Are Quote and Curly Humans?

Aug 4, 2015 at 6:41 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It may sound dumb, but I think Quote and Curly might be human, not robot.
I know the professor says they are robots, but Kazuma couldn't even tell. Nobody could, with an apparent exception for Booster. But how could he tell? Did it ever say?

Also, the emotions. Curly shows some very human reactions to stuff that happens in the game. Heck, she has more of a reaction than any other characters in the game. Japan, where this game originates, is famous for having extremely realistic and advanced robots however, so maybe Pixel took it to an extreme with this game. But the other robots in this game don't show much emotion either, although their appearances are so short lived that it would be hard to tell whether or not they show any.

Quote and Curly both only have a short time underwater before they drown. Most electronic devices at all aren't resistant to water. But if their emotions were programmed, then it would have to be an extremely technologically advanced society, right? If they were smart enough to program something as delicate as emotion, one should think that they were smart enough to have water proofed their robots. Especially since they were sending these robots to unknown lands. It would be a waste to make a robot that would malfunction if there were some rain where you were sending it. It simply doesn't add up. Even water resistant robots could work, but it takes too little time to drown for them to be considered water resistant.

If somebody were to make robots, why would they make a boy and a girl? The other robots in the game pretty much have no gender, which makes sense because they are robots, and thus have no need for gender. So why make Quote and Curly, a boy and a girl? It would be a waste of time and money.

Maybe they are robot and human hybrids, I don't know. Give me your thoughts! Unless you don't want to. In which case, don't.

Aug 4, 2015 at 6:57 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I think they are robots, but Pixel gave them very human characteristics.

Aug 4, 2015 at 7:01 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
crazycucumbers said:
If somebody were to make robots, why would they make a boy and a girl? The other robots in the game pretty much have no gender, which makes sense because they are robots, and thus have no need for gender. So why make Quote and Curly, a boy and a girl? It would be a waste of time and money.
Here's the thing, Quote and Curly were built more advanced than the blue robots in the game. Even the survived Surface robot soldier looked more advanced. Likewise, given that Quote and Curly were built as a team, they were given protocol that matches those of male and female human soldiers, as they have the ability to handle such tasks more than other robots.

Aug 4, 2015 at 7:24 AM
"Huzzah!"
They didn't make them super-waterproof because Pixel wanted you to be able to drown, and also, being able to program emotion doesn't really have anything to do with waterproofing your robots - waterproofing is physical, AI is digital

also, as for the emotion and how much more advanced the two are in comparison to the other robots, I doubt that they were made by the same people
whoever made them obviously was smart enough to figure out putting in emotion and stuff, since they had to appear more friendly after everyone on the island was afraid of robots; also had to add emotion so the two would stick together and put thought into their actions when they were performing their tasks

I do agree though, that they have very humanlike characteristics, but I still think that they were just robots made by someone who had a ton of AI knowledge

<end spheel>

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:15 AM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
They are robots programmed with a full set of emotions.
Designed to carry out human and non-human tasks.

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:26 PM
Professional Whatever
Robots without defining characteristics, emotion or personality are boring characters that are not fit for a main character role. Pixel fixed this.

Aug 4, 2015 at 6:55 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
The whole "draining the water from Curly" scene makes no sense if they're humans. Especially since the book says its a technique to treat "flooded robots", or something to that effect.

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:01 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Wow. I got a lot of "no" from this theory lol. So nobody thinks they are human, everybody thinks they are robots. Does anybody think they are hybrids? I think that might be pretty plausible. For like the water draining thing.

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:15 PM
Been here way too long...
Quote and Curly being human, or even partially human, undermines their character development so thoroughly that it would never be a solid theory no matter how many technical reasons there are supporting it. Robots in Cave Story are generally dim-witted, short-sighted and emotionless, and Quote setting himself apart from that is quite significant. Making him human makes him far less interesting as a character, so why would you?

Aug 6, 2015 at 5:28 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Hmm... Two cyborgs, this is a option too...

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:20 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
majashurka said:
Hmm... Two cyborgs, this is a option too...
Not really. They're likely synthetic humans. AKA androids. Robots that are built to closely resemble humans.

Aug 11, 2015 at 1:28 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Captain Fabulous said:
Quote setting himself apart from that is quite significant. Making him human makes him far less interesting as a character, so why would you?
That's a great point, actually. Quote and Curly being different from the other robots is constantly alluded to throughout the story, and it's a part of why they're deemed so impressive. I suppose that they work best as they are. ^_^

Aug 14, 2015 at 6:16 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
The robot thing can help in explaining Quote's durability, as well as the fact that you explode when you die.

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:26 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Miccs said:
The robot thing can help in explaining Quote's durability, as well as the fact that you explode when you die.
Quote and Curly are both definitely robots, but pretty much everything explodes upon death. Critters, bats, Butes, you name it.

Aug 14, 2015 at 6:42 PM
beep boop
Well, considering the fact that Quote can jump 3 times his own height, he explodes, and records his adventures to a giant floating floppy disk, I can conclude that Quote is at least artificial.

Aug 17, 2015 at 8:34 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
They both have to be completely robots. Take for example the drowning of Curly. If Curly had been a cyborg the human part of her would have died. There is no system reboot for organic living things.

Aug 17, 2015 at 8:41 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
They could still be android/human hybrids. I mean, Dr. Gero IS in the game.

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:01 PM
War criminal
So does this mean Quote and Curly = Lapis and Lazuli?