translation version and the deluxe pack, both eventually crash and reboot my computer after enough time. Would anyone know how to fix this? The game is really fun, I would hate to stop playing just cause of this.

Dec 23, 2007 at 6:22 PM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
What OS are you running?

Dec 23, 2007 at 8:20 PM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Hm, I had this problem the first time I downloaded it. Wait a day or so, should work. Well, thats what I did, wait a few days. :/

Dec 23, 2007 at 9:14 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It's been two days, and it still crashes. Playing Bunny Must Die untill the situation resolves lol

Dec 23, 2007 at 9:22 PM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I'd start by deleting it and re-downloading it. If that doesn't work, try running it as a 95 application. I downloaded my copy from Acid Play, it might help to do the same. If all else fails, theres always the option of a new video card, but you'd have to be a pretty devout Cave Story fan to buy a new graphic card to play it.

Or just get it for PSP. ;)

Dec 23, 2007 at 9:54 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
You could try upgrading your version of DirectX. Or maybe it's your memory that's broken.

Dec 24, 2007 at 6:06 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Answered this question in a few threads and so far it's been the same... I had a problem just like that.

It's the sound or something related to it, at least in mine and other people's cases. To solve this problem, go to :
Control Panel ->
Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Audio Tab -> Sound playback Advanced -> Performance Tab -> Hardware acceleration
Lower that all the way or like one up.
Hit OK or apply and if all goes well, [don't think you have to restart]
It Might just stop the crashing. You might have to crank it back up after you are done with Cave Story though, so don't forget about that ;)
[assuming it fixes it]

My problem was I would be playing Cave Story on my comp with XP and I'd hear these random sound malifunctions or whatnot... and then randomly it'd just... FREEZE crash and burn
It worked for me, hope it helps!