A mod I want to make someday.

May 1, 2012 at 5:41 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So I havent played too many CS mods. Only a few actually. So I hope I'm not copying anybody, but I want to make a mod where you play as... I guess, a beta version of the Curly/Quote robots. So it's not complete yet, and looks different. So this would take place during the war, possibly a little earlier. Earlier than when Quote was sent to destroy the crown. It could explain how the name Curly Brace came to be (there isnt anything like that yet right?) and how the polar star came to be ( I know the hermit made it, but I was thinking about giving it more background since it is my favorite gun... I just like the name really xD) And you would go to the island and see Mimiga village before it was messed up, and see Arthur! I always wondered what he looked like. Personally, I thought of like king arthur. I also thought maybe this "beta" version of Quote could have been sent with the Sakamotos to the island. That wouldnt make too much sense if this takes place during the war. Perhaps when the mimiga supposedly went to the surface, that's when the robot finally escaped, and was THEN sent with the sakamotos during their trip.

The design of the robot you play as was sorta inspired by the robots you see when you fight the core for the first time...
betaquote.png
That one

It looks a bit different though. At this point I do actually have some sprites of him I've been working on.
GorlokkMyChar.jpg
He only has one headphone thing instead of two, and it has a microphone.
Ideas I had would be that the person who created this robot had a voice chip or something that would allow him to speak, however it wasnt fully completed, so some of the robots had trouble being able to communicate. That could also explain why Quote is quiet most of the... All of the game (aside from his line in Curly mode)

I was thinking that (even though I want it to be the good guy) that he could just be one of the killer robots, and you actually are sent to kill the Mimiga. This brings up another Idea... So if this robot wasnt able to communicate, but can still think, and also has some sort of emotion (like Curly and Quote) then he could be sent to kill Mimiga, but knows he shouldnt, but is programmed to, so ends up attacking the mimga anyway, making the mimiga fight back, making Mimiga Village a harmful place rather than a safe place to just chill. So you have to explore different parts of the island trying to find your way out without the teleporter.

I have some drawings I have done showing a better desing of this robot, but unfortunately I do not have access to a scanner right now, so I'll upload them later.

One last Idea I have is that you get to see what the robot is thinking. In Cave Story, pretty much all the text was from talking to otehr people... And getting items and stuff like that. So I was thinking that in this you get to see what the robot is thinking, what he WANTS to say, but can't due to his malfunctioning voice chip thing. It could give you hints on what to do, where to go/check and just more interesting dialogue for reading.

Anyway, that's just something I think would be fun to make. Right now, I don't know much about modding, I know a little, but still need to look into it. Graphics are something I think I can handle. I like doing pixel art, and like to think I do a pretty decent job. But before I actually were to make this, I'd like to know what you guys think of this. I'm ready, start throwin out all the problems with my ideas, I'll try to fix them.

Thanks for reading.

On a slightly unrelated topic, yesterday was Pixels birthday, right? 4-29? I'm pretty sure that's right. And on just that day, I finally got under 3 minutes on Hell :D So satisfying!

Gorlokk1.png

May 1, 2012 at 6:30 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
We do actually have a couple of other mods in a similar vein, but for now I'll wait and see what you come up with rather than spoil the party.

Like the artwork :o

May 1, 2012 at 10:51 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Well then get to modding.

May 3, 2012 at 4:28 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
May 3, 2012 at 6:22 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"