can you change the resolution of the original cave story?

Jul 12, 2020 at 1:47 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
when i play it, the graphics are stretched a bit, so the game doesn't look sharp. it's funny though, when i print the screen, the generated image is perfectly sharp. how do i make it look sharp? do i have to change the resolution settings on windows?

Jul 12, 2020 at 1:51 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
when i play it, the graphics are stretched a bit, so the game doesn't look sharp. it's funny though, when i print the screen, the generated image is perfectly sharp. how do i make it look sharp? do i have to change the resolution settings on windows?
Use DoConfig and make it 640x480. You're welcome.

Jul 12, 2020 at 1:53 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
nice, thanks! but now it's windowed... is there any way to play it fullscreen without messing up the graphics?

Jul 12, 2020 at 2:01 AM
War criminal
Use Full 32-bit. That's the best one of the full screen options. Do be aware that if you use Print Screen, the screenshots will display as 640x480.

Jul 12, 2020 at 2:01 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
i managed to find this weird option... if only the game was shown in the middle of the screen, instead of in the corner
cs1.png
cs2.png

Jul 12, 2020 at 2:03 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Use Full 32-bit. That's the best one of the full screen options. Do be aware that if you use Print Screen, the screenshots will display as 640x480.
that looks exactly like the original fullscreen mode for me

Jul 12, 2020 at 2:11 AM
War criminal
that looks exactly like the original fullscreen mode for me
Yeah, the difference however is that all colors (except for black [#000000]) can render properly. It should be in a 4:3 resolution instead of 4:3 stretched, too. It is an older game, 16:9 was never originally in mind. If you wish to use 16:9 fullscreen, I do recommend using the Mod Loader or CSE2, as they help provide such a thing.

Jul 12, 2020 at 2:26 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
i see. no, i don't want to play it on 16:9. i just want it as big as it can get on my screen while mantaining the proportions (which would be 2x, that is, 640,480), without having to play windowed. "full 24-bit" is exactly that, but the game is on the corner...

actually, no! that would be 960x720, is there a mod for playing the game in this resolution? which makes the remaining pixels around it a solid color, so it feels like fullscreen?

Jul 12, 2020 at 3:06 AM
War criminal
Not with Vanilla means. I think Mod Loader and CSE2 can accomplish that, however.

Jul 12, 2020 at 7:16 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
If I remember correctly some GPUs have different options regarding how to display fullscreen stuff so it might be worth looking into that.

Jan 6, 2021 at 2:52 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
it took me a while to figure this out on my kids pc. no matter what i did the resolution was off. even in compatibility 640x480 part of the screen was cut off. i had to go into advanced scaling options in windows (beside the start bar where it says type here to search type "fix apps that are blurry" or simply "fix blurry" will bring it up. go there and type 100 in the text box. hit apply and logout/login and your problem should be fixed. you're welcome if so (dpi scaling on my sons was set to 130 by default and it would not let me switch to 100 in display settings but this allowed me to change it) if you are on an earlier version of windows you can right click properties > compatibility tab > change dpi high setting > open advanced scaling settings > 100 in the box > log out > log in
that should do the same thing

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 2:59 AM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Look for Clownacy's DLL Mod Loader, there's a graphics enhancement mod that lets you run the game in more modern aspect ratios.