A theory.

May 18, 2009 at 6:30 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
King is Arthur. The reason why Toroko doesn't recognize him is because he ate the red flowers and changed (hence his unusual eyes). This is confirmed by the red flowers you can find in Arthur's basement. The effect eventually wore off (which it logically must do after an extended period of time, otherwise there would just be a single petal and not a whole bunch around the beds of those who had changed - they have to keep eating them to stay changed) and Arthur, horrified and disgraced at what he had become, returned to town as King. He kept the fact that he was Arthur from Toroko, but probably let some others like Jack know about it, and had them lie to anyone who asked. He is deeply protective of Toroko, and yet refuses to let this show while she is around to prevent her from realizing the truth. Finally, this explains the power of his sword. Blade is Excalibur, the sword with the soul of a great king inside it.

Oh yeah, and I don't want to hear all the "THAT'S NOT TRUE" stuff, because it's a perfectly reasonable theory if you just THINK about if for five minutes rather than taking everything at face value. Also, consider this: Arthur is the only character not shown in game. Even the previous kings of the island are shown. But Arthur isn't.

Oh, by the way, I didn't write this, I just though it would be relevant here.

May 18, 2009 at 7:52 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Arthur made a name for himself as a hero long after the wars. Yes, King most likely did eat the red flowers, but that was most likely during the war, not after it. I'd highly doubt that King would ever touch that stuff again any time after the war considering what happened.

Though if the name connection was any indication then there is probably a link between King and Arthur. It is more likely that King is Toroko and Arthur's father, though there is no way to verify that.

Sorry, but that theory makes little sense to me chronologically.

May 18, 2009 at 8:06 AM
He who lurks beneath the posts.
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
andwhyisit said:
Arthur made a name for himself as a hero long after the wars. Yes, King most likely did eat the red flowers, but that was most likely during the war, not after it. I'd highly doubt that King would ever touch that stuff again any time after the war considering what happened.

Though if the name connection was any indication then there is probably a link between King and Arthur. It is more likely that King is Toroko and Arthur's father, though there is no way to verify that.

Sorry, but that theory makes little sense to me chronologically.

I have to agree. Alot of this sounds thrown together. and i dont know about the wearing off thing... i think that once enraged they stay enraged until death... I think King likely didnt like the flowers and tried burning them. He breathed in some of the smoke, and results are shown.

Though of course that is still a theory itself so im probity wrong :D

May 18, 2009 at 8:06 AM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
King dosnt eat red flowers.
HE SMOKES THEM!

May 18, 2009 at 8:34 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
The effect of the red flowers doesn't wear off though. If it did, king wouldn't be so devastated that toroko was fed one. It also wouldn't be neccesary for Quote to kill toroko when that happens. The only case of the effect wearing off is when the core is destroyed, when sue and misery turn back into there normal selves and all the mimigas are normal again. When you are at egg .00 for the second time Kazuma also says that the only way to return the mimigas to their normal state could be to destroy the core.
But I would have thought that the residents of mimiga village witnessed arthur being killed by misery.
There are a lot of things in the game that Pixel left for the player to imagine.
You can choose the believe what you like but I don't really think this theory is very valid.

May 18, 2009 at 1:07 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Well, there is Arthur's grave in the game. As in, his body is buried there. The writing on it even says "Here lies Arthur", which wouldn't be there if they never found the body. Also, "Arthur was killed by the Doctor's goons" means that King would be a newcomer to the village if this theory was true. Yet he's the Village's leader. So, I don't really think that Arthur = King.

May 18, 2009 at 2:11 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
It's a cool/interesting theory, but quite unlikely.

May 18, 2009 at 7:12 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
My thought was that King and Arthur fought alongside one another at some point in time. King, giving up his desire for power gave up the use of red flowers and began training to be a swordsman like Arthur. Some time later, Dr. Date and company started plucking out mimigas for their project. Arthur in his fear that they may come for any more set out alone to take on Date, but was unfortunately slain in battle right before King's very eyes.

Loosely basing this story off of theory, I think that King ran after Arthur soon after learning that he had set off to confront Dr. Date. Toroko, who was left in the care of his apprentice, King, went after King against his wishes. By the time of their arrival, King had just witnessed Arthur's defeat, Toroko not too far behind king seeing this as well.

Just as King was to deal a deadly blow, Dr. Date simply laughs calmly and he and his minions all teleported away, leaving King cursing himself and left with the responsibility of Toroko, continuing Arthur's favor. He unfortunately was the one to bury Arthur with the help of his best friend, Jack. Weeks later, Quote enters the village and Cave Story begins.

Of course, it's all just theory and common sense story telling that comes to mind. May not have happened exactly in that fashion, but perhaps something relatively close.

May 19, 2009 at 2:14 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
IIRC, it's said somewhere that Arthur was like "a father" to King and Toroko.
Let's say, Arthur is 20yo and King is 15.

I have this impression that King was still a child or "teenage" in Arthur's days.
Although I do like the theory..

May 19, 2009 at 2:44 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
GuilhermeEin said:
IIRC, it's said somewhere that Arthur was like "a father" to King and Toroko.
I do not recall anything like that being said in the game. How the heck is Arthur "like a father" to Toroko when he is Toroko's brother (which is mentioned in the game)?

May 19, 2009 at 2:50 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Whoa, whoa!

andwhyisit said:
I do not recall anything like that being said in the game. How the heck is Arthur "like a father" to Toroko when he is Toroko's brother (which is mentioned in the game)?
Whoa, whoa!
Where are people hearing these family connections!?
The only family connection I ever remember hearing from Cave Story is Toroko being Arthur's brother..

The King and Arthur being one and the same idea sounds kinda cheesy and thrown together...
It also doesn't really hold against the evidence already shown...

King also seemed to radiant a bit of age, to me.
I think he's been around for awhile....
Kinda imagined him older than even Arthur.

May 25, 2009 at 1:58 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
mmm good theory but I think that King protects Toroko because he was a friend of Arthur. When Arthur died, King decided to protect toroko as favor to Arthur xD

May 25, 2009 at 2:06 PM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
mmm good theory but I think that King protects Toroko because he was a friend of Arthur. When Arthur died, King decided to protect toroko as favor to Arthur xD
Couldn't it simply be so that King is in love with Toroko? That's what I tought.

May 26, 2009 at 12:21 AM
No, I'm pretty sure Toroko is supposed to be pretty young. That would just be creepy.
Sounds like a job for Jacob.

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:43 PM
Hmm... I might have misinterpreted things, but I got the impression that Toroko was old, something like 65 years... Especially her theme sounds a little bit 'grayly hued'.

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:32 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I'd hit her...
King protects Toroko because he is the leader of the village.
So top these disgusting rumors :/

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:34 PM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
andwhyisit said:

I had always assumed that Arthur was a brother to tokoro but much older, so he could easily take on a father/guardian role to her. The "King is Arthur" theory seems plausible to me, but my conclusion has always been that King fought alongside Arthur and when Arthur died, he took over the guardian role to tokoro.

Jun 13, 2009 at 3:21 AM
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOUR HEAD?!
Asperger's syndrome, though I wouldn't say that it is a piece of wrongness.
So top these disgusting rumors :/
Meaning we come up with better rumors? ^_^

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:01 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
You guys are silly. This is practically thrown in your faces in the game. Look at King. Look at Arthur's House's lower level. Look at how protective King is of Toroko. LOOK AT "KING" AND "ARTHUR". You guys and your odd theories. Arthur is King's father? Come on, now. Why assume something that far-fetched when it's as clear as can be? I'd have thought there'd be a discussion on such things as "does Jack or anyone else know?" and the like. Not this. Also, King strikes some of you as old? I pictured him young and a little reckless, seeing as he's consumed red flowers and all.

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:07 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Silly Thread

This thread's a joke, and you're a bit late XD
Also:

ShwahnStuff said:
Also, King strikes some of you as old? I pictured him young and a little reckless, seeing as he's consumed red flowers and all.
Do you mean you thought Arthur was young and reckless? Because King never ate any red flowers O.o;