Are Video Games Good for Children?

Jul 18, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Banned
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It's difficult for most parents to allow their kids to play video games for hours and hours every day. So I spend a lot of time reading about the effects of video games to understand the dilemma. Many researchers base evidence on "screen time", which includes television, concluding that it's detrimental to kids in large doses. The American Medical Association recommends limited "screen time" because of the passive nature of watching TV but, ironically, school is passive (like TV) and harmful to kids for all the same reasons that "screen time" is passive and harmful. Don't tell the kids this, or they will want to stay at home with you! Overall, counter-intuitive research specific to video games shows healthy and positive effects from high engagement.

Video games increases problem solving skills

The major difference is passive vs. active engagement. When children zone out in front of a TV, they lack problem-solving or strategizing. That's definitely not true for a video game. Children who are completely absorbed in a video game and can't hear a word his mom says is actually exhibiting the behavior psychologists like Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi call "flow" -which is the highest form of learning due to the engaged attention toward mastery of a skill.

Video games progress motor skills

Letting a 4-year-old sit in front of a TV with a game controller might not seem like the most prolific use of their time. But researchers from Deakin University in Melbourne, Australia, would disagree. Their study examined the development of 53 preschool-aged children, and found that those who played "interactive games" had better "object control motor skills" than those who didn't. It's not clear whether children with above average motor skills tend to gravitate toward video games in the first place.

Video games improve your decision-making skills

Most video games require fast reactions and split-second decisions that can mean the difference between virtual life and virtual death. Cognitive neuroscientists at the University of Rochester in New York found these games give players' brains plenty of practice for making decisions in the real world. Researchers suggest that action-oriented games act as a simulator for the decision-making process by giving players several chances to understand information from their surroundings and pushing them to react accordingly.

Video games help your vision

Mom may have warned you that sitting in front of the TV wasn't good for your eyes. But one developmental psychologist found it could actually be advantageous to your vision. Dr. Daphen Maurer of the Visual Development Lab of Ontario's McMaster University made a surprising discovery: People suffering from cataracts can improve their vision by playing first-person shooter games like Medal of Honor and Call of Duty. She believes these games are so fast-paced that they require an extreme amount of attention, training the visually impaired to view things more sharply. They can also produce higher levels of dopamine and adrenaline that "potentially may make the brain more plastic", she said.

Video games are also therapeutic for children with chronic illnesses

The University of Utah released a study last year that examined the effects of regular gaming on children diagnosed with illnesses like autism, depression and Parkinson's disease. Children who played certain games, including one designed just for the study, showed signs of improvement in "resilience, empowerment, and a 'fighting spirit.'" Researchers believe the games' ability to act on "neuronal mechanisms that activate positive emotions and the reward system" helped improve kids' demeanors as they cope with the daily challenges of their illnesses.

Video games provide pain relief

Video games also help those who are suffering from physical pain. Psychologists at the University of Washington developed a game that helps hospital patients suffering from immense physical pain by using an age-old mental trick: distraction. The virtual reality game "Snow World" put patients in an arctic wonderland in which they throw an endless collection of snowballs at a series of targets, such as penguins and snowmen. Military hospitals found the involvement helped soldiers recovering from their battlefield wounds. The soldiers who played "Snow World" required less pain medicine during their recuperation.

Video games reduce stress and depression making healthier and happier kids

Research suggests that unlimited video game time makes for healthy kids in the same way that unlimited baseball practice does for a kid who loves baseball. They say a kid stops naturally when he is exhausted from exerting effort.

Research also says that gamers are happier and more successful as adults. In 2009's Annual Review of Cybertherapy and Telemedicine, a study that found gamers who suffered from mental health issues such as stress and depression were able to vent their frustration and aggression by playing video games - and showed a prominent improvement. The study hypothesized that games gave certain "Type A" personalities time to relax in "a state of relative mindlessness" that allowed them to avoid reaching "a certain level of stressful arousal" as they tried to relax. Science Direct also republished a study that shows that gamers report a higher sense of wellbeing than non-gamers as they age. Researchers from North Carolina State University looked closely at our aging population to see if there was a link between playing video games and mental well-being - i.e. "happiness". They found that senior citizens who said they played video games - even occasionally - reported "higher levels of happiness, or well-being," says Rick Nauert at PsychCentral. "Those who did not play video games reported more negative emotions" and were more likely to be depressed. It's unclear what exactly is behind this link - or if the relationship is even causal. A lot of this probably has to do with the fact that gaming is social and gives people a sense of belonging to a community; the long-term benefits of spending large amounts of time on video games are similar to the long-term benefits of spending a lot of time at church.

Video games help prepare you for future careers

In the future, thinking type jobs will be largely about data gathering, analysis and collaboration. So children should learn data gathering early. If you tell a kid to do research online for a paper they are writing for school, the kid is not doing self-directed research. They are finding something because they were told to. Gamers constantly gather information online about the game, becoming better players. The data collection and synthesis skills are more innovative for someone infatuated with a topic, because they are determined to find more and more particular information. In the long run, gamers will outperform non-gamers in intellectual jobs.

They also say gamers do better in jobs that are active. Especially those types of jobs that require hand-eye coordination and continuing to play the games a little bit each week keeps these professionals sharp at work. We have known about this research for a while from the military, but a study from Iowa State University confirms that even surgeons perform better when they regularly play video games.

Currently in the workplace, the gap between younger people and an older people usually rests in their differing abilities to search for information online. The search and synthesis skills one will need in order to be a great performer at work will only increase with time. Children's brains essentially change when they are online searching and taking in information all day in odd bits and chunks. If a childs' brain does not develop this way, they eventually will have an outdated way of problem solving.

So go get your mind enthralled in some new game today, especially those challenging at PocketCake.com!

Jul 18, 2013 at 5:04 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
tl;dr

I wonder if I can convince andwhy to install a word filter that changes all instances of "pocketcake" to "Obey Fearless Leader Noxid"

Jul 18, 2013 at 6:07 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
A pocketcake sounds good right about now.

Jul 18, 2013 at 6:21 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I feel like I saw this post before.....
But at the same time, it's like reading a long book, so I can't bother to read the whole thing past the first paragraph.
Which the paragraph in itself is bad, I got bored by the time I finished the paragraph because it doesn't relate to Cave Story,
even though this is in Cave Story General Discussion.

2/10 made me read.

Jul 18, 2013 at 6:39 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
oh, thanks for reminding me
I've moved these threads to a more fitting location.

Jul 18, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Okay what the fuck half of this is like directly copy-pasted from one of my brother's school projects, except I know for a fact that my brother didn't plagiarize

Where the hell did you get a copy of that powerpoint, highheelgamer?

Jul 18, 2013 at 7:24 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
i think we have some questions for you dunc
pls have a seat over there
has your brother been involved in any cakes of a miniature persuasion
particularly... pocket-sized

Jul 18, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Are drugs good for children?

It's difficult for most parents to allow their kids to shoot up for hours and hours every day. So I spend a lot of time reading about the effects of hard narcotics to understand the dilemma. Many researchers base evidence on "high time", which includes coming down, concluding that it's detrimental to kids in large doses. The American Medical Association recommends limited "high time" because of the passive nature of tripping out but, ironically, school is passive (like drugs) and harmful to kids for all the same reasons that "high time" is passive and harmful. Don't tell the kids this, or they will want to stay at home with you! God forbid you have to deal with those little monsters any more than necessary. Overall, counter-intuitive research specific to drugs shows healthy and positive effects from getting fucked up.

Drugs increase problem solving skills

The major difference is depressants vs. stimulants. When children zone out after hitting up some dank leaf, they lack problem-solving or strategizing. That's definitely not true for cocaine or crystal meth. Children who are tripping out of their minds and can't hear a word their mom says is actually exhibiting the behavior psychologists like Mihaly Tokeitupnigga call "flow" -which is the highest form of learning due to the engaged attention toward mastery of a skill.

Drugs progress motor skills

Letting a 4-year-old shoot up roids in the living room might not seem like the most prolific use of their time. But researchers from Deakin University in Melbourne, Australia, would disagree. Their study examined the development of 53 preschool-aged children, and found that those who were on "the juice" had better "object control motor skills" than those who didn't. It's not clear whether children with above average motor skills tend to gravitate towards injecting steroids in the first place.

Drugs improve your decision-making skills

Most drug deals gone bad require fast reactions and split-second decisions that can mean the difference between hood life and hood death. Cognitive neuroscientists at the University of Rochester in New York found these drugs give users' brains plenty of practice for making decisions in the real world. Researchers suggest that action-oriented drug-induced hallucinations act as a simulator for the decision-making process by giving players several chances to understand information from their surroundings and pushing them to react accordingly.

Drugs help your vision

Mom may have warned you that jabbing heroin needles into your eyeballs wasn't good for your eyes. But one developmental psychologist found it could actually be advantageous to your vision. Dr. Daphen Maurer of the Visual Development Lab of Ontario's McMaster University made a surprising discovery: People suffering from cataracts can improve their vision by shooting smack right into them. She believes the H is so legit that your eyeballs are just like "shit dawg, this is straight up OG" and then stop being such pussies. It can also produce higher levels of dopamine and adrenaline that "potentially may make the brain more plastic", she said.

Drugs are also therapeutic for children with chronic illnesses

The University of Utah released a study last year that examined the effects of regular drug use on children diagnosed with illnesses like autism, depression and Parkinson's disease. Children who certain narcotics, including one designed just for the study, showed signs of improvement in "resilience, empowerment, and a 'fighting spirit.'" Researchers believe the drugs' ability to act on "neuronal mechanisms that activate positive emotions and the reward system" helped improve kids' demeanors as they cope with the daily challenges of their illnesses.

Drugs provide pain relief

Drugs also help those who are suffering from physical pain. Psychologists at the University of Washington developed a psychoactive drug that helps hospital patients suffering from immense physical pain by using an age-old mental trick: getting high off your ass. The intense full-sensory hallucinations put patients in an arctic wonderland in which they throw an endless collection of snowballs at a series of targets, such as hydras and Barack Obama with a fish's body. Military hospitals found that tripping balls helped soldiers recovering from their battlefield wounds. The soldiers who went to "Snow World" required less pain medicine during their recuperation.

Drugs reduce stress and depression making healthier and happier kids

Research suggests that unlimited crack makes for healthy kids in the same way that unlimited baseball practice does for a kid who loves baseball. They say a kid stops naturally when he is exhausted from wacking out.

Research also says that users are happier and more successful as adults. In 2009's Annual Review of Cybertherapy and Telemedicine, a study that found drug addicts who suffered from mental health issues such as stress and depression were able to vent their frustration and aggression by shooting up tranqs - and showed a prominent improvement. The study hypothesized that games gave certain "Type A" personalities time to relax in "a state of relative mindlessness" that allowed them to avoid reaching "a certain level of stressful arousal" as they tried to relax. Science Direct also republished a study that shows that druggies report a higher sense of wellbeing than non-druggies as they age. Researchers from North Carolina State University looked closely at our aging population to see if there was a link between doing drugs and mental well-being - i.e. "happiness". They found that senior citizens who said they puffed the reefer - even occasionally - reported "higher levels of happiness, or well-being," says Rick Nauert at PsychCentral. "Those who did not smoke pot reported more negative emotions" and were more likely to be depressed. It's unclear what exactly is behind this link - or if the relationship is even causal. A lot of this probably has to do with the fact that hotboxing is social and gives people a sense of belonging to a community; the long-term benefits of spending large amounts of time high are similar to the long-term benefits of spending a lot of time at church.

Drugs help prepare you for future careers

Especially for being the mayor of a huge city.

So go get your mind enthralled in some new happy juice, especially those being sold at PocketCake.com!

So originally I was going to comment on how the benefits of video games need to be extolled like this, as if video games were some kind of new, experimental drug instead of a form of entertainment, but then I wrote this instead because it was funnier.

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:11 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
O_O!
... Well, this escalated quickly. I'm just gonna back away so I don't get caught in the ensuing crossfire.

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:29 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
I literally hate you

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:36 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Ultimate Nerd-meister said:
O_O!
... Well, this escalated quickly. I'm just gonna back away so I don't get caught in the ensuing crossfire.
Are you kidding? This is going to be great! *grabs popcorn*

Jul 19, 2013 at 4:31 AM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Just stop okay
You already made us (especially me and idk who else) pissed off, you won't fix it.

Jul 19, 2013 at 6:50 AM
When she started posting, absolutely no one wanted to play her shitty game. Things can only get better for her. Unless we hate Pocketcake so much that we start a smear campaign, but come on. Us? Doing work? We're more likely to buy the stupid microtransactions than do actual work.

Jul 19, 2013 at 7:21 PM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
I think we should all buy it
And then bash it
All over the internet
Letting the world know
How terrible
It is

Unless it's actually something good/fun/useful/etc. Then we just hate highheelgamer.

Jul 19, 2013 at 7:56 PM
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
CookedChef said:
Unless it's actually something good/fun/useful/etc. Then we just hate highheelgamer.

The way I see it, if FF13 won best game of the year despite being terrible, whatever game she's advertising can sure as hell win worst game of the year regardless of how good it probably isn't.

We just need to write seven different reviews under seven or so unique aliases, all pointing out different flaws.

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:10 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
ZarroTsu said:
The way I see it, if FF13 won best game of the year despite being terrible, whatever game she's advertising can sure as hell win worst game of the year regardless of how good it probably isn't.

We just need to write seven different reviews under seven or so unique aliases, all pointing out different flaws.
I was actually planning to do that. But apparently, the game isn't out yet.

Jul 20, 2013 at 4:14 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
DEAR GOD LEAVE US ALONE HIGHHEELGAMER!
AND LEAVE EVERY OTHER FORUM SITE ALONE TOO! :muscledoc: :pignon2:

Jul 20, 2013 at 5:45 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
You might want to try changing your avatar to a Slowpoke

Don't feel bad that you missed this chance, I'm sure you'd still get plenty of use out of it

Jul 20, 2013 at 8:18 AM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I wanted to medically analyze and basically disagree with the alleged benefits listed by highheelgamer. When I saw the cool response by Captain Fabulous, there was no more need to attack those points more. That pretty much sums up the healthy critical approach enlightened men should take against nonsense stuff that is made to sound scientific so it is more easily believed.

Some possible benefits of video games I can think of: playing video games in a language you learn helps much. I've learned much English that way, and now I almost only play video games in Spanish...writing down all new words and learning them later.Logical/mathematical/puzzle/educational/language learning games can be good., etc.