Another Min. Items Hell run 3'46'4

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:53 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM4TW2boT4o

Yup, another one of these. I"m not doing anymore min. items hell runs for a really really long time >_>.

Mistakes/Time wasted

-2nd room was mean as hell the whole time I was trying to do this run :x I think around 3-5 seconds was wasted in this room
-Took me too long to go through the first blow up door thingie, so on the 3rd one the rolly thing of doom got in the way of my shots causing me to waste a little more time shooting the blow up door thingie. 2-3 seconds gone there
-Screwed up on my booster at one point, and went left instead of up, didn't lose much time but it's worth mentioning :x 1 second lost maybe.
-Heavy Press can be killed slightly faster by using the lv 1 blade and Polar Star, switching between them as the blade rises and throwing another blade out afterwards and switching back to Polar star. I couldn't coordinate my hands to do that well enough so I just said screw it, also my blade lv'd to 2 before I wanted it to : ( 1-2 seconds could be gained here
-Messed up the corridor with the dog >_> lost a tiny bit of time.
-Using an idea that ZT had, Ballos' first and 2nd forms can be killed crazy fast by using the lv 2 blade + Curly. Ballos' first form can be killed before he starts his 3rd dash at you using that technique but I chickened out right at the end and wasted a little time :p
-Blading Ballos' final form could've been better but hell I was nervous. 2-4 seconds could be gained by better accuracy/luck on blades.

Most of the time I gained comes from killing ballos way quicker thanks to ZT's idea..

I also think the fastest time anyone could get is probably around 3'30'0 - 3'35'0. Someone prove me wrong :eek:

Not going through hell again for a really long time. *!@$ that 2nd room.

Jan 22, 2008 at 12:17 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Chaddykins said:
Not going through hell again for a really long time. *!@$ that 2nd room.

lol that room is really bad in 3hp, because thats the room you will always stuff up because of the randomness :eek:

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:14 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
xristosx said:
lol that room is really bad in 3hp, because thats the room you will always stuff up because of the randomness :D
It's not random, the pattern is just REALLY REALLY long and complex.

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:00 PM
Slacker
DragonBoots said:
It's not random, the pattern is just REALLY REALLY long and complex.

I strongly disagree. There's sometimes when blocks will fall in your path constantly and times when they will not bother you at all.

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:54 PM
Chaddykins said:
I strongly disagree. There's sometimes when blocks will fall in your path constantly and times when they will not bother you at all.
I refer to not being bothered by the blocks as "pattern ressonance".
You hit it just at the right time, and bam! No blocks interfere.
The Butes are fixed 100%, so they always attack, but the blocks are fixed to a pattern that is reset when you exit and reload.
The trick is calculating the timing to work to your advantage.

Jan 23, 2008 at 1:44 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
DragonBoots said:
I refer to not being bothered by the blocks as "pattern ressonance".
You hit it just at the right time, and bam! No blocks interfere.
The Butes are fixed 100%, so they always attack, but the blocks are fixed to a pattern that is reset when you exit and reload.
The trick is calculating the timing to work to your advantage.
When you're trying to get through the level as quickly as possible there's generally not time to sit around waiting for the pattern (if there is one) to start working for you.

Also excellent run Chaddy, I knew 4 minutes could be broken. I doubt anybody will be breaking 3:30 anytime soon, though...

Jan 23, 2008 at 6:51 AM
Slacker
DoubleThink said:
When you're trying to get through the level as quickly as possible there's generally not time to sit around waiting for the pattern (if there is one) to start working for you.

Exactly :X if there is a pattern it's still completely random and would require the knowledge of said pattern before you step into that room because soon as you get into that room you gotta start moving if you want to get a fast time. I personally don't think there is a pattern cause I've seen blocks fall in almost completely different ways every time.
DoubleThink said:
Also excellent run Chaddy, I knew 4 minutes could be broken. I doubt anybody will be breaking 3:30 anytime soon, though...

And thanks : D I'd be incredibly interested to see what kind of strategy someone would use to break 3:30..cause right now that seems really really unlikely with the strats now. =x

Jan 23, 2008 at 7:29 PM
DoubleThink said:
It always works for me...
o.o'
Perhaps the pattern is established from the start of the game, based on your skill at, well, everything.

Jan 24, 2008 at 6:03 PM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Wow.. that made my run look like a pile of crap..

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:41 PM
Kaeso said:
Wow.. that made my run look like a pile of crap..
Don't be jealous.
He's had...
Years is it?
Well, we'll pretend it is...
Years of practice.
(My first run was 49" 17' 34...)

Jan 25, 2008 at 3:24 AM
Yeah he's really good, I've been playing Cave Story since July last year but i just made it to hell for the first time yesterday.

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:33 PM
Kaeso said:
Yeah he's really good, I've been playing Cave Story since July last year but i just made it to hell for the first time yesterday.
Wheeeee!
~Gives you a bottle of champagne~

A-hem.

In essence, you've only just beaten the game.
Cause the real mans ending is through hell.

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:38 PM
Yeah i got it in july and played through once and got the mediocre ending, then i stopped playing for 5 months because i didnt have a clue on how to save curly, then i read about it and started playing again.

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:46 PM
Kaeso said:
Yeah i got it in july and played through once and got the mediocre ending, then i stopped playing for 5 months because i didnt have a clue on how to save curly, then i read about it and started playing again.
I always screwed up the Red Brick jump...
Then I noticed the save point right above. -_-
(Position relative blindness - In video games I see the target and me, and not much else.)
With a little practice, I managed to figure it out all by my self.