Am I the Only One Who Can't Beat Hell?

Sep 6, 2012 at 2:10 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
This game was just made too challenging. On every try, I die as soon as I begin, and if I ever do get to Ballos, he brutally murders me at his first form.

After doing this numerous times, I eventually gave up and settled for second ending. Not something I'm proud of, but there are no save points, no way to restore your health fully, and too many enemies pop out at you at unexpected times.

And the fact that Ballos has four forms doesn't necessarily help either..

Sep 6, 2012 at 2:19 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
yes.
you should feel bad.

Sep 6, 2012 at 2:22 AM
Based Member
Indeed, Hell is very, very hard when you try it for the first time. When I first played Cave Story, I got from the beginning to the normal ending in one day. However, once I found out about the third ending and get to Sacred Grounds for the first time, it took me an entire 4-6 days to finally beat it. And since it was during summer break, I had all the time in the world and got to try over and over again all day during those days. My advice is to keep trying. Once you beat it for the first time, you'll be able to do it easier over and over again; just keep trying! Here's something that might help: When you go down from B2 to B3, get those hearts on the right side of the pillar. Now go back up to B2 where you came from, and back down into B3, and the hearts will be back. Repeat this again until your health is full. Hope this helps. And yeah, almost everyone here has beaten Hell more times than we can count, but don't worry- there are a few people here who either have never beaten Hell before, are really bad at it, or took ages before beating it or getting good at it.

Sep 6, 2012 at 2:29 AM
Professional Whatever
Also me. I've never beaten it, unfortunately.
Someday >:c

Sep 6, 2012 at 2:30 AM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
It's called the Best Ending for a reason.

Also, me neither.

I got very close once, but I got killed at the fourth form.

Sep 6, 2012 at 2:40 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Play some mods. I wasn't able to beat it until after playing Jenka's Nightmare (the original, not the revived).

Sep 6, 2012 at 3:19 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
> Expecting "Am I the Only One Who Can Hack Using Assembly?"

Anyway, everyone on the Cave Story Forums has beaten hell many times except a few people. We've all got 3 minute or 2 minute scores. So yeah, you could say we're obsessed with this game.

Now, if you are having issues with Hell, attempt WTF Story with 1 HP minimal items. After that, Hell will be so easy it'll be like playing candy land.

Sep 6, 2012 at 4:21 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
I only beat Hell last year. I got about a five-minute score. What you need to do is not use the Spur. Yes, it's an awesome weapon, but the Snake and Machine Gun are better for Hell. Don't say you don't want the Snake because you need the Fireball, because you don't. The Snake was the reason I ever managed to beat Hell. Being able to take out archer Butes before they can even see me? Amazing! I took so little damage, I didn't even need a Life Pot. I didn't even need the Nemesis to win this way. And remember, just keep trying. It took years of practice and then finally switching to a proper weapon to beat Hell for me. It should take someone who starts with a good weapon a few weeks, at most.

Once you beat Hell, the fun really begins. Ever tried a minimal items run? >:3

Sep 6, 2012 at 4:24 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Here's something that might help: When you go down from B2 to B3, get those hearts on the right side of the pillar. Now go back up to B2 where you came from, and back down into B3, and the hearts will be back. Repeat this again until your health is full.
Do this and attempt to get to the end of B3F without losing health. If you lose health then go back to B2F and then B3F as mentioned above to restore your health and keep doing this until you can do a clean run of B3F, this saves you having to waste time on B1F and B2F just to practice B3F. Do not draw out the Heavy Press fight, hit him hard and fast, and remember to break the statues in the statue room for health and ammo.

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:12 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Wow, hearing that some people haven't even beaten it yet makes me feel proud that it only took me one week (about) to eventually beat Hell and Ballos.
My fastest run is 3'45"7. (PC version)

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:27 AM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Yeah, I only managed to beat Ballos 'cause the game was a bit laggy for me so I had at least a little time to react.

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:00 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
DAE have trouble with Hell? Upvotes to the left.

In all seriousness, the trick I found to help me the most is to not take too much time on anything. Skip what you can and don't be afraid to leave some enemies behind, it won't harm you in the long run.

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:39 AM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
I've finished hell, but it took forever because I stopped to farm for health twice.

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:51 AM
The Eternal Darkness
or took ages before beating it
Like me. It took me about a year to finally beat that idiot sorcerer named Ballos.

Anyway, everyone on the Cave Story Forums has beaten hell many times except a few people. We've all got 3 minute or 2 minute scores. So yeah, you could say we're obsessed with this game.
I have a 15 minute score -_-
Now I feel horrible that I have a speedrun of 2'20"0 in one of my mods.

This is sort-of unrelated, I guess, but is there a reason why some members call the Sacred Grounds "the Sanctuary?"

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Hell was renamed the Blood-Stained Sanctuary for the WIi version and maybe some others

Sep 6, 2012 at 3:41 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
It's actually still in Japanese in the Mac version, which roughly trasnlates to Blood-Stained Sanctuary iirc.
The Mac version is technically .0.0.6 versions behind D:

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Professional Whatever
You guys give good advice.
I just played through Hell with the Snake instead and beat it on my first try (with a time over 11 minutes but whatever)

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Yea, Sacred grounds caused me some problems since this computer sucks at playing Cave Story (I get like, 5-10 frames/second) and I wasn't that great at the game. I remember getting it after like, 5 days with a time of like, 7 min. Since I made it, I was able to start knocking off time by using speed tricks. After getting like, 7'01"2 (Something like that, was my best at the time) I was getting mad since I wanted to get a special title and I just missed the curly one. After some fail attempts, I got 6'59"8 (Once again, something like that) and listened to the Curly title screen. Then I tried to go after the other times. My overall goal was to get the King one (Since King is my favorite character) and I wanted to get a good time at it anyway. About 2-3 months later, (I ended up erasing my old save file) I ended up having to replay the game (And actually paying attention to the game and not bum-rushing through it completely) and getting frustrated at Sacred grounds. After turmoil and what not, I eventually got it. Can't top my best time, but my Cave Story+ time is way better since the game doesn't play at a slow speed.

Sep 7, 2012 at 1:07 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Well it depends on what weapons and health count you have.
I mean if you have the machine gun or nemesis that really won't do you good. ( If you have them)
The spur or snake are good weapons for the stage and the blade and rocket launcher too.
make sure if you can to have a life pot.

Sep 7, 2012 at 1:23 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Uhh

Did you just say the Nemesis is bad for Hell? I must have misread you. You must have confused the Nemesis and the Blade.
I think you confused the Spur with the Machine Gun, too.